Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Possibly OT, but college sports:

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
michmike

Possibly OT, but college sports: Empty
PostSubject: Possibly OT, but college sports:   Possibly OT, but college sports: EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 9:09 am

Tragic about Rick Majerus. Gone at 64, the victim of, not at all surprisingly, a long-standing heart condition.

Which leads me to ask: when in the name of civility, humanity and sanity is the University of Minnesota going to see the light and relieve Jerry Kill of his coaching duties? He just had another incident after their season finale a week back. I just don't understand...haven't his doctors come forward with feet firmly put down???

If coaching is his life and death (figuratively speaking), and it likely is, they don't have to make it permanent; rather, compel him to take time away, undergo a treatment period, leaving the door open for
a future return...much as BO did after three open-heart surgeries...a couple of years after the third of
which even he saw the light and called it a career.
Back to top Go down
TheBigHouse

PostSubject: Re: Possibly OT, but college sports:   Possibly OT, but college sports: EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:09 am

Minnesota is walking a fine line with Jerry Kill and his health. They knew of his seizures when they hired him, therefore, to fire him because of it would really be bad on their part and would bring every health organization down on them.

He has epilepsy and it looks like a rather severe type of it. He is going to have seizures whether he is coaching or not and is most likely on medicines. It sounds like there really isn't anything they can do for it. The seizures won't kill him, but what happens during them could cause injury. Like if he fell and hit his head, or choking on something that might be in his mouth, etc.

Like you said, this is pretty much up to Kill. He has to see when it starts to affect his team and coaching abilities and possibly call an end to it, himself.

As far as Rick Majerus, RIP. I always liked him and his coaching. I felt bad to hear of his passing.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Possibly OT, but college sports:   Possibly OT, but college sports: EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 6:04 pm

Kill's situation is similar (in circumstance only) to that of any other person with a disability. Some people may think of the actual condition as the end all/be all. No that isn't correct. Not being able to walk or (in Kill's case) having seizure's are both situations that need to be dealth with. If you can't walk you need a wheel-chair, seems simple enpough but it isn't. You need to be conscious os inclines, declines, stairs, exits, whether you can fit through door-way's, etc Having seizures seems simple enough, but it isn't. You need to have people surrounding you educated on how to treat a seizure, without limiting your activities you want to keep yourself out of potentially dangerous situations, you want to be conscious of things that can lead to seizures (i.e. excess stimuli), etc.

IMHO I think that Kill may be the best person to Coach at a school like Minnesota. He knows football and is very qualified, so even though Minnesota doesn't get a ton of stud recruits they land one occassionaly and/or you find a diamond in the rough (i.e. Decker). Kill can prepare them for a future in the NFL.

You must also remermber that college sports are actually a leaerning experience more than a recruiting "league" for the professional ranks. Most people don't go pro in sports (cue that commercial), they will go elsewhere. Every individual on Minnesota's team now knows how to react to a seizure. It's not really a big deal, certain things should be done when one occurs but they are not a huge deal to react to. I'm not sure about the members of this forum (it is a small sample size) but most of society does not know about seizures. Thus the fear, people fear what they do not know. Thus the apprehension for Kill continuing to coach at Minnesota.

A seizure is no different than any other disability in the aspect that it's a situation. Different precautions need to be made for different situations. No big deal, that in no way, shape, or form means that Kill should be treated any differently.

I was actually watching a Minnesota game this year (not sure who it was against, it may have been Michigan) where Kill had a seizure at half-time. No big deal but following a seizure down-time is required for recovery. The team didn't miss a beat, coach's shifted responsibilities and the team played on. No big deal, they prepared for this situation just as children do in elemenyary schools with fire drills. You make a dry run every once in a while, no big deal.

Kill is a great Coach, problem is this isn't the 1950's anymore and Minnesota sucks. No big deal, Kill will step down when he decides it is time. Hey, Minnesota is Bowl eligible again. They are improving, the students are happy, alumni are happy, he is not a danger to himself or others, and the players (and even the student body to some extent) have leaned a little more about people with disabilities. That's all that matters. Football is not the Cash Cow in Minnesota the same way it is for Michigan. Hockey is Minnesota's Cash Cow...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possibly OT, but college sports:   Possibly OT, but college sports: Empty

Back to top Go down

Possibly OT, but college sports:
Page 1 of 1