Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gardner, WR from MGoBlog

Go down 
+4
BetterThansparty
joe
fishgoblue22
Admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Gardner, WR from MGoBlog Empty
PostSubject: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Saw this posted by 'Dog on the other board...

On Devin Gardner. Someone who's seen Gardner at all of Michigan's practices so far says he's "instantly Michigan's best receiver and adds a new dimension to the offense." He's "crazy athletic" with "surprisingly great hands." The one complication for Gardner-to-WR is the situation at quarterback, where he's still the clear #2 option. Gardner is still taking all the second team QB reps.

/end inside info, begin speculation

A lot of people have been mentioning Woodson when talking about this when trying to guess how much playing time is reasonable for a guy who's still full time at a second position. He got 10-15 snaps a game on offense back in '97. Gardner may start at that level, but if it's crunch time and he's 6'5" with a city block catching radius…

If he is instantly the teams best WR...that's where he needs to be. If something crazy were to happen with him being injured at WR, followed by an injury by DR, and we're screwed with no qb, so be it.

I'll take my chances with that equation.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Vince Young, Marquise Gray both took full time snaps at WR when they were #2 QB's and then became the first string QB the next season. I see no problem with that at all.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 5:16 pm

I believe Dog opined that a day or 2 ago only to be derided viciously by the fucking idiot from Arizona.

I believe vindication and an apology from the maroon were in order but that will never happen.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 6:05 pm

What were you two doing on mlive?

I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of DG taking reps at WR but if it does work-out AND, as I've been hearing, Bellemy is starting to show some real talent who knows?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 2:48 pm

What really bugs me is DG will try being a wide out a position he may or may not be suited for in the pros. Yet shoes won't even try it a positionhe is destned to play in the pros. What is wrong with that picture What a Face

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 2:56 pm

the artist formally known wrote:
What really bugs me is DG will try being a wide out a position he may or may not be suited for in the pros. Yet shoes won't even try it a positionhe is destned to play in the pros. What is wrong with that picture What a Face

Why would you want the starting QB playing WR? He is the leader of this team. Has been for 2 seasons and will be for a third. He gives UM the best chance to win every week by playing QB. Who gives a flying rats ass what the NFL thinks he will play. I want DR under center in 2012, because he is the most dangerous player on the field and putting him at WR limits his options.

So you ask what is wrong with this picture and I say Absolutely Nothing is wrong with this picture.
Back to top Go down
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:33 pm

^^what he said
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am

Yes I would hate to see him get the ball in the open field with maybe 3-4 guys to beat. I would much rather see him try and run past 11 guys, 4 that are 270 pounds and 3 that are 250 pounds as many time as DR runs this year under this new system he would be gettin passes thrown to him as reciever. That would also open the run game and cause defenses to know where he is all the time not to mention options and reverses. Course if he;s the QB he get way more pub. Just sayin if he not the best QB on the team. Then some one else should be there. Not sayin he's not the best athelete on the team.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 9:57 am

A coupla things:

Gardner is NOT getting all of the second team snaps any more, Bellomy is getting about half. I have heard that DG is willing to do anything necessary to get on the field and help the team. This is huge, as rumors of his bad attitude toward the end of last season had damaged him in my eyes.

Shoelace is our best option at QB, and DG is our best option at WR. Period.

I have also heard that Jerald Robinson is stepping up his game and impressing observers. The WR corps is obviously a much greater threat with DG and J-Rob sucking in any ball in their vicinity like black holes, Roundtree and Gallon just don't have the same sphere of influence (for lack of a better term).

joe

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 am

DG wsure would be a nice big target for Denard to hit.
And it would be grear seeing Devin using that long stride tearing up yrdage.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 am

DG has got to be on the field, end of story.

And, as Dog said, there's no way in hell I'm sticking him in at QB over Shoelace. Not gonna happen. Not a freaking chance.

DR is the most electrifying, dangerous player in CFB, imho.

And based on the videos I watched of DG at camps prior to coming to AA, the boy can catch, jump and run. He won't be a burner, but that stride of his will allow him to beat some 5-9 corners, that's for sure (and I didn't even mention that he's 6-4).

Again, interesting to see how this plays out, but I fully expect to see DG at WR if he's in the top 3 WR's on the team.

If he gets hurt playing WR, then DR gets hurt at QB, and we're stuck with Bellomy, so be it. I'll take my chances against that whole scenario playing out.

Don't dick this up, Borges. You're pretty much the only guy on the staff I haven't fully endorsed (and you can blame yourself and that bullshit 4th down call in EL).

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:36 am

Borges didn't exactly exemplify himself with those goal line plays in Iowa either.

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:54 am

I admit DG if he's all that everyone say's he is could be Megatron Jr in a couple of years size, speed , Hands and the sort, butif his heart and soul arn't in it , his attitude could be a issue.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Borges made the right calls vs Iowa. Just didn't get them completed.

If you ask me, he is the best OC in the B1G. Just taking the West Coast and blending it with Spread was pure genious.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:13 pm

I have looked at this thread 3-4 times and even started a reply and then canceled. To say I am conflicted about this move would be an understatement. This move comes with some serious risks. Injury being one of the biggest.

I can appreciate that DG is a stud and you want to get him on the field. I just do not know if the benefit of having him on the field as a wr outweigh the risks of injury.

It will be very interesting to see how he is used. He may only come in 5-6 times or they may use him in the red zone for jump balls. I do not think you can judge this move this far out.

If DG gets hurt it was a horrible move. Irresponsible.

If DG comes in for red zone chances and get 4-5 TD's it is a genius move.

This is where the coaches make their money. They get praised when they win and crucified when they lose.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:55 am

The only problem with bringing him in in redzone situations is it will be obvious to opposing defenses then. They'll bracket him with a safety over the top almost every time. Sure, that opens up the middle for another WR, but in order to take advantage of his skills in the endzone, he's got to be on the field in more than just those situations, IMHO.

WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 am

I don't disagree Admin but more field time=more injury exposure.
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 am

Good thoughts Willie, but from what I have heard DG just wants to play football, and Bellomy is a more than adequate QB. The kid's wishes have to be taken into consideration.

You are correct in that this is why the coaches get the big bucks, I'd hate to have to make these types of decisions!

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:02 am

Oh, absolutely.

I just worry about WR corp this year, and of DG can add to it in a big way, I think I have to take my chances if I'm Hoke/Borgess. Just me though.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Damn you iPhone. Curse you.

I'm getting on my computer now.

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 am

Last year this was a moot point because we had no other QB backup. Apparently now we do.

Get the kid on the field!

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:12 am

THEstjoemfan wrote:
Last year this was a moot point because we had no other QB backup. Apparently now we do.

Get the kid on the field!

Yes.

That's the only main thought behind my reasoning. If the whispers are true, Bellomy could/will be the #2 this season anyway, or at least very comparable to DG.

WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 am

Ok just playing Devils Advocate here-

Let's say Bellomy is as good as some of your predicting and could be the #2. And-DG just wants to be on the field. We just wasted at least a year of eligibility did we not?

I guess I am still skeptical as to the motive behind him playing wr. I think this is a one year limited time deal. He may see 20 plays max at WR. DG will be QB in 2013 and with Morris coming Bellomy may never see the field.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gardner, WR from MGoBlog   Gardner, WR from MGoBlog Empty

Back to top Go down

Gardner, WR from MGoBlog
Page 1 of 1