Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.

Go down 
+3
sandyeggo_blue
Admin
fishgoblue22
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. Empty
PostSubject: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Now, if it was just putting the ball on the 20 for the other team, it would suck. But the idea of an "offensive opportunity" from the 30. 99% of the time the team would punt, because the risk of losing the ball at your own 30 is pretty high. But it would make the end of close games exciting.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21290963/roger-goodell-open-to-eliminating-kickoffs-entirely
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm getting pretty damn sick of the pussification of my favorite thing on Earth.

Look, I understand that this concussion issue is a serious one.

I'm also one that is fully aware of the risk and reward relationship that comes with EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING in life (including your profession).

If you called me up and told me you'd pay me millions of dollars a year to strap on the pads and play football, while still warning me of the dangers invovled, I would jump all over the opportunity.

Every NFL player knows what's at stake when they sign a contract to play football professionally.

I'm not against finding ways to make the game safer, most specifically the R&D of better equipment.

But changing the game altogether? GTFO here, Roger.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:36 pm

A lot of guys would be looking for a job if they got rid of that part of the special teams.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:37 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
A lot of guys would be looking for a job if they got rid of that part of the special teams.

DING. DING. DING.

Now that's the winning comment right there.

A LOT of guys would be out of a job.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Admin wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

DING. DING. DING.

Now that's the winning comment right there.

A LOT of guys would be out of a job.

I wonder if that is something the player's union could fight for because it seems to me every other union in america, whether it's teachers or police fight hard to keep their members employed.

I'm really just thinking out loud.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm with you Admin, but I do think the 30 yard line thing is interesting. Maybe make that an option in the 4th quarter vice the onside kick.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:07 pm

However, I recall New Orleans Saints (I think) pulled an on-sides kick in the Super Bowl. It worked because it was a surprise.

It propelled them forward to win the Super Bowl.

That'll all be gone too.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
However, I recall New Orleans Saints (I think) pulled an on-sides kick in the Super Bowl. It worked because it was a surprise.

It propelled them forward to win the Super Bowl.

That'll all be gone too.

Well, yes and no. A team could line up like they are going to punt it away like normal and then run a play.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Ok, I did not read the article.

So they are talking about punting from the 30 instead of kicking off from the 35?

If that's not what it is then the option is already there to line up to punt but run a play. That's called a "fake punt".

If they do not kick off or punt after EVERY SINGLE SCORE it removes the possibility of someone taking advantage of it.

And the element of surprise is gone. Insteaad of giving the other team the ball at the 20 you announce "Hey! We're gonna run a play now. Try to stop us!"

Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:58 pm

As everyone knows, I am for making the game safer, but this idea doesn't seem to be doing it and it destroys part of the game. I like the way college has tried to work it, move the kickoff location up and touch-backs come out to the 25. That won't work forever, and it is not a solution just a way to off-set injury prone opportunities, but is does decrease the chances for serious injury.

I'm trying to think of an alternative that "might" pacify both sides but it is difficult. What would you say to instead of having a traditional kickoff you punt from the 35? The punt team would get more playng time, become a larger part of the team (granted, the kickoff only guys would be out of luck but they need to try harder), and it would still leave room for returns. Having a punt vs. a kickoff would, theoretically at least, cut down on injuries by reducing guys going full speed into each other. Have you ever considered how "blocking a punt-kickoff" would be seen? That's similar to a big return. This "offensive opportunity"" thing has me curious. Is that one try meaning 1 down or 1 set of 4 downs? That part may be more exciting and may open doors for the likes of Rich Clod to get to the NFL? Think about it, that would mean more football. I don't know, it's something to think about though, I'm not fond of the term "offensive opportunity" but whatever. When I think of an "offensive opportunity" that leads me to think of looking for women at the bar. I'm looking for an opportunity to get my offense on....

'fish, I liked your idea of at least starting it out in the 4th quarter that way it could be better transitioned to the entire game IF it works. If it doesn't scrap it and go back to the drawing board.

Joe- The article wasn't very clear on specifics but, to me at least, it sounds like this change would have more actual football being played. Still not 100% sold on the idea though.

I also think that we all need to remember when the NFL came around guys on the kickoff team werent the tremendous athletes they are now. People are bigger, stronger, faster than they were back in the 50's. That helps explain why the Detroit Lions haven't won a championship since then. They keep trying to play like it is 1954 in an effort to go to the Superbowlk but that doesn't work anymore. Thy need to get with the times.
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 6:39 pm

That is so stupid, next rule change will be putting Flags on QB's
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I think because of head trauma, and the dangers of concussions we are learning about, people are slowly realizing that no amount of money is worth the risk, and football is in serious trouble as we know it.

i know people are already pulling their kids out of football and guiding them to other sports.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.   OT:  Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs. Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Roger Goddell has thought about eliminating Kickoffs.
Page 1 of 1