Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link

Go down 
+4
fishgoblue22
MichiganFootball13
CharlotteGuy
1umgoblue85
8 posters
AuthorMessage
1umgoblue85

1umgoblue85

Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link Empty
PostSubject: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 5:06 pm

http://www.freep.com/article/20120321/SPORTS06/120321044/trey-burke-nba-michigan

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Will be the worst mistake of this kids early basketball career.
Back to top Go down
MichiganFootball13

MichiganFootball13

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 6:03 pm

None of the Michigan players are NBA-ready
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm

If the money is there you take it.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:57 pm

It's not all about money or at least it shouldn't be. The kid is what, 19? $100,000 or whatever it is seems like a lot of money now but what happens when that runs out? What do you have left?

I am fully aware that Trey most likely won't become a Doctor, Engineer, etc. but even a General Studies degree from The University of Michigan is worth a lot. You might argue, "But you can always go back to school." but let's be honest, who really thinks that Trey will go back to Michigan, pay for at least 3 years tuition, and he may not be able to survive the riggers of academia without all of the "extra help" that athletes get.

So say it is $100,000, he'll be passing up $45,000 in scholarship money for $55K. That's a big risk but who knows if the kid will see it that way.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 6:21 am

100,000 is a lot less than he will make in the NBA. If sources say he is a 1st round pick, he needs to jump. End of story. College is supposed to prepare you for your career after college. If the experts in his chosen career say he is ready, then why stay and risk injury? If they tell him he isn't a 1st round pick and he still goes, then that is making a bad descision.

Back to top Go down
CharlotteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:00 am

How would anybody tell this kid he is a 1st rd pick honestly. I mean I like Burke a lot, but I don't see him anywhere near a 1st rd pick. He needs 2 more years in my eyes barring a huge improvement next year.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 am

CharlotteGuy wrote:
How would anybody tell this kid he is a 1st rd pick honestly. I mean I like Burke a lot, but I don't see him anywhere near a 1st rd pick. He needs 2 more years in my eyes barring a huge improvement next year.

I agree, but the NBA is notorious for drafting on potential. They will pay a guy big money to maybe be ready in a few years. Happens quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 am

FISH, I couldn't agree with you more. And 2ndCOMING, as much as I admire most of your posts' points, might I ask what your morning coffee was spiked with when you cite $100K as the salary for an NBA first-round pick?
You're off by a factor of 25 or so, bud.

Now of course there are the variables: IS Trey a first-round pick? Right now, that's mere speculation; a process of evaluation he needs to thoroughly pursue. There is his height (5-11), which can't help him;
against the forests of trees that every NBA team possesses, how many of his drive-to-the-hoop layups will go down? The Marty Blakes of the world certainly know that. And, there is his still-growing, strengthening 19-year-old body. Yep, lots of questions needing answers. And not knee-jerk ones.

But if the likelihood is high of first-round status (if, for instance, as his dad says, this draft is slight on guards), he HAS to take his seven-figure salary and run, much as it hurts this Michigan fan to admit. With a fraction of his first-year salary, IFF* a first-rounder, he could buy TEN college educations. You're only young (and at your athletic peak) once.

*-in my U-M math courses, that was short for "if AND ONLY if".

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 9:49 am

Yeah, michmike, from everything I've read, this draft is ultra-light on guards...and he's predicted to be taken in the top 5 of PG's.

The league minimum for a rookie in the NBA last year was: $473,604

Each year of service in the league bumps up your minimum guaranteed salary (which is different than the NFL and MLB I'm pretty sure).

Here's the table: http://www.insidehoops.com/minimum-nba-salary.shtml

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 am

But a first round pick makes a lot more than the minimum.

That is for the #8 through #12 players on the bench.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:22 am

Oh I know, just providing context in regards to if he made it in the league and sat the bench his first season.

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Try this one.

This is the rookie scale for last year.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

PostSubject: Re: Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link   Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link Empty

Back to top Go down

Burke possibly to NBA,,,FREEP link
Page 1 of 1