Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The well-coached, developing

Go down 
+2
hailtoyourvictor
dwoody
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dwoody

dwoody

The well-coached, developing Empty
PostSubject: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 3:35 pm

basketball team is on espn2 6:30 p.m. Bit of trivia: Stauskas' dad was a Canadian heavy metal rock star, per Dan Dakich.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm glad we kept this coach after he shit the bed his 3rd year after being ranked #15 in the preseason.

Allowing a coach time to build a program is worth the few years of transition it takes.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 7:19 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
I'm glad we kept this coach after he shit the bed his 3rd year after being ranked #15 in the preseason.

Allowing a coach time to build a program is worth the few years of transition it takes.
Every case and every coach is different and should be treated as the case merits. AS I've said before I don't think the Beilein- Hoke analogy works very well.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 7:25 pm

wshoes wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:

Every case and every coach is different and should be treated as the case merits. AS I've said before I don't think the Beilein- Hoke analogy works very well.

'shoes
+1

Go Blue!! Smile
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 7:33 pm

wshoes wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:

'shoes
Of course every case should be treated differently, but at the end of the day it comes back to no coach should be expected to be competing for championships their 3rd year in a rebuild phase.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 7:59 pm

But there is a vast difference between competing for championships and 5th place in the Legends division.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 8:12 pm

In 2009/2010, Beilein's third season, Michigan was ranked #15 preseason. The team had two players on the "Top 50 Wooden watch". The team was suppose to be good. They went 15-17 and finished 8th in the Big Ten.

It takes time to build a program.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 8:56 pm

I am with hail on this, although the evidence in football, at least for now, is the team is making no progress offensively, and that is very worrisome.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 9:08 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
In 2009/2010, Beilein's third season, Michigan was ranked #15 preseason. The team had two players on the "Top 50 Wooden watch". The team was suppose to be good. They went 15-17 and finished 8th in the Big Ten.

I got that the first time.But that 09-10 team really missed CJ Lee (and Merrit to a lesser extent) and Morris was a little slow to develop that first year. Again Beilein has won over 600 games and taken 4 different teams to the tournament. Way, way more of a proven track record of success than Hoke. He also is a teacher and a tactician who is totally involved with both the defense and offense. Brady is totally involved with one position group and a CEO with some bad managers underneath him.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 10:35 pm

wshoes wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:

I got that the first time.But that 09-10 team really missed CJ Lee (and Merrit to a lesser extent) and Morris was a little slow to develop that first year. Again Beilein has won over 600 games and taken 4 different teams to the tournament. Way, way more of a proven track record of success than Hoke. He also is a teacher and a tactician who is totally involved with both the defense and offense. Brady is totally involved with one position group and a CEO with some bad managers underneath him.

'shoes
Right, and you can add that Beilein is one of the most respect basketball minds in the nation. Consider all of that and it even took him more than three years to turn the program around. Once he got his guys into the system, things started clicking.
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Damn basketball, Miss Burke the size of heart Staukas looked great, Lavert looked bad and Walton needs to improve, God i hate losing to non rianked opponents

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 10:59 pm

that's fine but the error in your logic is that this is the same situation as Hoke.

There are tons of examples of coaches who didn't get it together after 3 years.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 11:21 pm

wshoes wrote:
that's fine but the error in your logic is that this is the same situation as Hoke.

There are tons of examples of coaches who didn't get it together after 3 years.
And tons of examples of coaches who did. Which is why I want another year to be sure.
Back to top Go down
jjabilene

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 10:13 am

Sorry to perpetuate this argument, but there was a significant portion of Michigan fans who wanted Beilein gone immediately before the big dance last year, which was towards the end of his SIXTH season. I do agree with Shoes though, there are some similarities between Beilein and Hoke's situation, but there are at least as many differences. Namely, Hoke was given almost universal support from day one by the whole university and community, Beilein stepped into a tougher environment. Here's an interesting similarity though, after year three, Beilein revamped his entire coaching staff, will Hoke be willing to do the same (obviously talking offense here)?
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Well, if we are going to be fair, then you'd also have to consider that it is much, much easier for underclassmen to make a difference in basketball than football. Michigan went to the NC game and their top 7 consisted of 5 freshmen, a sophomore, and a junior. Three years in terms of getting "your guys" into a basketball system is a lot more time compared to three years of getting "your guys" into a football system.

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 7:09 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
Well, if we are going to be fair, then you'd also have to consider that it is much, much easier for underclassmen to make a difference in basketball than football. Michigan went to the NC game and their top 7 consisted of 5 freshmen, a sophomore, and a junior. Three years in terms of getting "your guys" into a basketball system is a lot more time compared to three years of getting "your guys" into a football system.
You made the comparison with the 3 years and now you're saying it's not a good one? I agree. For the record I support giving Brady another year (and he is going to get it whether I support it or not), but I do not think he is an outstanding coach. He has some great qualities and with the right combinations we'll get great results, but it makes it just a little bit harder when you don't have an outstanding coach.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 1:00 am

I was never trying to compare apples to apples. I was merely showing that if it takes a coach like Beilein that long to turn a program around then we shouldn't be surprised it takes others that long too.

PostSubject: Re: The well-coached, developing   The well-coached, developing Empty

Back to top Go down

The well-coached, developing
Page 1 of 1