Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New academic requirements coming to college football

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

New academic requirements coming to college football Empty
PostSubject: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:37 am

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8236949/ncaa-increases-minimum-eligibility-standards-division-student-athletes

Much too long (but mainly much too boring) for me to get all the way through it, but to sum it up: It's going to get quite a bit tougher for HS kids to qualify for college as well as tougher for current players to remain eligible.

As for the HS kids, going forward they're going to have to achieve a 2.3 GPA instead of a 2.0. They also have to complete 10 of their required 16 core courses before their senior year in HS.

Couldn't really find how things will be changing for current college athletes (but I only skimmed for it).

So these HS kids now, if they don't qualify under the new rules, do have some leeway via the old rules, but not a lot: they'll still be admitted to the school (if the school wants to admit them, anyway), but the NCAA will force an 'academic redshirt'. They can practice and do everything with the team except compete on Saturdays (or whatever day that sport's event falls on).

Here's a toast to having Brady as our guy, a coach who ALREADY focuses on recruiting QUALITY young men.

This rule shouldn't affect us much if at all.

It will be tough however on the OSU's, Florida's and FSU's of the football world. Same for the Kentucky's of the basketball world.

Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:37 am

PS, Joe has been 'warning' us of this coming for a while now.

Kudos, Joe. You were right.

(Not that we ever doubted ya).

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 10:36 am

Ridiculous. I don't care if they can spell C-A-T if they can play. Don't break the law and work hard in class and play hard. That's all I care about.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 pm

I am starting to notice a theme Fish.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 6:23 pm

We're Michigan, we hold ourselves to a higher standard. Also, look at all of the idiots who have all the talent in the world but are complete moron. Maurice Clarrett, Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens, etc.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 7:54 pm

What will this mean to the notoriously "crafty" schools. Meaning the schools that find ways to get kids to into college that can't tell you who the first president was or how many states there are. I'm mainly talking about the SEC. A lot of the kids those schools target are going to be ineligible to recruit. I wonder if we'll see a trend of them coming up north to recruit some of the more intelligible kids from the east coast or the Midwest.

And that is not to say all the kids from the east coast or Midwest are super bright but sometimes I wonder about many of those kids from the south.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:33 pm

I hate to put a damper on our pride but Manningham? How in the Hell did he get in? Yes the guy was good but a 7 on the Wonderlic befuddles me.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:58 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
I hate to put a damper on our pride but Manningham? How in the Hell did he get in? Yes the guy was good but a 7 on the Wonderlic befuddles me.

Yep you are right. I was thinking about that as I was typing but IMHO there is a HUGE difference between a guy or two every few classes and a dozen or so in every class.

by the way, I couldn't have cared less if Mario couldn't read a stop sign when he caught that pass against Penn St. ha ha. I know that's terrible to say.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 2:40 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
by the way, I couldn't have cared less if Mario couldn't read a stop sign when he caught that pass against Penn St. ha ha. I know that's terrible to say.

IIRC the Wonderlic thing didn't come out until after "the catch" and at that moment. I was sitting, in that end-zone, next to the Pedd State faithful that made the trip, and seeing them literally cry in the aisles after Manningham made that catch. That is, was, and will always be my favorite moment in The Big House. Mind you, I was there for our 2003 victory over ohio, the 2003 drubbing of Notre Dame, the 2002 crushing of sparty, as well as several other big games.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New academic requirements coming to college football   New academic requirements coming to college football Empty

Back to top Go down

New academic requirements coming to college football
Page 1 of 1