Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Excellent read. There are many of these things i had no idea about.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Go_Blue

Go_Blue

Excellent read.  There are many of these things i had no idea about. Empty
PostSubject: Excellent read. There are many of these things i had no idea about.   Excellent read.  There are many of these things i had no idea about. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 1:59 pm

One thing though, I did not see where it mentioned the $$ the schools get from the Bowl Game. Doesn't each school get 14 million for a Rose Bowl? I know they spread it out within the Conference.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--bowls--extravagant-revenues-are-closely-examined-as-the-ncaa-mulls-a-playoff-system.html

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Excellent read. There are many of these things i had no idea about.   Excellent read.  There are many of these things i had no idea about. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 2:19 pm

that was an eye opening read. great article. great post.

it left me kind of bitter at the bowls but I just can't see the B1G champ not playing in the Rose Bowl. I can't even imagine how I'd feel about that.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Excellent read. There are many of these things i had no idea about.   Excellent read.  There are many of these things i had no idea about. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:00 pm

When did capitalism become a bad thing? If you can come up with a way for people to pay you for something, and they willingly pay you, what is the problem? It isn't the bowl games' fault that they make millions, it is the universities' fault.

Capitalism is the American dream. With the current admin, they try to make it a sin.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: I read a story about it once   Excellent read.  There are many of these things i had no idea about. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Go_Blue wrote:
One thing though, I did not see where it mentioned the $$ the schools get from the Bowl Game. Doesn't each school get 14 million for a Rose Bowl? I know they spread it out within the Conference.

At least how the bowl money gets split. (This was before the BTN so that $ wasn't even in the equation.

Ok, so the team going to the bowl gets to pay their expenses off the top. I believe there is a cap on this so a BCS team can't just go all extravegant and spend 14Mil.

After expenses the remainder gets put in a big fund and "sorta" sits there collecting interest.

The way I read it is the money is in a huge perpetual fund that rolls over every 6 years. When you give in this year you get out from 6 years ago.

It was an interesting story and I really don't know if I could find it again. I'm a little busy but maybe I'll look.

Ity gives the athletic departments 6 years to schedule their budgets and such that way.

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Excellent read. There are many of these things i had no idea about.   Excellent read.  There are many of these things i had no idea about. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:50 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
When did capitalism become a bad thing?

the point I took away from the article wasn't the capitalism of the bowls, it was the monetary hurdle the bowls will have to get over to put a playoff together. You can bet that the bowls won't take to kindly to less revenue therefore they will probably pass that difference on to the fans via higher ticket prices, higher hotel fees, etc.

and fish... to play the devil's advocate.... I'll bet that you find it more than a little annoying that you're paying nearly $4 a gallon at the pump and there's an example of capitalism being a bad thing. You don't have to drive, you can walk or get a bike. Just like I don't have to go to the bowl games. I choose to go watch the games and the prices annoy me but I deal with it.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Excellent read. There are many of these things i had no idea about.   Excellent read.  There are many of these things i had no idea about. EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 4:48 pm

fish, that isn't capitalism that the bowls are doing. That's blatant ass-raping. They are making an obscene amount of money off of amateur athletes. I find it even more repulsive that the bowls charge for player's families. These are college kids for crying out loud.

Yea, I know it's bouncy-ball but look at "The Fab Five" documentary. Mitch Albom said that he was talking to Chris Webber one day and Chris asked if he could borrow $10 for gas. Then they walked by a sports store display and it had a Michigan #4 jersey with Webber on the back. It cost $80 and Chris responded that "I've gotta borrow money for gas and they're selling that for $80?" Albom knew Webber was gone right then and there. I'm actually looking at Chris in a different light now, I still dislike bouncy-ball but no-longer do I hate Webber.

This is an amateur event, why are the bowls making MILLIONS of dollars?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excellent read. There are many of these things i had no idea about.   Excellent read.  There are many of these things i had no idea about. Empty

Back to top Go down

Excellent read. There are many of these things i had no idea about.
Page 1 of 1