Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America

Go down 
+6
MaizenBlueman
eGrandpa
Admin
lovetheblue1217
Wolverdog
Go_Blue
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Go_Blue

Go_Blue

First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America Empty
PostSubject: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 pm

The first time I went to the Big house was in 1971. I just turned 6 in September and my Dad took me to The Game! It was not by his choice, I can assure you. We were living in Livonia and my Dad was prepared to go to The Game with his friends, all alums. On Firday my mother received a call from her dad stating her mom was ill and in the hospital. She immediately took a flight to AZ and my Dad was stuck with me and my sister, who was 10 at the time. My sister went to stay with her best friend for the weekend, but since I was only 6 there was nobody to stick me with. After several unsuccessful calls to find someone to watch me, my dad determined I was going to the game with him.

UM was undefeated and ranked 4th and Ohio ranked 3rd. Needless to say this was a HUGE game. My dad held me on his lap (it was allowed back then) and missed most of the game, but he did hoist me on his shoulders and we danced when the final seconds ticked off the clock. I remember the crowd and the noise, but couldn't really comprehend what was going on. UM won a huge defensive battle 10-7 and went on to lose the Rose bowl to Stanford, knocking them out of National Championship contention.

Still after that game, my dad considered me a lucky charm. Unfortunately it was the last time Bo beat Woody until 1976, with the exception of a 10-10 tie in '73.

So my first time in the Big House was one of the best wins for UM over Ohio. Unfortunately I was a little young to understand it!!

And in case you were wondering my Grandma was fine, but I don't know if my dad ever forgave her for getting indigestion masked as a heart attack!!

Go Blue!!
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America Empty
PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:05 pm

Mine was 1975, I was a freshman on the HS football team and the whole team went. Walking up the sidewalk to the stadium, I'm thinking, "This isn't that big a deal."

Then I walked thru the tunnel, and was blown away. I hadn't realized it was dug into the ground. At that time the outer wall was only like 15 feet high.

Beat Wiscy 23-6.

lovetheblue1217

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 pm

The first time I went to the Big House was in 1992 I believe. My mom had just recently got remarried and she was marrying a guy who was as big a fan of UofM as I am. My real dad never liked sports and could care less. Also I lived in Florida the majority of my childhood, so back then the only time I got to see the boys in Maize and Blue was on New Year's Day in the Rose Bowl. I can remember huddling around the tv all by myself to watch those games. Anyways my mom's new husband told me to get in the car one day that we were going for a ride. I thought nothing of it and had not lived in Michigan long, so when we jumped on I-94 I thought nothing of it. We got off in Ann Arbor and he still had not told me where we were going. All of a sudden out of nowhere, The Big House popped up. It was almost like you could hear the angels singing. So we get to our seats and not only did this man spend his hard earned money to take me to a game, he got us seats that were on the 50 yd line, row 1 right behind UofM bench. This is a memory I will never forget. He is unfortunately gone, but everytime I go to the Big House I get there early enough so I can take a walk to that area in his memory.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 pm

"The Catch", Desmond beats Notre Dame.

I was in that corner, 8 rows up. And by corner, I mean in the freaking corner.

I was 5.

Don't remember unfortunately, but luckily have a couple pictures.

First game I actually remember?? Want to say Boston College in 95 or 96 (whenever they were there).

eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 am

2001 against Illi. Remember Illi was flying high into the game hot with Kurt Kitner at QB. Michigan ended up crushing them with something like 45-20? Illi still went onto win the Big Ten somehow.

I was 13 at the time, so I remember it pretty well. I remember it being only a month or two after 9/11 so security was obviously real different entering into the gates than usual.
Back to top Go down
MaizenBlueman

PostSubject: Mercury freakin Hayes baby!   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 6:59 am

95 kickoff classic baby! 95 degrees, down 16 at the start of the 4th qtr.. Behind virginia bench at the 30! Mercury Hayes from freshman Scott Driesbach, in the corner, with the toes draggin..... freshman record "lat thetime". 353 yds passing.... tiki and ronde were on that team!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: My first time   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 am

1965, homecoming v Purdue. My much older sister was a senior that year, lived on Oakland Street in an apartment I actually rented during my senior year. We sat in the south endzone, about row 60. I can't remember the final score, but I do know it was close and that Michigan lost when Purdue quarterback, also their place-kicker, Bob Griese hit about a 45-yard field goal late in the fourth quarter to win the game. One thing I remember at the end of the game was learning about the band tradition of turning their hats backwards when leaving the field after a loss. Do they still do that? Anyway, that Griese fella turned out to be pretty important in Michigan football history! Also saw my first mud bowl that year.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:11 am

It was 1987 Northwestern. My dad had just come down for a visit, and we were sitting around, with my older brother on a Friday night. My brother says "we should head down to UM in the morning, get some tickets from a scalper and watch the game". My younger brother was being recruited by CMU, and his best friend was being recruited by UM. So he rides his buddies coat tails to get an invite to UM during his friends official visit.

