Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Junior Seau's family sues NFL...

Go down 
+3
dwoody
Admin
BetterThansparty
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Junior Seau's family sues NFL... Empty
PostSubject: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 5:37 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/junior-seau-family-sues-league-over-brain-injuries-012313

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 6:54 pm

That's bullshit.

I've had this discussion here before, perhaps with you, 2nd, but this is nonsense.

Yeah, football causes concussions. Yeah, football causes serious injuries.

But as a fan in the stands, I don't feel bad for you when you're making millions. You know what you're signing up for.

Hell, the guy signed a four-year deal in 1994 for $14MM. (http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19940209&slug=1894298)

God knows what his other contracts with the Chargers were post that 4-year deal.

Call me harsh, unsympathetic, whatever you want.

But I know about 200 guys on this forum who would glady take on the risk of serious brain injury to make millions of dollars of year.

And if you're too stupid to understand that risk before you sign the papers, lace the cleats and strap on the helmet and pads....fuck off.

The justice system will be setting an absolutely horrible precedent if they award any type of damages to the Seau family. Just opening the door to thousands of other bloodsucking families to profit from the injuries/deaths of family members who already made millions in their lifetimes.

That's all.

It sounds mean, but it's the truth.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:33 pm

I disagree.

First of all, I HIGHLY doubt that this case goes to trial. It will be setytled in a number of months for an amount that I'm not sure of.

Next, think back to the 50's and 60's. Coaches ALWAYS told players that they just had "stingers" or "got their bell rung". They followed that up with "Man up and get back in there. You're fine." Only recently have they started to do things: the Personal Foul penalties for hits on a defenseless receiver, babying the QB, helmet-to-helmet contact, and college football's kick-off adjustment. That isn't ebough but it's a start, and also an addmission of guilt.

I'm a football fan also but human life is more vital than a game, even if you are paid millions of dollars. More precautions should have been taken earlier and that makes the NFL liable.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

This case should NOT be settled. Ever hear of assumption of the risk? The danger of cumulative repeated blows to the head has been known for years. Looking back at the state of knowledge forty or fifty years ago is not relevant. The new penalties, subsequent remedial measures, are also not admissible as evidence of negligence.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Read my comment again. The culture was always "rub some dirt on it and get back in there". The NFL was and is selling a product. Admitedly a lot of people love it (I'll admit that includes me) but they have a responsibilty to look after their employees (players) and a social obligation to inform their fans of the same dangers. The NFL ignored their responsibility.

That being saoid they will offer Seau's family money to "go away", of course more people will come out of the woodwork. The NFL really screwed the pooch on this one.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 am

The 50's and 60's really? Coaches didn't know, players didn't know, doctors didn't know. Anyone from that era has nothing to bitch about. Anyone after that era has nothing to bitch about because they knew there was some risks. I know they didn't know the extent, but they knew there are risks.

It's not on the NFL to tell the player "hey, you could get concussions". It is on the player to learn all he can about his chosen profession. People need to take responsibity for their own decisions. This is part of why this country is going down hill. It is a giant nanny state. People wanting to blame everyone else. Look in the mirror former players. Ask yourself "did I try to learn as much as I could about my potential health issues". I will say the answer to that is 100% no.

They need to STFU and go away.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 8:07 am

I think one of the problems is, a lot of these players are not responsible with their money, and show up on the NFL's doorstep broke, and with brain issues. That makes them look like victims in some people's eyes.

I agree with Admin that they knew what they were getting into, even before head injuries were becoming a current problem. How can you be a football player and NOT accept or even expect to have some sort of long term injuries.

Firemen know their risks. A fireman gets burned, and then sues the owner of the house he saved 10 years ago? No...

And I have seen co-workers in the past have long term metal damage, or even kill themselves from work related stress. Heart attacks, strokes... Every job has some sort of health risk...

How can you willing take on a profession where you job is to "bump your head" every day, and then sue them for it...
Back to top Go down
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 pm

I agree with Admin. This is a BULLSHIT lawsuit. These players know/knew what they signed up for. I'm not gonna get deep into argument on this, but just wanted to voice my opinion that this is a BULLSHIT lawsuit. Junior Seau's own family is ruining his legacy with this lawsuit. He shot himself. He is dead. Did the NFL pull the trigger? NO.

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm agreeing on this.

Wasn't there a thread about this a long time ago that was Kaboshed by the mod?

joe

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 pm

My bad. That was a different topic.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm

But why did Seau shoot himself? Simple answer, CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy). If the NFL didn't capitalize off of the players playing such a violent sport maybe. Another thing, neurological injurues can not be seen until it is too late. Months ago on another thread I brought-up each person's "Personal Fable". The thought that, "It won't happen to me" and what's really funny is that no one knows what "it" is. Neurologic injuries differ, but the similarity that they all hold is that they cannot be defeaten (for the most part).

And 'fish, the 50's and 60's is relevant because the NFL paid these players to do something. They are responsible for any affects stemming from their activities while on the field.

joe, you made me think about your comment. Wasn't that thread about politics? And yes I'm glad that Admin ended that thread. No good was going to come from it.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm

No. I looked. That had Derek from Ohio in it and got a little out of hand.

But this topic will have no end.

People just need to agree to disagree.

Doesn't matter if it's posted 5 times or 500 times people won't change their minds.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 pm

True, but this isn't exactly the same thing. The same subject yes but I was just informing people about the law-suit. Then Admin came in with his deal about how it is wrong and people know the risks but they're getting paid millions of dollars. Not everyone makes millions of dollars and you're putting the price of a numan life at a million dollars? I never said anyone was wrong in theier opinion, just that I disagreed.

Oh yea, Derek... scratch

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:09 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
But why did Seau shoot himself? Simple answer, CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy)

Simple? No.

Seau had NUMEROUS personal issues that ultimately led to his suicide. Blaming it on his CTE or whatever term the medical examiner came up with is just a cop out.

Can we just assume that all NFL players who take their life, WILLINGLY, did it because of the hits they took while playing football?

Seau pulled the trigger. The NFL did not. Seau could have reached out for help. He did not. He chose to be selfish. The NFL did not kill him. Seau committed suicide.
Back to top Go down
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 pm

And everyone, please note, I am not meaning to offend anyone. Just having friendly banter with this topic.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 pm

It's completely obvious that you do not understand neurology ("whatever term the medical examiner came up with is just a cop out."). No, it's not a cop-out. What you, and many people for that matter, fail to understand is that Seau was not in his right-mind. A head injury isn't like a bruise, a broken bone, a strained-ligament, etc. It's bad, really bad. They are almost impossible to over-come and even very difficult to cope with.

Just like you, I also do not intend to offend anyone.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Junior Seau's family sues NFL...   Junior Seau's family sues NFL... Empty

Back to top Go down

Junior Seau's family sues NFL...
Page 1 of 1