Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pay for play

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Pay for play   Pay for play EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 am

I get it, but how do you do it? Does a school like Michigan pay the same as a school like Ball State? Does a walk on make the same as a scholarship player? What about recruiting stars? If a guy is a 5 star coming in does he get more than a 3 star? Are seniors that don’t play paid more than a freshmen that starts?

I don’t like it. They are compensated with school, tutors; which the average student has to pay for, free meals at the training tables, free medical.

The only problem I have is with the video game makers. They shouldn’t be allowed to use players images and numbers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/jason-whitlock-paying-college-athletes-can-work-if-you-follow-these-steps-041013

Back to top Go down
romeo49

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Slippery slope, don't do it! Increase stipend for sundries to non-bling levels!   Pay for play EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:52 am

As you stated any other student (which they all agreed to be) would be more than happy to be provided room, board, tuition, sundry money, a venue that is tv worthy and attendant games mationally broadcast, an enormous vocal fanbase in support, marketing, coaching and skill training, nutritionists, health trainers, a league that took years to vet to promote that students chosen after school job skills and alumni backing and assistance post-college.

In return the school gets revenue deals by its stewardship within the leagues association by rising through years of managed improvements to a compensated pinnacle (B10) allowing it to selfishly (sarcastic) compensate the best coaching staffs to grow the venture and provide schollies to many other athletic programs and their students who otherwise would not exist or be able to attend the Universities. Is the resulting alumni pride also not also a result of this process?

I suggest the O'Bannon's and their ilk create their own league or schools in the free market or counsel HS seniors to skip college as is their adult right and see what employer will pay them the money they seek in hindsight. The world is full of Lebrons/Kobe's, right? The focus on them and not the league is just going gangbusters these days, right?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for play   Pay for play EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Amateur athletics should be amateur athletics.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for play   Pay for play EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:24 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Amateur athletics should be amateur athletics.

you're right, they SHOULD be. But the status quo is quickly becoming obsolete. something has to give and it probably will sooner rather than later.

BetterThansparty

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for play   Pay for play EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 pm

So basically the best talent will go to the highest bidder. Great, another version of the NY Yankees...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for play   Pay for play EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 6:01 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
So basically the best talent will go to the highest bidder. Great, another version of the NY Yankees...

No I don't think there will be a "highest bidder" scenario. If anything, I could see a stipend that is equal across the board no matter what school you choose.

joe

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for play   Pay for play EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm against it.

Period.

Heard all the arguments.

BetterThansparty

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for play   Pay for play EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

joe and I agree on something! Will wonders never cease, first 'fish and now joe?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pay for play Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pay for play   Pay for play Empty

Back to top Go down

Pay for play
Page 1 of 1