So we get there, but we can't get three tickets together, so we buy two together in the end zone about 10 rows up, and the other one is clear on the other side of the stadium.

So we walk in, and back in those days they sold apple cider outside the gate. We each bought a cider, drank half and refilled with schnaps. Yuck!

So we get inside, and we see my younger brother with a group of recruits and family members walking in a big group. He yells to us, and we hurry over and he says "you guys want to meet Bo?" Well, of course we do, so he says just get in this group and stay with us.

We go straight to the field, right down the tunnel and straight to the locker room. Bo is just finishing his pregame speach. Got us pumped up. The team runs out, and Bo turns to the gaggle of recruits and says a couple things in his fire and brimstone way. Shakes our hands and leaves the room.

At this point they group is headed out to the field to watch the game. It is noticed that we do not have field passes, and we are told to head to our seats. So we go up, and two of us go down to where are seats are in the end zone. Once there, I carry one of the tickets back to my dad so the three of us can sit together. It was never questioned, and we saw UM kick the crap out of a horrible Northwestern team.

I don't remember the score, but I do remember the day like it was yesterday.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 9:32 pm

I can't exactly recall. I'm thinking in the mid-80's vs. Iowa? I was fairly over-whelmed and was still pretty new to the game (so without announcers telling me what was going on I had no clue). All I really remember was A LOT of people....

Question

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?

Last edited by 2ndComingOfBo on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
romeo49

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Homecoming 1967 as a 7 year old guest of my friends Dad ,an Alum, who took us to his frat house where we then saw the mudbowl . Adults playing in the mud left the biggest impession other than the immense size the stadium possessed. Not a sellout as I recall and UM not that good then. My next game was as a guest of my Uncle and his East Lansing family at State for the 1969 game with Michigan. My cousin and I rooted for UM and everyone else for Sparty; who won. So tough to choose then between Save-a-lot or Walmart.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 pm

romeo49 wrote:
Homecoming 1967 as a 7 year old guest of my friends Dad ,an Alum, who took us to his frat house where we then saw the mudbowl . Adults playing in the mud left the biggest impession other than the immense size the stadium possessed. Not a sellout as I recall and UM not that good then. My next game was as a guest of my Uncle and his East Lansing family at State for the 1969 game with Michigan. My cousin and I rooted for UM and everyone else for Sparty; who won. So tough to choose then between Save-a-lot or Walmart.

Was the mudbowl at a Frat house? If so I'm assuming that you are talking about the SAE house...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
romeo49

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 7:06 am

No, the mudbowl was nearby as we walked to it. My friends Dad was a teacher in Bimingham, MI
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: I went in 1974.   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:37 am

I have told the story a few times so if you've read it I'm sorry.

The game was against Navy. We waxed them 52-0. I admit I had to go back and check on the score.

As some have said, the game and the score were almost secondary.

My oldest brother (7 years older) was at Michigan for his Freshman year and he was in the Marching Band.

Mom, Dad, and I went to the game for Band Parent's Day. I don't think they even do this any more but I could be wrong.

So we showed up bright and early at the field where the band practices. I can't remember the name but it's down by Revelli Hall. We watched them do their run thru and ate with my brother and others. This was my first official "tailgate" and I really had no idea! lol Then we followed the band as they marched to the stadium.

Anyway, since it was Band Parent's day they had a section for the parents. So my brother got me a seat in the Student Section. By myself. As an 11 year old. In 1974 in Michigan Stadium. This is where the fun began!

I remember walking in and having my breath taken away. The colors. The size. The whole thing was just not real!

Back in 1974 people were allowed to carry alcohol into Michigan Games. I saw students walk past me with a case in their hands.

In 1974 The Wave as we know it today did not exist. But Michigan students had a "wave". At the end of the 3rd quarter they started passing up all of the bottles that p[eole had been drinking. Boone's Farm. Annie Green Springs. A couple of Kessler's. All these bottles going over our heads getting passed up.

I forgot about the Co-eds. Back in 1974 it was common for the students to grab smaller female students and "pass them up" above their heads! I was in heaven! 11 years old and copping feels from college girls!!!!

I felt sorta bad for the 3 students in front of me. I didn't understand "poor college student" These poor kids had to share a "cigarette". They were so poor that they had to roll it themselves too! And they didn't let any of it go to waste. When it got really small they pulled out a little holder that they clipped on the end so the could smoke the entire thing! I felt bad for them. But not for long. Funny but I don't really remember the next few minutes.......

Of course, since we were ahead all game and it was a blow out, the student section was alive. I can't even remember the fun we had but I do remember the keys jangling for a key play. I remember the students getting admonished by the PA announcer for making noise "while the ball was in play"!!! So all cheers for the next little while were SILENT CHEERS. We even did "silent" key jangling!!!!!

