Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Boston Marathon bombings

Go down 
+2
fishgoblue22
EJinGA
6 posters
AuthorMessage
EJinGA

OT: Boston Marathon bombings Empty
PostSubject: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 7:34 am

Thoughts on who may be responsible? What this means going forward?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 am

My guess it is a home grown terrorist. This just doesn't feel like a muslim extremist to me. Too sloppy.

As for going forward, when are people going to start observing their surroundings? Call me paranoid, but I always look around, note anything suspisious, and keep my eye on the out of ordinary. Maybe that's 20 years in the military, and being in Afghanistan dealing with people that liked you one day and tried to kill you the next. I trust no one outside my inner circle. Never have.

You have to be responsible for yours and your family's safety. JMHO.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 am

For what it's worth: http://debka.com/article/22901/FBI-Boston-Marathon-probe-points-to-Mid-East-terrorists-with-domestic-support

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks EJ, I hadn't seen that. Be vigilant.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
My guess it is a home grown terrorist. This just doesn't feel like a muslim extremist to me. Too sloppy.

As for going forward, when are people going to start observing their surroundings? Call me paranoid, but I always look around, note anything suspisious, and keep my eye on the out of ordinary. Maybe that's 20 years in the military, and being in Afghanistan dealing with people that liked you one day and tried to kill you the next. I trust no one outside my inner circle. Never have.

The bombs blew up in garbage cans. How was anyone supposed to be aware of that? I like most of your posts fish, but this one seems unreasonable.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 am

mgoblue93 wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

The bombs blew up in garbage cans. How was anyone supposed to be aware of that? I like most of your posts fish, but this one seems unreasonable.

How is it unreasonable? I trust no one. I will continue to trust no one. Just my nature. If I think someone looks out of place, I watch them. Is that profiling? Yep. Do I care about politcal correctness? Nope.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 am

Tragic when anyone dies but kids? So first off prayers to the families of loved ones injured.

Still I have to reserve judgement at this point until I know all of the facts and the most important thing is to not make assumptions, jump to conclusions and start to place blame where it is undue. Then, after the dust has settled and we know a little more of the facts we can make calculated, just measures moving forward.

I don't know how far I'm stepping over the line here but if I'm being honest, one thing that has worried me since sects of the extremist Muslim world declared war on the west and started to plan and carry out attacks on the west has been our sporting events, particularly Michigan football games. If we're being honest and looking at facts, Dearborn is home to the largest Arab-American population in the US. Without stereotyping, I think it's safe to say most Muslim extremists are of Arab decent. I think if you weigh in a few other factors you could reasonably draw a conclusion that a plot or attack could be hatched and harbored easily in the Detroit area. That said, where else are you going to find 110,000+ people scheduled to be in one location at a one time.

JMO. If you feel this post shouldn't be on the board, I'm more that OK with it being taken off the board because I know how sensitive it can potentially be.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 pm

When kids are victims it hurts worse, and creates even more anger and desperation to find those responsible...

I do hope this sheds light on how the government is spending our money. A sequester hits and they're cutting all the wrong things. They're sending billions to Palestine and Pakistan, and not keeping our country secure enough.

I'm now ashamed to say that I halfway predicted a terrorist attack would happen on our soil after we learned what was being cut. If this does turn out to be a middle eastern attack, people need to start demanding that we stop supporting those countries, and start protecting ours.
Back to top Go down
booboo

booboo

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 pm

1st of all, my thought and prayers go the injuried and their families.

Have one theory, last mile of race was dedicated to the victims of Newton shootings. Is there a sick mother fucker who enjoyed kids being killed, who agreed with the killer, or who is against any new gun laws? This was there way of getting attention. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Sandyeggo blue and all forum posters, I have thought many times that a stadium, especially the big house, could be a potential site for a terrorist act. I was at the M-CMU FB games, I believe it was 2006, thunderstorm came thru, everybody was asked to leave stadium. Had friend's tickets, sec. 24, row 17. I didn't move for 10-15 mins to many people trying to get out all at once. The point, God forbid, but in an actual attack it would be a cluster fuck. In row 17, I would try to get to the field. Can't imagine the horror of what would happen.

