Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? Empty
PostSubject: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm

http://deadspin.com/chris-berman-trent-dilfer-and-the-nfl-love-jon-bostic-1178024837

Granted this is from the NFL, but Jon Bostic was fined $21,000 yesterday for this hit.

Wow.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Right?

That, to me, was one of the best hits I've seen put on someone in sometime.

And not a single millisecond of it appears to be illegal to me.

I'm terrified of this new targeting rule making its debut this season. Not just for our players, for the game of football as a whole.

blu4vr

PostSubject: Re: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:14 pm

It will spell the end of football as we know it. If they are so concerned with safety, just take the facemasks off. There will be no more leading with the helmet and the fundamentals of tackling will return. Lower shoulder, wrap arms, drive through, put player on ground.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Yes, this will impact some games as moron will be idiots and do things illegally. In the long run though this "should" work, I can't say that it will as it is all theoretical at this point. But remember, football is a game. A game that we all love but a game none-the-less. The average NFL career is what, something like 6 years (that is for the people who actually play).

http://nflcommunications.com/2011/04/18/what-is-average-nfl-player%E2%80%99s-career-length-longer-than-you-might-think-commissioner-goodell-says/

Are you willing to risk your entire life, or another players entire life on the "chance" that you'll play 6 years? If young children when they first start playing the game are taught how to play the game correctly simply by watching these plays be penalized there is a very small likelihood that they will emulate those plays when they get older.

This rule isn't about the "pussification" of the game, rather the lives of all of those who play the game. In addition the families of the players from Pee-Wee to the NFL are also affected if/when something happens. Tell me, is it worth it so fans can be entertained for a few minutes?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm

When the hitting gets legislated out of the game people will shut it off and the league will suffer.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 pm

True story.

ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Perhaps you missed blu's comment. That doesn't sound like hitting being eliminated...

blu4vr wrote:
It will spell the end of football as we know it.  If they are so concerned with safety, just take the facemasks off.  There will be no more leading with the helmet and the fundamentals of tackling will return.  Lower shoulder, wrap arms, drive through, put player on ground.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?   OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)? Empty

Back to top Go down

OT(?): Targeting Rule: a sign of things to come (video)?
Page 1 of 1