Yeah, it was really about more than the game for me. IT was about the entire day.

I've been to a lot of great games at Michigan stadium. Nowhere near what some of our posters have but I feel blessed every single time I step foot in Michigan Stadium!

GO BLUE!!!!!

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:45 am

Great story, Joe.

Sure feel bad for those poor college kids.... cheers

(Did their eyes look anything like the eyes in my emoticon?)

Haha.

I remember my dad telling me about how people would get high during halftime in the 70s-80s. Not inside the stadium, but still inside the gates. I'm not sure when it was, but I know one year my dad and uncle were caught blazing a doobie at halftime. They were both kicked out (no arrests, no tickets, nothing). They had two other friends who had stayed in their seats during the halftime show. Needless to say, the entire 2nd half they were wondering where the hell their other two buddies had gone. Finally after the game they found them....at the car.

romeo49

PostSubject: When did they stop allowing coolers and alcohol?    First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 pm

I remember people walking in with them in the early 70's.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: I don't remember when but   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 pm

romeo49 wrote:

They went from all you wanted down to some. Then they said you could have a soft side cooler. People bough 36 can soft side coolers so that went by the wayside too.

Then we would carry in. They made a cursory glange but that was about it.

Now a days if you get caught with alcohol they give you a ticket and toss you.

Yeah, it happened to me at a Michigan/MSU game.

And whoever talked about people smoking out in the grassy knoll is 100% correct. At halftime there was a cloud over the grassy area where nows there is an MDen.

But from what I remember, if there was a grassy spot there were sparkers sitting.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 pm

I just take a couple flasks of whiskey in these days. Go buy a coke for $87 (at least it seems so), and dump 'em in. Just wait for the team to run out or the first big play...everyone's up, while u sit there and pour your booze.

Booze on.

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 pm

You could always go to the bathroom too. Duck in a stall and pour.

I don't think they have cameras in there yet! lol

PostSubject: THEstjoefan: I was at that game as a senior   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 3:13 pm

and as I remember, Michigan scored a touchdown on a kick-off after another touchdown when the ball landed in the Navy endzone and just sat there until a Michigan player fell on it for six!! Was it that game? I think the TD was in the north (student) endzone (But I was very toasted and more than a little drunk...loved the Stroh's stay cold 12 packs, even though they didn't).
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 3:49 pm

romeo49 wrote:

Screw that, when did they stop allowing pot? lol!

joe

PostSubject: I don't remember that   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:30 pm

dwoody wrote:
and as I remember, Michigan scored a touchdown on a kick-off after another touchdown when the ball landed in the Navy endzone and just sat there until a Michigan player fell on it for six!! Was it that game? I think the TD was in the north (student) endzone (But I was very toasted and more than a little drunk...loved the Stroh's stay cold 12 packs, even though they didn't).

WEre you sitting right in front of an 11 year old? lol

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:04 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
dwoody wrote:

WEre you sitting right in front of an 11 year old? lol

Nope, sort of off to the right (pressbox) side about 5 yds in the endzone, row 43. No little kids, just a bunch of stoned, drunk dirty hippies!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Wolverdog wrote:
romeo49 wrote:

It's unfortunate. Some people just need to ease their minds from time to time. Some drink booze. Some eat pills. Others smoke the wacky tobaccy.

Hey, if you're not hurting others, I don't care what you do.

Just keep on livin'.

(Ok, if that didn't make me sound like the biggest hippie left on Earth, I don't know what would)

lol!

joe

joe

PostSubject: And if they do   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Admin wrote:
Wolverdog wrote:
romeo49 wrote:

It's unfortunate. Some people just need to ease their minds from time to time. Some drink booze. Some eat pills. Others smoke the wacky tobaccy.

Hey, if you're not hurting others, I don't care what you do.

Just keep on livin'.

(Ok, if that didn't make me sound like the biggest hippie left on Earth, I don't know what would)

lol!

All 3 then more power to 'em!!!

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:49 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
I can't remember the name but it's down by Revelli Hall.

Elbel field.

THEstjoemfan wrote:
I forgot about the Co-eds. Back in 1974 it was common for the students to grab smaller female students and "pass them up" above their heads! I was in heaven! 11 years old and copping feels from college girls!!!!

You think that still doesn't happen today? Have you been to a game within the last 2 decades?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 7:04 pm

My last time in the Student Section was OSU 1997. Trust me, that day there were no coeds being passed up.

Too much on the line.

And, uh, I've been to about 70 games in the last 2 decades. However I admit I do not pay much attention to the students. I sit in the other endzone and worry a little bit more about the game than the students.

PostSubject: Re: First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America   First time at the Big House.  I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America Empty

Back to top Go down

First time at the Big House. I want to dedicate this thread to the first time you fans entered the most amazing stadium in America
Page 1 of 1