The question, be more observant. OK, unless you see someone drop a briefcase in a garbage can or take off book bag and leave it on ground, almost impossible to see what is going on.

I'm a Medical 1st Responder, part of job is observe the injured person & be observant of surroundings. I'm the one person when in a movie theater, restaurant or mall, who gives a quick look to see where exits are.

Security at the big house. I don't know if cameras are watching people as they enter stadium. A lot of policemen at entrance, are they trained to look for something or someone who is different? I know I can sneak bottled waters or a pepsi can into stadium without anyone searching me. At Ford Field they pat you down, you open your coat so they can look to see if you have anything.

Next august will there be 109,000 plus people, including me, in M stadium for 1st game of yr? Of course, will people thinking of possible terror or thinking about the game? My guess the game. If they want to start patting down everyone that enters stadium, if that's what it takes, do it.
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 12:56 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
mgoblue93 wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

How is it unreasonable? I trust no one. I will continue to trust no one. Just my nature. If I think someone looks out of place, I watch them. Is that profiling? Yep. Do I care about politcal correctness? Nope.

My point is you wouldn't have been able to spot anything out of place, unless you actually saw the scum that dropped the bombs into the garbage cans. These victims were totally defenseless and there was nothing they could have done to prevent that.

Of course now, the new debate will be more and more about security, and that we American Citizens should give up more and more of our liberties in the name of security.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:09 pm

You shouldn't have to give up more of your liberties, just pay attention. If you see something out of the ordinary, report it.

Maybe the president and his cronies will try to ban bombs now. If they make bombs illegal, no one will be able to have them. That's the theory behind gun control.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 1:59 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Maybe the president and his cronies will try to ban bombs now. If they make bombs illegal, no one will be able to have them. That's the theory behind gun control.

Don't make his political 'fish...

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 2:13 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

Don't make his political 'fish...

My point is, evil will do evil. You don't make ridiculous laws that will not stop evil. Bombs, guns, knives, cars. Where does it end? If a bad person wants to do a bad thing, it will be done. You can't legislate it. Giving up our liberties plays into the hands of evil people.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 2:20 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
I don't know how far I'm stepping over the line here but if I'm being honest, one thing that has worried me since sects of the extremist Muslim world declared war on the west and started to plan and carry out attacks on the west has been our sporting events, particularly Michigan football games. If we're being honest and looking at facts, Dearborn is home to the largest Arab-American population in the US. Without stereotyping, I think it's safe to say most Muslim extremists are of Arab decent. I think if you weigh in a few other factors you could reasonably draw a conclusion that a plot or attack could be hatched and harbored easily in the Detroit area. That said, where else are you going to find 110,000+ people scheduled to be in one location at a one time.

Ah the Dearborn thing. Time for me to put on my Sociologist hat. The University of Michigan has quite possibly the most diverse student-body, and therefore Alumni pools in the world. There would most certainly be many Muslim-Americans at the game. Jihad is one thing as long as the person knows about their imment deeath, but not knowing about it makes the likelihood of an attack on Michigan Stadium smaller. THAT DOES NOT MEAN WE SHOULDN'T BE CAREFUL THOUGH. No bages/large purses are allowed in the Stadium. Someone else mentioned how easy it was to smugle in Pepsi. Truth be told the workers at the gate know when you are bringing in a pop/water/pint, but that's when they do a bit of profiling on their own. They know that $8 for a pop is absurd, people are going to drink, etc. Have fun, but be responsible in their minds. If you "look" responsible and not as like you are an iffy-dude they'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However if you appear shady, overtly nervous, beligerent, etc. they will search you.

