Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.

Go down 
+4
michmike
wshoes
EJinGA
hailtoyourvictor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. Empty
PostSubject: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:57 pm

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/08/espn_says_michigans_devin_gard.html

Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. Detm5k
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:36 am

I read that. Frank Clark is on that list as well.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 7:44 am

Still worry a little bit that expectations are too high. He's going to need a good running game threat which we have not had since Mike Hart, save Denard, to set up his passing. I hope that interior of the line grows up quickly.

Denard was the best runner in terms of the speed/instincts combo that I have ever seen at Michigan. He'd have gotten 2,500 yards rushing behind some of Bo's O-lines.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 am

I agree Shoes, that it is a bit unsettling that the bar's already been set so high for Devin for '13.

However, vital as it is that our running game (particularly power running inside) develops to take some of the onus (and pressure) off him, I also think our defense---which I expect to be much improved---will ease his load as well. He won't need to lead us to 38 points a game to win. Maybe not even 20...and I mean against the GOOD teams.

He was 3-2 as a starter (simply by the mathematical terms), but in "other" terms, he was 5-0. I sure as hell can't pin losses of 21-26 or 28-33 on the QB (or offense in general).
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 9:50 am

I pin the Ohio loss on the offense, but mostly the OC. Went was too vanilla in the 2nd half. The defense played great in the 2nd half. Giving up 6 points on 2 FG and both coming on short fields.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:50 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I pin the Ohio loss on the offense, but mostly the OC.  Went was too vanilla in the 2nd half.  The defense played great in the 2nd half.  Giving up 6 points on 2 FG and both coming on short fields.  
That game made me wanna hurl. It was a winable game, against the biggest rival, on the road. Might have been a different outcome with some more aggressive play calling. Gorgeous Borges didnt trust Devin to air it out, got predictable, lost the game.

O$U is going to see a much different offense this year. And Michigan has the whole year get it ready.

Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 pm

All Gardner needs to do is take off running more often (when he's got an open lane) and his passing game should take off. His passing is already there, but if he runs more he'll open it up. Big season coming from the QB! Go Blue
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Good points all but I wonder how much they'll want him running given the lack of a proven back-up.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
mgoblue93

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 12:35 pm

wshoes wrote:
Good points all but I wonder how much they'll want him running given the lack of a proven back-up.

'shoes
yeah, I just hope he runs more on passing downs when it's there, and then slides. QBs, who have the athletic ability like DG, seem reluctant to run, because they want to focus mostly on their passing. There's nothing wrong with that, more power to him, but I think he'll open it up if he just takes off a little more.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 3:03 pm

wshoes wrote:
Still worry a little bit that expectations are too high. He's going to need a good running game threat which we have not had since Mike Hart, save Denard, to set up his passing. I hope that interior of the line grows up quickly.

Denard was the best runner in terms of the speed/instincts combo that I have ever seen at Michigan. He'd have gotten 2,500 yards rushing behind some of Bo's O-lines.

'shoes
In what world is running for 1,034 yards and 9 touchdowns in 11 games, on 5.6 yards per carry, not a good running threat?

Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. Detm5k
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Fair point on Fitz' 2011 but he was a little bit boom or bust that season (with more boom to be sure).

He was no factor @Northwestern, @MSU and in the Sugar Bowl. Its also likely that the defenses focus on Denard aided him greatly.

In year when we had top O-lines and top tailbacks our running was more consistent.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 6:55 pm

wshoes wrote:
...Still worry a little bit that expectations are too high...
^^^this^^^

wshoes wrote:
...In year when we had top O-lines and top tailbacks our running was more consistent...
^^^and this^^^

But I still think Gardner is going to have a good year. Good enough to win the B1G and get us into a BCS game. I also have prepared myself to not have meltdowns because I fully expect DG to have at least one bad game and also to make stupid mistakes in a few games, one of which will most likely cost us a game. We still win the B1G though.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 7:03 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
wshoes wrote:
...Still worry a little bit that expectations are too high...
^^^this^^^

wshoes wrote:
...In year when we had top O-lines and top tailbacks our running was more consistent...
^^^and this^^^

But I still think Gardner is going to have a good year. Good enough to win the B1G and get us into a BCS game. I also have prepared myself to not have meltdowns because I fully expect DG to have at least one bad game and also to make stupid mistakes in a few games, one of which will most likely cost us a game. We still win the B1G though.
Sage advice Sandy.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 7:21 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
I fully expect DG to have at least one bad game and also to make stupid mistakes in a few games, one of which will most likely cost us a game.
I've been saying this for a while, these are kids playing a game. Granted they are very good athletes but still kids. I agree completely.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.   Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate. Empty

Back to top Go down

Gardner ESPN's #1 breakout candidate.
Page 1 of 1