Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ryan may be back before the end of the season.

Go down 
+2
michmike
fishgoblue22
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Ryan may be back before the end of the season. Empty
PostSubject: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 8:45 am

Hmm, I think that is being a little too optomistic, but I'm not a Dr.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/03/michigan_lb_jake_ryan_undergoe.html
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 am

I would caption the picture at that link ("Jake Ryan overcoming blocks vs. MSU") something more like "Jake Ryan fighting through L.Bell's hold". Forearm inside Jake's, on Jake's chest.

Hate to say it, but I agree; his return in 2013, fantastic as it would be, might be a bit too idealistic to hope for. All I want is for the young man to heal up completely, and not play a down until he's 100%...not 90, not 95---100. We've got solid youngsters behind him who can step up, and learn from him while he's recup'ing/rehab'ing.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 12:34 pm

I do not want him to come back for a few games late in the season and waste a red-shirt. Why push things? Let him fully and slowly recover, and he can be HUGE for team 135.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:55 pm

dwoody wrote:
I do not want him to come back for a few games late in the season and waste a red-shirt. Why push things? Let him fully and slowly recover, and he can be HUGE for team 135.

That was my original thought too dwoody, however IMHO Ryan might have (and still may) gone pro after his this year. I think that much is known, why else would Coach Hoke say that he is trying to get Ryan back by the end of the year? There is never any mention about "next year" with Ryan. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he will leave early, I don't know. It's something to ponder though. At this point I'm thinking that IF Ryan comes back for a few games this year it's no big deal eligability wise. 2014 will be his last year even if he burns a year for a game or two regardless, he'll declare for the NFL after that season anyway (if he doesn't after '13).

What are thoughts on this? I seriously don't know, I'm just talking out-loud.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
dwoody wrote:

That was my original thought too dwoody, however IMHO Ryan might have (and still may) gone pro after his this year. I think that much is known, why else would Coach Hoke say that he is trying to get Ryan back by the end of the year? There is never any mention about "next year" with Ryan. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he will leave early, I don't know. It's something to ponder though. At this point I'm thinking that IF Ryan comes back for a few games this year it's no big deal eligability wise. 2014 will be his last year even if he burns a year for a game or two regardless, he'll declare for the NFL after that season anyway (if he doesn't after '13).

What are thoughts on this? I seriously don't know, I'm just talking out-loud.

Not sure about Jake going pro after this year. My initial thought is no way, especially with the potential of zero to very limited playing time. I don't usually hear anyone around the program talking two years in advance so I couldn't say either way though.

I do have a question though about red-shirting. what is the cutoff for obtaining a redshirt. What if Jake only comes back for the bowl game, can he still get a redshirt?

What if he comes back for O$U, then the B1G championship game and the bowl game? Does that greatly reduce his changes of getting a redshirt?

Basically I'm trying to ask, how much playing time can he have in the year and still get his redshirt?

I know that every situation is different and that the B1G medical committee looks at each medical redshirt application separately but do you know if there is a general guideline that lays out playing time and the percentage of chance that a player will get a redshirt. Clearly a kid plays eight games in a season and gets hurt he's not going to get a redshirt. But what about two games? three?

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 6:40 pm

I "think" but do not know if you play in 1/4 of the teams games that you are no longer eligible for the RS. DO NOT quote me on that. It doesn't matter if you are on one PAT, it counts the same as if you are playing every single play. I'm not entirely positive that the Bowl game counts either, and with that said the Conference championhip but if it does if Jake comes back for ohio, a potential B1G 'ship game, and a probable bowl game I think that he still qualifies for a medical RS.

But remember, we won't find out for a while just like in DG's case. Remember, DG also played in a couple games (a play here and there each game) but still got his RS. The difference is that DG got hurt during the season and Ryan got hurt before the season and he may be able to play at the very end.

Personally I don't think if he plays against ohio on, he'd lose the RS. Of course the first thing is he needs to get better and be able to come back.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:18 pm

I believe the games played before a certain point in the season is the determining factor, so a late comeback would burn the season...One of the youngsters can check it out and inform.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:59 am

This is not exact but it is very close. I am doing it from memory.

First off, there is actually no such thing a "Medical Redshirt". There is a Redshirt and there is a Medical HARDSHIP.

A redshirt does not need to be applied for. A redshirt is burned the moment you play 1 play.

A Medical Hardship is different. It must be applied for. Here's where I'm just a little fuzzy but you are allowed to play. It HAS to be in the first 1/4 of the season and then you have to prove the guy couldn't come back.

So Ryan could NOT come back and play against Ohio or in a Bowl game.

Now my fuzziness is whether it's the first 1/4 of the season of the first 1/3 of the season. And that point is not a cut and dried point I don't think. I really think it has to do with the % of snaps you played. So, the cut off time is variable depending on how many offensive plays you run.

So,, at the end of the season they look at the offensive output and say "Michigan ran 1200 plays this year. Player X played in 240 of them and they were all in the first 1/4 of the season."

I think that's one reason they can't grant a "Medical Hardship" until after a season is over and done.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:09 pm

This may, or may not clear things up a little. We were both wrong joe.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1587386-michigan-football-can-jake-ryan-apply-for-a-medical-redshirt?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=michigan-wolverines-football

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:18 pm

But that is not all the rules.

Only a couple of them.

Here's a little more.

I read the rule book a little and I have never seen, in the actual rules, anything about your first redshirt being injury driven.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-2-medical-hardships.pdf

joe

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 8:26 pm

http://www.collegeathletictrainer.org/newsletter/article.php?article=2

Here is another.

I still don't see anything about the original redshirt being injury related.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 pm

So B/R is faulty? Ok, we already knew that didn't we?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ryan may be back before the end of the season.   Ryan may be back before the end of the season. Empty

Back to top Go down

Ryan may be back before the end of the season.
Page 1 of 1