Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.

Go down 
+7
the artist formally known
michmike
WillieMfan
Wolverdog
fishgoblue22
joe
BetterThansparty
11 posters
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. Empty
PostSubject: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/03/sports/ncaafootball/governor-announces-lawsuit-against-ncaa-over-penn-state-penalties.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130103&_r=0

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 12:01 am

I said a long time ago that I thought everyone acted way too hastily in this issue.

It was all because the public was DEMANDING something be done! It was a media feeding frenzy.

Due process was not followed.

When I said this I was labeled a child molester by the minions.

I thought they jumped to a lot of conclusions.

This is a very delicate subject.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am

It is an extremely delicate issue. There were a lot of knee-jerk reactions and those are never good. Look at the proprosed solutions to school shootings. I'll shut-up now.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 am

I think the NCAA over stepped their authority. This is not a football issue, it is a legal issue. I think the man responsible for these horrible acts is in prison. The men that either covered it or dismissed it are facing charges.

I don't think there was ever a competitive advantage for the football team. They have paid enough. IMHO.

On another note, Bill O'Brien is staying after talking to an NFL team. Supposedly the Browns. Oh, and he is getting a 1.6 million dollar pay raise.
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:13 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I think the NCAA over stepped their authority. This is not a football issue, it is a legal issue. I think the man responsible for these horrible acts is in prison. The men that either covered it or dismissed it are facing charges.

Or dead, in large part because of the scandal, IMO.

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I don't think there was ever a competitive advantage for the football team. They have paid enough. IMHO.

Agree 110%. Total travesty.

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 am

I hate the state of Pennsylvania for doing this and forcing us to rehash all of this again. The NCAA got it right. They sent a message to PSU AND everyone else that you are responsible for your house and what happens in your house.

The institution (from Pres-Coaching staff) tried to to look the other way. Had they reported it to authorities and not placed winning above dozens of innocent kids we would not be having this discussion. I am sure the NCAA would have preferred to not even deal with the shit storm that was brought on by this. How does it benefit the NCAA to lose what was one of the great programs from relevancy? This was a black eye for college athletics. I am quite sure the NCAA did not benefit from any aspect of this penalty/scandal.

People want to say that those involved in the scandal have been punished and that those still there had nothing to do with it. Do you also realize that those still at PSU have accepted the penalty and are moving on? The NCAA gave players free reign to leave the program with no penalty. Some did. They can still leave. Those that didn't; know their fate. O'brien certainly considered leaving. Hell he's cashing in on the situation. Recruits know what is going on coming in. If you are playing football at PSU you know the situation and you are accepting penalty. There's no reason to feel sorry for them.

Damn you Pennsylvania!
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 am

Agree wholeheartedly with your opinion on the recruits and current players, Willie. All the sob stories about punishing people having nothing to do with the horrific scandal hold some merit, but not that much. As you say, recruits know the score. And current players had a chance to leave.

And here's my haymaker: I honestly don't recall a whole lot of tears shed for our BB players and especially for us as fans after the NCAA lowered the house on us following the Ed Martin scandal. All one heard was the caustic outcries of people glad we got ours after their teams had been used by Webber, Rose, Howard and the others. The most we got while our hoops program was in the tank for a decade was a lot of "tough-shit!"s.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:36 am

Fucking brilliant point Mike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 1:18 pm

I for one hope they win some portion of this rule, maybe get it lowered to 2 years, just for the kids all the other aspects I can live with , but personnally I think the B1G needs PSU to be relavant. I believe they have to be punished as an intaty, but not as a student body. I would have much rather had a financial penalty, that went and paid for an awareness to this terrible crime and still have the student athelete 's be able to enjoy their playing time at the school.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:29 pm

This comes down to one thing: votes

The governor wants votes in the next election, and I'll be damned if he won't get more by initiating The State of Pennsylvania vs The NCAA.

If our judicial system spends more than 15 minutes of simply wiping its ass with this lawsuit, God help us all.

jjabilene

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm with Willie, Mike and Admin on this one. My opinion of PSU and the state of Pennsylvania in general has dropped a lot in the last two years. They got what they deserved but are refusing to take their medicine. I find it hard to feel sorry for their "innocent" fans when so many of them obviously could have cared less about the victims and only cared about their beloved coach despite the fact that he was a scumbag. And I really hate the argument that you can't punish the institution because the people responsible for the scandal are now gone. The rule-breakers would love for this argument to be valid, then they could just go move on whenever they got caught and nothing would happen because the institution would say, "you can't punish us because you'll be punishing the innocent" then they'd just hire a new person to break the rules. The only way to deter rule and law breakers is to come down hard on the ones who get caught.
Back to top Go down
psuatgvsu

psuatgvsu

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm

Fish you are dead wrong and I am not going to sit and rehash this over and over. JVP did good his whole life. IMO, it makes absolutely NO SENSE why he would KNOWINGLY cover this up. You don't tell someone to report an incident if you want to cover it up. Paterno made a mistake, a BIG one at that. But it was a honest mistake, not a devious one like you believe.