Now granted, many of the workers are volunteers but they are still trained and those people who volunteer for UM take their positions very seriously. But as 'fish stated, be aware of your surroundings. Don't count on someone else to say something. This is the tricky part, don't let your bias' play a part in your thinking buut also do not over-compensate for your beliefs. Above all relax, be observant, and Go Blue!
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 2:23 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Now granted, many of the workers are volunteers but they are still trained and those people who volunteer for UM take their positions very seriously. But as 'fish stated, be aware of your surroundings. Don't count on someone else to say something. This is the tricky part, don't let your bias' play a part in your thinking buut also do not over-compensate for your beliefs. Above all relax, be observant, and Go Blue!

Agree 100%
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 2:30 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Ah the Dearborn thing. Time for me to put on my Sociologist hat. The University of Michigan has quite possibly the most diverse student-body, and therefore Alumni pools in the world. There would most certainly be many Muslim-Americans at the game. Jihad is one thing as long as the person knows about their imment deeath, but not knowing about it makes the likelihood of an attack on Michigan Stadium smaller. THAT DOES NOT MEAN WE SHOULDN'T BE CAREFUL THOUGH. No bages/large purses are allowed in the Stadium. Someone else mentioned how easy it was to smugle in Pepsi. Truth be told the workers at the gate know when you are bringing in a pop/water/pint, but that's when they do a bit of profiling on their own. They know that $8 for a pop is absurd, people are going to drink, etc. Have fun, but be responsible in their minds. If you "look" responsible and not as like you are an iffy-dude they'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However if you appear shady, overtly nervous, beligerent, etc. they will search you.

yep. And again, I'm not trying to stir up the hornets nest by citing Dearborn as an example, rather I was merely bringing to light a fact.

The diversity on campus is a factor as well and a good point but no sense in alienating anyone over something they have no ties to.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 3:07 pm

I just received an email from one of my friends who was in the Boston Marathon. She described the experience as very confusing:

"I was just about to run under Massachusetts Avenue when the explosions went off. The scene on the course was very confusing - I think many people, especially runners, hadn't heard yet what was going on - people were crying, runners were stopped, spectators on the sidelines were handing us clothes to keep warm and offering the use of their cellphones so that we could locate our families. Thankfully my supportive coworkers were on the sidelines at that very point and I was able to send Adam a text message to tell him that I was okay. I was also able to find Liver teammates and we all decided to leave the course and walk to the Westin in Copley Square – this is where our team gathers before and after the marathon."

She also pointed out how awesome people in Boston are. I guess the show "Cheers" wasn't too far off from real life:

"We are all saddened and shocked by the events that took place yesterday, the loss of life, and the serious injuries. Bostonians are already pulling together to help those affected. Many runners went straight from the finish line to the hospitals to donate blood. Boston.com asked people to post if they had rooms available to host runners from out of town or who couldn't get home, and within hours there were several hundred listings. Boston will bounce back, and so will the historic Boston Marathon. In the meantime, let's pray that the people injured yesterday will make a fast and full recovery."

Not everyone that I knew there has connected with me yet but of those that I knew were there, all are fine (thankfully).
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 pm

She just posted a video on her fb account of when she got to work this morning. Here is her brief description:

"I am so overwhelmed by the kindness of others. Since I was unable to cross the official finish line yesterday, my colleagues at work surprised me with a Boston Marathon finish of my own, complete with a bib, finish line and tape for me to run through. I am so thankful for the wonderful people in my life."

That was very cool. One of the things that I personally thought about, other than the injuries/loss of life/trauma/etc., was that what about those people who ran 25 miles and didn't get a chance to finish? I mean sure that's a very small sacrifice compared to those who were at the finish line at the time of the explosions but that would still be very dissappointing after all of the hard work, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Boston Marathon bombings   OT: Boston Marathon bombings Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Boston Marathon bombings
Page 1 of 1