Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Team recruiting rankings.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Team recruiting rankings. Empty
PostSubject: Team recruiting rankings.   Team recruiting rankings. EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Michigan is up to #3 after Peppers decision...

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2014

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Team recruiting rankings.   Team recruiting rankings. EmptyMon May 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Peppers was huge for us. Getting Hand will put us over the top.

Rivals has Michigan up 4 spots to #4
ESPN has Michigan up 0 spots to #1
247 has Michigan up 4 spots to #1
Scout has Michigan up 4 spots to #3

I think we'll see McDowell, Westphall and Williams commit within the next two months so that should keep us pretty high on all of the lists.

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Team recruiting rankings.   Team recruiting rankings. EmptyMon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Do you feel team recruiting rankings matter? At all?

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Team recruiting rankings.   Team recruiting rankings. EmptyMon May 27, 2013 9:00 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
Do you feel team recruiting rankings matter? At all?

Well IMO I feel like both individual and team rankings matter. That said, I'll admit they both aren't perfect.

A few weeks ago we got into a pretty heated discussion about the star ratings. In the end it really didn't go anywhere and really just got people worked up. One side argues that star ratings aren't the end all say all and one side argues for the correlation of higher starts to higher probability a kid will pan out. Both sides are partially right BTW.

I don't want to take this thread back there. I'd like to talk a bit about how I wish a few things would change regarding the rating and ranking systems because I think they are directly related.

#1 For individual recruits, I think the four major recruiting sites (ESPN, 247, Rivals and Scout) should agree on a set standard for grading the recruits. I know that even if they do they still probably won't always be on par with each other but it would at least help alleviate the problem of one site having a guy as an average 3* and another having him as a high 4*.

I think you can see that ESPN has tried pretty hard to tweak their system to match the others over the past five years (adjusted their system twice in that time) but that said, ESPN still has a a long way to go to match up how they make a kid a 5*. In their current system I doubt Marcus Dupree would get a fifth star.

#2 For team results I wish the sites would put a bit more into evaluating a teams needs and basing the team rankings on whether or not they filled those needs.

For instance, I don't think UM should have been so high last year because we didn't fully address our WR situation. Yes we got some WRs and yes I definitely think that at least one will turn out to be pretty good but they weren't the high 4 and 5 star kids we targeted so basically they could be construed as fillers. As it is now, most sites take a cumulative score of the recruits and divide it by the class size and that really doesn't work. My personal opinion is that if a team lands two 5* QBs but doesn't need one because they have a 5* starting and a 5* on the bench then they probably haven't properly addressed their needs.

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Team recruiting rankings.   Team recruiting rankings. EmptyMon May 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Recruiting or any ratings don't REALLY matter (wins do) but they are great engines for discussion, hope, and optimism. They help keep the fans fired up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Team recruiting rankings.   Team recruiting rankings. Empty

Back to top Go down

Team recruiting rankings.
Page 1 of 1