That is all. Believe what you want and I will believe what I will. I still like coming on here and respect your opinion but not this one.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptyFri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 pm

I actually agree with you to an extent psu. I think that the punishment should be cut in half.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 am

michmike wrote:
Agree wholeheartedly with your opinion on the recruits and current players, Willie. All the sob stories about punishing people having nothing to do with the horrific scandal hold some merit, but not that much. As you say, recruits know the score. And current players had a chance to leave.

And here's my haymaker: I honestly don't recall a whole lot of tears shed for our BB players and especially for us as fans after the NCAA lowered the house on us following the Ed Martin scandal. All one heard was the caustic outcries of people glad we got ours after their teams had been used by Webber, Rose, Howard and the others. The most we got while our hoops program was in the tank for a decade was a lot of "tough-shit!"s.

I totally disagree with this. While what you say about the Fab 5 scandal is true, it happened during a time when EVERYONE thought something had to be done about college hoops. Also, Webber lied and everyone know it. Also true is the fact that the Fab 5 worked a lot of teams like they were a rented three-legged mule. A bunch of people were glad of the penalties because their team got their asses handed to them on the court. In other words, they were motivated by hate and jealousy, which the NCAA (and UM fans) should be WAY above. Still has NO PARALLEL with Sandusky.

What happened at PSU had nothing to do with any players, whether at that time time or current. NOTHING.

It didn't give PSU any advantage on the field. NONE.

The NCAA has absolutely overstepped their bounds

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 12:51 am

Wolverdog wrote:

I totally disagree with this. While what you say about the Fab 5 scandal is true, it happened during a time when EVERYONE thought something had to be done about college hoops. Also, Webber lied and everyone know it. Also true is the fact that the Fab 5 worked a lot of teams like they were a rented three-legged mule. A bunch of people were glad of the penalties because their team got their asses handed to them on the court. In other words, they were motivated by hate and jealousy, which the NCAA (and UM fans) should be WAY above. Still has NO PARALLEL with Sandusky.

What happened at PSU had nothing to do with any players, whether at that time time or current. NOTHING.

The NCAA has absolutely overstepped their bounds

Your first paragraph is so all over the place it is hard to even grasp it. "I disagree...What you say about Fab 5 is True...Then you throw in that Michigan was beating up on everyone so it fueled jealousy. So that makes it right that other were celebrating our demise? Really????

"The NCAA has absolutely overstepped their bounds" Really? What are you basing this off of? Your opinion? PSU signed off on it. I have NEVER heard Bill O'brien take issue with the penalties. Unless the court rules otherwise you have nothing to base this off of.

Riddle me this-What advantage did OSU get on the field when their players sold tattoos and memorabilia? The NCAA is not just enforcing rules that ensure a even playing ground. Do you know what the three principles of the NCAA Rules Enforcement program? That is rhetorical because it is clear you do not. Integrity. Fair play. Accountability. Can you see anything that would possibly make the PSU scandal an NCAA issue? Can't wait to hear how you think the PSU incident was handled with any integrity or that those involved took any accountability over what was going on.

Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:31 am

LOL, I agree on the first paragraph, but have a few drinks and it makes perfect sense.

So what you are saying is that PSU deserves whatever they get because non-UM fans celebrated our demise 20 years ago? Your feelings were hurt then, so it's OK that PSU gets screwed now? RIDICULOUS.

Yes, the NCAA overstepped their bounds. What does that tragedy have to do with college athletics, other than it happened in a locker room? NOTHING.

O$U got an advantage on the field because recruits knew coming in that they could sell memorabilia or trade it for pot, get cheap cars, get high paying jobs for doing nothing, get cash outright, and take elementary school level classes. The tattoo scandal was just a symptom, not the whole disease.

