Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MSU should be good next year...

Go down 
+2
WillieMfan
jjabilene
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jjabilene

MSU should be good next year... Empty
PostSubject: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 am

I don't know what everyone's feelings are on this, but I saw on another forum some people basically dismissing MSU as a threat going forward. However, if you look at their team, they could be pretty tough next year. While their offense has been predictably bad this year, losing two lineman and Sims has contributed to that. If they hadn't lost those guys, it could have been the difference in some of their close losses. Of course, every team has injuries, but they probably could have tolerated them much more on D rather than on offense.

Looking at next year, they lose very little, assuming nobody leaves early. Their current junior class really has a lot of talent on it. The D should continue to be very strong and the offense may be serviceable. I personally don't think Maxwell is terrible, but he's had very little to work with, from the receivers to the line to the offensive coordinator.

Now, having said all that, I'm having a tough time seeing them maintain after next season. Basically, the advantage they gained in terms of recruiting during the RichRod era will be gone. Hoke has really locked down both Michigan and Ohio in terms of recruiting. OSU is still recruiting very strong and Kelly has been cleaning up. I just don't see a re-occurrence of the perfect storm that led to their success of the last couple of years. I guess what it boils down to is that I think the natural order of things won't fully be restored until 2014. But Saturday's win was a necessary part of turning that corner.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 am

Eh...we'll see. I am not sold on Maxwell. Cousins was a once in a lifetime QB for them. I mean he is their career leader in passing. I think Bell will leave. He needs to. He is taking enough punishment for two season this year.

That said I agree the 2014 will start the real slide. Like you said Dantonio is not faring well in the recruiting battle anymore.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:31 am

Our QB situation heading into next season is the only thing that keeps me from saying we make it two in a row and begin running away with this game on an annual basis again.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:32 am

And Oline. Losing for sure: Mealer, Barnum and Omeha. Probably losing Lewan. So that is four out of five starters. Yikes.
Back to top Go down
jjabilene

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
And Oline. Losing for sure: Mealer, Barnum and Omeha. Probably losing Lewan. So that is four out of five starters. Yikes.

Yeah, I'm still holding out hope, maybe foolishly, that Lewan will come back. I think we'd at least have a respectable line if that happened. I don't think the other three are great players, but three starters is three starters.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 11:43 am

jjabilene wrote:
...three starters is three starters.

You got that right. One area in which we won't suffer as a result is the case of having a great returning QB who has to newly adjust to a different snap cadence, new blockers, etc....bcause our QB will be new as well.

As for Taylor, I'd give us a 10% chance of having him back next year...at best. When he's projected to
be a second-round pick by most, first-round by some?
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 12:26 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:

This is a nightmare that will haunt me for a long time. I did not realize it was going to be that bad. Day ruined. Sad
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Lewan is a tough call. He's good enough, maybe to go now. He has the raw talent but IMHO not the game smarts yet. He is a big kid and loves Michigan. But turniung down 6 figures is tough for anyone, and playing in the NFL has been a dream of his for a long time (I'm assuming but don't think that it is a stretch to do so). My guess/hope is that he'll be back. I won't wager any money on it but I think that he wants one more year with the twosie...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Maybe he will talk to Jake Long. He was projected as a 1st/2nd rounder after his RSJR year, stayed and was the #1 pick. Not saying TL is a #1 pick, but could be a higher 1st Round pick if he stays.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Good point 'fish. I'm not saying that I know a lot of info. on this topic but I am aware that Taylor idiolizes Long. My guess is that has happenhed already and will continue through next summer (hopfully).

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MSU should be good next year...   MSU should be good next year... Empty

Back to top Go down

MSU should be good next year...
Page 1 of 1