Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: High school kids have it easy

Go down 
+4
dwoody
EJinGA
fishgoblue22
booboo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
booboo

booboo

OT: High school kids have it easy Empty
PostSubject: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 am

I work in a high school athletic dept. Kids will talk about can't wait to get out of school, of course I'll chime in teasing them how easy you have it now, especially all the time off you have.

This leads to point of this, since the kids went on Christmas break on Friday 12/20, they had 16 days off for break, suppose to go back to school on mon. 1/6 but had 3 days off due to snow & cold, so 2 days of school that week. Actually all 5 days of school week of the 13th. Week of the 20th, no school mon. for MLK day, no school wed. because some pipes froze, then burst, about 10 classrooms severe damage & flooding in others. Oh, no school Friday because of cold/wind chill. BTW next week, actual morning temps. on tues. & wed. are suppose to be 7 to 10 below, add wind chill around 25 below. Could see more time off.

Doing my math, 9 days of schools in the last 35 days. Life is good!!!

BTW when I was in school we walked to school into the wind, only 1 glove, 1 boot & walked home into the wind as well. We didn't have days off for wind chills, we sucked it up & went to school!!!   Evil or Very Mad 

GO BLUE!!!

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 6:14 am

And don't forget, we had to walk uphill both ways.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 7:27 am

Man, looking back I don't know how I survived high school. Other than the socializing, I would never want to do that again. I'm sure when I was in HS, I never imagined working 60 hour weeks and paying shit high taxes.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 7:43 am

I went to public schools in a fairly large city in Michigan from 1958-71, and we had no (0) days off due to weather. Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
And don't forget, we had to walk uphill both ways.

Ahem, Fish---explain, please?

Joking aside, I get all of your (Fish, EJ, booboo, woody) drifts (not the snow variety, either). And in high school,
we waited for the city bus (not school bus) in all kinds of weather, and were expected to be at school even if
they weren't running.

Nor did we get that asinine "February Break" week off (as in Rochester NY schools, where my kids went), so the
richer parents could go to Florida and Disney without the kids wracking up an "illegal absence"...total bullshit.
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 8:31 am

In Holly, we never had snow days. We had maybe 2 or 3 the whole 4 years, and their were some wicked snow storms.

Here in GA, the local school district has had THREE days off because it was COLD.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 1:26 pm

I moved from a school in LA that had 700 in my class (although it was probably only going to be around a 60% graduation rate) to a school in southwest Michigan that had 350 total in the school.

For me high school was pretty easy, even though at first, I was shocked at the difference in the curriculum.

Like everyone I have a lot of gripes about my high school experience but I think the two main things that stick out to me was that the school was so small that there was no privacy and two I was the only latino in a school that also only had one black family and zero asians. Suffice to say, racism was a near daily part of my high school experience.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 4:26 pm

'eggo, was that Decatur, Michigan, by chance?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 5:32 pm

dwoody wrote:
'eggo, was that Decatur, Michigan, by chance?

Close. It was Edwardsburg. It's actually 2 minutes north across the state line from Admin (Elkhart IN). In fact every one worked in Elkhart or South Bend which is the reason we moved there in the first place (Notre Dame).

The school has actually gotten much bigger since I graduated but I can't speak for it's diversity.

All in all it was a good school and I'm glad that I was given the chance to go to a school that was safer and had higher academic standards but as with all places it had it's share of problems, some different than for others.
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm

My brother lived in Elkhart. I remember having to walk home after play practice 3/4 of a mile and the snow was 6' deep from blowing and drifting cars couldn't get down the road
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 9:44 pm

It can be quite the snow belt through there
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 7:19 am

I remember sleeping as late as I could, then walking to school in the winter with wet hair and my hair freezing.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 10:08 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I remember sleeping as late as I could, then walking to school in the winter with wet hair and my hair freezing.

ha ha I did the same thing. we lived in the "no bus" zone so I had to walk but it wasn't far, .7 mile according to google maps. still it was far enough for my hair to freeze up if it was cold enough.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: High school kids have it easy   OT: High school kids have it easy Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: High school kids have it easy
Page 1 of 1