As to your last rant, THOSE INVOLVED HAVE BEEN HELD ACCOUNTABLE. ONE IS DEAD. The current punishment is being laid on those that had NOTHING to do with it. This went on with the Ed Martin thing too, but that doesn't make it right. To repeat:

The National Collegiate ATHLETIC Association has absolutely overstepped their bounds.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 am

psuatgvsu wrote:
Fish you are dead wrong and I am not going to sit and rehash this over and over. JVP did good his whole life. IMO, it makes absolutely NO SENSE why he would KNOWINGLY cover this up. You don't tell someone to report an incident if you want to cover it up. Paterno made a mistake, a BIG one at that. But it was a honest mistake, not a devious one like you believe.

That is all. Believe what you want and I will believe what I will. I still like coming on here and respect your opinion but not this one.

Where did I say he covered it up? I love Paterno. I think the NCAA was out of bounds on what they did. Easy little fella, you need to relax a bit.
Back to top Go down
psuatgvsu

psuatgvsu

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 am

Bill O'Brien isnt going to say anything bad about the sanctions because of the way the idiot Emmert acts. I have seen on other paysites that there are higher ups in the NCAA that now believe they acted to harshly and that the sanctions will be reduced aslong as PSU compies right now.

Not saying this is true but take it for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 10:49 am

Sorry Wolver we will just have to agree to disagree. The NCAA is god whether any of us likes it or not. They are a private entitity that makes the rules and governs athletics. If you started Wolverdog College Athletic Association (WCAA for short of course) you would also be free to run your association as you please.

Let me know if you make a go at that WCAA thing. I would love to see it happen.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:03 pm

My 3ยข:

The NCAA over-stepped. PSU did not commit one infraction according to the NCAA rule book, other than one vague rule that described protecting the welfare of people on campus. The state of PA knows it, and the NCAA will likely lift most, if not all of the sanctions.

PSU has a strong case because of past programs who received no sanctions for major crimes starting with Baylor. There was a murder, followed up by a cover up from players and coaches. The NCAA gave Baylor zilch.

There have been programs which have had to deal with murder (Virginia lacrosse player) and rapes (Duke, ND, Colorado, Montana, there must be dozens of others,) and the NCAA, like with Baylor, gave them no sanctions.

The reason is, the NCAA infractions rulebook has no specifics for crimes, and they hammered PSU to repair its own incompetent image of not having a policy in its own rulebook.

The other motive for hammering PSU is that 70% of the NCAA are bound by TV contracts with ESPN, which sees Jim Delaney and the Big Ten Network as a competitive threat. So every opportunity the NCAA has to take down the Big Ten a notch or two, it will do so. It has become so obvious in the way that ESPN neglects to investigate and cover any SEC program. I believe this is partially what stretch gate was about, and also, what tattoo gate with Ohio was about. Even if they deserved it, had the Big Ten Network not existed, all three Big Ten programs would have been safe.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:54 pm

mgoblue93 wrote:

The NCAA over-stepped. PSU did not commit one infraction according to the NCAA rule book, other than one vague rule that described protecting the welfare of people on campus. The state of PA knows it, and the NCAA will likely lift most, if not all of the sanctions.

Can we all agree to let the court be the final word on this? IF the NCAA truly did something it does have the authority to do, the courts will rule as such.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:

Can we all agree to let the court be the final word on this? IF the NCAA truly did something it does have the authority to do, the courts will rule as such.

From what I read, (i will try to find the link,) it's going to happen. The NCAA totally overstepped and it probably won't even go to court. I expect the NCAA will lift the sanctions before that happens. From what I read, the NCAA has no case.
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:11 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
Sorry Wolver we will just have to agree to disagree. The NCAA is god whether any of us likes it or not. They are a private entitity that makes the rules and governs athletics. If you started Wolverdog College Athletic Association (WCAA for short of course) you would also be free to run your association as you please.

Let me know if you make a go at that WCAA thing. I would love to see it happen.

It's all good Willie. Cool

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 pm

mgoblue93 wrote:
WillieMfan wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:

From what I read, (i will try to find the link,) it's going to happen. The NCAA totally overstepped and it probably won't even go to court. I expect the NCAA will lift the sanctions before that happens. From what I read, the NCAA has no case.

Any chance you have a link????
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 7:12 pm

hey willie im still looking for it... i wanna say it was a yahoo story but i cant find it..heres the official complaint:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/550546-corbett.html

ill find it though
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. EmptySat Jan 05, 2013 7:50 pm

Thank you for looking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.   Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA. Empty

Back to top Go down

Pennsylvania governor sues NCAA.
Page 1 of 1