Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My thoughts, one day later

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

My thoughts, one day later Empty
PostSubject: My thoughts, one day later   My thoughts, one day later EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 7:49 pm

These are just my thoughts. Take them for what they're worth and respond to any you would like.

1. Dave Brandon should NOT have scheduled this game against Alabama. I had been dreading this game for over 2 years now. Absolutely dreading it. It was scheduled during RichRod's third year while we were going through the worst 3 year stretch in Michigan football history. We had defenses that were giving up 500 yards to the mighty Indiana Hoosiers in back-to-back years. We couldn't stay within 4 touchdowns of any ranked teams. What on earth made Brandon think that in 2 short years, we would be be able to even compete with a team like Bama? Don't get me wrong. Last year's 11-2 season was wonderful. I loved it. But the Big Ten as whole was down just like it's been for several years now and we had all of our biggest opponents at home, save for MSU. And the Sugar Bowl? 9 times out of 10, a team that plays as bad as we did will lose that game.

Dave Brandon sacrificed a home game and a lot of money to get this game against Bama in Dallas. He said the exposure was worth it. No. It's not worth it to get your asses handed to you when the entire country is watching. And let's be honest. Bama could have scored much more than they did in the second half. But they played very conservative to run the clock. Probably the only time I have ever agreed with Kirk Herbstreit was when he said that despite last year's record, Michigan is still in the process of getting the program back on track. A game against a Bama like team would have been better suited 5 years or so down the line, once Hoke's recruiting classes were in and with plenty of experience under their belts. We still have plenty of RichRod's smaller players that need to graduate.

2. I love Denard. He is a humble, down-to-earth person who is very easy to like. He's a wonderful athlete that is capable of doing exciting things. But he is never going to be a very big threat as a passer. Our opponents know that if you can stop him from running, you will most likely beat us. I think we as fans were naturally drawn to his play making ability at first because of his insane speed. We're not used to having quarterbacks with that much mobility. But I find myself preferring the style of our bigger, slower, drop back quarterbacks like Chad Henne, Brian Griese, Tom Brady and Elvis Grbac. With Denard, every time he takes off running, part of me feels excited but a bigger part is always scared to death that he's going to come up limping or injured once 3 defenders knock him down. Going to the Purdue and Minnesota games last year, I was amazed at how much smaller he looks in person. I'm actually surprised he doesn't get injured more often than he actually does. I will miss Denard after he graduates this year, yes. But at the same time, I feel it's best that we can move on from him. We need to get a strong passing game back.

3. We still have a chance at a decent season. After week one, the Big Ten looks absolutely awful. Iowa needed a late 4th quarter touchdown to escape Northern Illinois 18-17. Northern Iowa had a chance to beat Wisconsin in Madison but fell short 26-21. Penn State, not surprisingly lost to Ohio U and they will struggle like that for the next several years. MSU trailed a Boise State team with 5 total returning starters into the 4th quarter. They also have no passing game, no decent receivers and they played just as dirty as you would expect a Dantonio team to play with almost 100 yards in penalties. Western was lifeless against Illinois but it was still only a 10 point game at the start of the 4th quarter. If this is any indication on what the conference will look like this year, all is not lost. Any of the Big Ten teams would have gotten destroyed at the hands of Bama had they played them. And we're obviously not going to face an offense and defense that is half as good as Bama the rest of the year.

A night road game at Nebraska still concerns me greatly. I'm also very worried that once we go to Columbus, Braxton Miller will go all Troy Smith on us. And a non-conference night game at Notre Dame is very dangerous. But I expect us to win every other game on our schedule. And I just pray to GOD that we come out on top in those other 3 games mentioned above.

I guess that's all for now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
booboo

booboo

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts, one day later   My thoughts, one day later EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:19 pm

I agree with you. 1st, scheduling the game for exposure was dumb. Might sound arrogant, but M has national exposure, plus with road games at ND, Neb., & OSU, it was foolish for DB to schedule another away game.

I had the chance to meet DR 2 yrs ago, like you said, he is very humble, he was very polite, all around great guy. Talke to him all of 5 mins., but very impressed. But you are right, is he still struggles at passing, especially road games. Late last yr., he looked much better vs Neb., and OSU. Road games, neutral site games he struggles big time.

Find out about senior leadership, team togetherness. If M has the senior leaders, keeps team together, they will be find. If team really not together, if finger pointing has already started, then AF & ND could be toss ups, with a chance of being 1-3. Only kids on team know that. If 3-1 after ND, bye week, easily could be 5-1 for sparties.

Talking about sparties, I'm guess there was a big circle jerk on campus last night. The hatred for M is unbelievable. I'm on twitter, so I was following along during game. That was a mistake, because I might have had several beers, so its possible I said things to spartie fans. I kept reminding them you lost 49-7 just 2 yrs ago, how can you cheer for bama? Didn't matter, they hate M. Delvon Roe, former spartie BB player was just ripping DR and M. So I started ripping back, said your last 2 games against M, you lost so your taking your frustration out on M. Said some other stuff, but he never responded back, oh well.

B10 didn't look really good, in fact I think MAC played better. if BGSU could kick FG's, might have been different outcome vs Florida. The division and conf title are still attainable goals.

You know what, I'll be in AA on sat., cheering like hell vs Air Force. Just like the rest of you who can make game, Can't change outcome or perception from media, national or local, but I proud to be a Michigan Wolverine!!!
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts, one day later   My thoughts, one day later EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:43 pm

The MAC was solid. If BG can hang with Florida IN Florida than why can't we make it respectable with Alabama? I realize Florida is no Alabama BUT I also would like to think that Michigan is no BG. This is what haunts me about that game. We were out done in ever phase of the game. Hell even their kick off guy was routinely kicking to the 1 yd. line to avoid touchbacks to the 25.

I agree the game should not have been scheduled. I was loving all the publicity we were getting last week but what an embarrassment last night.

Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts, one day later   My thoughts, one day later EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 10:43 am

Good stuff WH, my thoughts exactly and I couldn't have said it better.

Seriously, I couldn't! Embarassed

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts, one day later   My thoughts, one day later EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 12:16 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
The MAC was solid. If BG can hang with Florida IN Florida than why can't we make it respectable with Alabama? I realize Florida is no Alabama BUT I also would like to think that Michigan is no BG. This is what haunts me about that game. We were out done in ever phase of the game. Hell even their kick off guy was routinely kicking to the 1 yd. line to avoid touchbacks to the 25.

Florida's program has been a joke ever since they lost Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow after the '09 season. They have lost 13 games the last 2 years and they are 2-11 against teams with winning records. The lone victories have been over 8-5 South Florida and 7-6 Penn State. Saturday was not the first time they struggled with a MAC opponent. Heck, even 1-AA Furman was able to score 32 points on their defense at the Swamp last year.

You can't use Bowling Green's performance against Florida to torture yourself over our performance against Bama. Florida and Bama are not in the same universe right now. And despite our issues, Bowling Green is no Michigan. I assure you of that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts, one day later   My thoughts, one day later EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 11:07 am

That all sounds about right, WH.

Much like what I wrote here: http://mgorecruiting.blogspot.com/2012/09/step-away-from-ledge-2012-can-still-be.html

You and I have pretty much the exact same feelings regarding the rest of this season.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts, one day later   My thoughts, one day later Empty

Back to top Go down

My thoughts, one day later
Page 1 of 1