Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

This is funny!!!

Go down 
+4
WillieMfan
michmike
wshoes
GOBLUEJOE66
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Wait until you see who's picture is on the front page of this article!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/949886-college-football-the-worst-coach-in-the-history-of-every-bcs-program

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Did not read the article but RichRod is a helluva coach who did not work out at Mich. He was highly successful at every stop before Mich and is likely to be successful at Arizona.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
michmike

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Sorry, 'Shoes, I'm not convinced. He had one very good year at WYU...the season they concluded by clobbering Oklahoma in their bowl (not that big-game whippings of America's most over-hyped, overrated coach Stoops are things of rarity). The rest, like this season at Arizona, were average to slightly above.

He was so destructive to the winningest program of all time, I simply cannot agree with your "helluva" degree, even if a relative thing. To take a perpetually-double-digit-winning program and turn it into one lucky to be bowl eligible once in his three years, and all but destroy, or at best totally neglect, the defensive side of the ball, requires some serious devastation.

I can't see him working out anywhere, beyond maybe the occasional 8-4 season, including at least one 3-to-4-touchdown blowout loss among those four losses. At best.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:00 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree. He has Arizona at 6-4 this year including wins over Oklahoma State and USC. West Virginia was 32-5 with three straight bowl wins in his last 3 years there, I think that is more than one year.

He was undermined greatly by others at Mich and made some of his own critical errors but he did not deserve to be treated the way he was.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 pm

wshoes wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. He has Arizona at 6-4 this year including wins over Oklahoma State and USC. West Virginia was 32-5 with three straight bowl wins in his last 3 years there, I think that is more than one year.

He was undermined greatly by others at Mich and made some of his own critical errors but he did not deserve to be treated the way he was.

'shoes

Ummm...what's the debate again?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Shoes, I don't disagree with you, but that isn't the point of the article. No one can say he was successful at UM, no matter how you slice it.
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm

I actually had fun clicking through every team to see who the worst coaches have been.

Kind of a bummer to see Gary Moeller listed for Illinois (1977-79) and in his Michigan hat too. They had no pictures of him from his days in Champaign where Lloyd Carr was on his staff? I also love how they go on to mention that Mike White replaced him and then list his "accomplishments," making no mention of his cheating, his getting the Illini sanctions and put on probation.

Some of those choices were questionable.

Bobby Williams at MSU over John L. Smith? I think not.

George O'Leary at Notre Dame? He never coached a game there. Gerry Faust has to win this easily. And only Notre Dame would be arrogant enough to hire him because he was a dominant HIGH SCHOOL coach.

John Cooper at Ohio State? Don't get me wrong. Every Michigan fan loved this guy. But his record outside of playing us was pretty good despite always letting his players run their big mouths.

RichRod...I refuse to relive those years with the exception of the wins against Notre Dame.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Faust is definitely the worst I've seen at ND. O'Leary would have won at ND, I have no doubt about that. He's a good coach, just embellished his résumé and then lied about it. He probably should have cleaned that up once he started having success.

Bobby Williams was in way over his head at MSU. They hired the guy that won a bowl when the good head coach left. Seen it happen at WVU when RR left. That never works for long. John L. Came in with a winning résumé, but led MSU into a joke.
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Bobby Williams did have that deer in a headlight look. However, I think a major part of his downfall was tied to his star quarterback, Jeff Smoker, being a drug addict and alcoholic. (God, I hated that tool.) When they had to suspend him for the season, it went to crap despite having the ever ethical Charles Rogers on offense. Hiring him wasn't very bright but he's still better than Smith. The way his teams lost and his actions (slapping himself at press conferences) has to put him at the top of the list.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 8:51 am

That 49-3 win was FUN!

Not my favorite win over MAC but right up there.

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 9:16 am

wshoes wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. 'shoes

Well worded, 'Shoes. Wish more people, for any number of reasons, relating to any number of subjects, could do the same...eh?

I'll grant you that RR has done better this year at Arizona than I expected he would (witness the win over USC, overrated though Troy's proving it was, and near-win at Stanford). And I may have sold him short on his record at WVU (though, competition-wise, the Big East isn't exactly the SEC, or the Big Ten of glory days).

But two of his losses this year (Oregon, UCLA) were by a ridiculous combined score of 115-10. That's precisely the path he was leading U-M down. Against top-notch (or even strong) opposition, his teams win only if they score every time they have the ball...because the opponent is all but sure to. Witness his final year with us:
giving up 34, 37, 48 and 52 points in four of the losses, two of those at the Big House. As Mike Martin said of
his (and our) year of redemption under Brady & Co., "We had been playing back-yard defense."
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:04 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
That 49-3 win was FUN!

Not my favorite win over MAC but right up there.

I liked it too.

This is funny!!! 01Bobby
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Well I'm at work right now but I'm testing out some new build scripts so I have some free time.

I too enjoyed clicking through every coach. A few that stuck out to me...

The George Oleary was record was funny 0-0.

I think in two years if the list is updated we'll see Gene Chizik (sp?) on their twice.

I noticed G Rob and Rich Rod were both on their individually. There probably should have been some mention of how Greg Robinson's defense was equally the cause of Michigan's terrible record the last two years of Rich's tenure and not put all of the blame on Rich Rod.
(I know, I know.... It's always all on the head coach)

#68 of 69.... John Coatta - "As rumor has it, the Wisconsin athletic department was faced with a decision during the offseason in 1967. They needed a new coach. The choice came down between Coatta, an alum of the university who set several Big Ten passing records as a quarterback and was currently on staff or a Miami-Ohio coach named Bo Schembechler. They chose the former."

Could you imagine a Bo-less Michigan? It's giving me a headache just trying to wrap my head around that one.

sandyeggo_blue

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 1:48 pm

By the way... GREAT link 66! Thanks for sharing that.

fishgoblue22

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Bo almost left for the Texas A&M in 1980. Wow, that would have been weird.

Back to top Go down
michmike

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

FISH--- here's a personal take based on a chapter of "BO" which he dedicated to that episode. I kinda think "almost" is gilding the lilly a bit; he really wasn't that close to leaving, from what I read.

When Gil Brandt, then the Dallas Cowboys' director of player/personnel, called him to advise him of the opening at A&M (obviously in Texas there are lots of buddy-buddy chains), he visited some guy named "Bum Bright", both names saying a mouthful, and practically at once was uneasy. "I saw this mansion-sized house [Bo wrote], and noticed six cars in the driveway."
"I thought you said it was just you and I talking," Bo told BB.
"Those are all my cars, Bo."
<"Oh.">

And then when Bo heard the eye-popping sum A&M was willing to sign him for, he asked where that money would come from, knowing the university didn't have that kind of funding. "Don't you worry about that," he was told, adding (in his book) "Which immediately did make me worry."

Knowing there was "something fishy going on," as he told his then-wife Millie, he declined the job.

So the gist is, FGB, I don't think he ever was all that interested in the job. The closest hint he dropped to it was the fact that then-AD Don Canham didn't rush to raise his salary as a "counter" or anything, and briefly, Bo felt somewhat unappreciated.
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 4:38 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
By the way... GREAT link 66! Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks Sandy, and you're welcome. Just could not resist!! Smile

Go Blue!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 4:46 pm

A snippet of the press conference when Bo said he would be staying:

2 minutes in...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

This is funny!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: This is funny!!!   This is funny!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

This is funny!!!
Page 1 of 1