Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I learned something about FERPA

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

I learned something about FERPA Empty
PostSubject: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 8:54 am

This is the act that everyone talks about when they can't/don't want to divulge information about a student/athlete.

Did you know that because of FERPA a parent is not allowed to get any academic information on their son/daughter from any professor, assistant, or even from the university itself?

Once a student has reached 18 years of age the only way LEGALLY a parent can find out about their child's ACADEMIC progress is from the student themselves. PERIOD.

I see the point. Sorta. Maybe. Not really!

I paid $25,000 a year for my son to go to UofM. Yet I'm not allowed to talk to ANYONE at MICHIGAN about his academic standing unless my son says I can. BULLSHIT!

Now, with that being said, there are many students who pay their own way and the ^^above^^ shouldn't come into play. Or there could be estranged parents trying to pry or use kids tr drive wedges in families...... There is some of that in this world.

I didn't have any idea of what FERPA was when my son went there. Has anyone ever heard of FERPA outside of athletic discussions?

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 am

Adults are entitled to privacy rights, and 18 yr olds ARE adults, like it or not. Parents with healthy relationships with their kids should have no trouble getting this info from the kids. If the relationship is so fractured that this info is not forthcoming, they could simply stop footing the bills.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 am

Well woody, I've raised kids. Lets not say the info may not be "forthcoming" but maybe not all info is divulged????

Maybe I'm muddling it up more than I should.

What I'm saying is, no matter how "good" kids are you are still only getting one side of the story. They tell you what they want to tell you. No matter how "good" they are.

I dunno. It's like I said, there are too many variables.....

joe

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 am

And woody? I can't tell you haw many instances I've heard or seen on TV or whatever....

"Not while you live in MY house!"

Maybe not legal but still a very real situation in most of the country.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 10:03 am

joe wrote:
Well woody, I've raised kids. Lets not say the info may not be "forthcoming" but maybe not all info is divulged????

Maybe I'm muddling it up more than I should.

What I'm saying is, no matter how "good" kids are you are still only getting one side of the story. They tell you what they want to tell you. No matter how "good" they are.

I dunno. It's like I said, there are too many variables.....

I get it, but the University doesn't care who is paying the tuition. That is between the student and his/her parents.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 10:37 am

Yeah, as I think about it more I may have over-reacted.

Just the thought of me not being able to find out if my money is being used wisely..........

But woody brings up a good point. And so do you.

I wonder why that act was originally concocted? All of these things get put into place because of a single instance in time. What instance "Caused" FERPA?

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 10:50 am

Just so you know, Joe, if Amy would not give me that kind of information I would also be pissed as hell, but, them's the breaks. Legally an adult, legally entitled to privacy. All we can do at that point is hope for the best based on upbringing. So far, so good for me.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah, me too woody.

It just caught me wrong when I heard it at 7:00 this AM.

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 pm

lol I am old school when it comes to this .... I am paying for the education and the famous " while you are under my house " .... though you can't fault the university for privacy of the student .... comes down to the parent and child having an honest relationship
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 12:35 pm

dwoody wrote:
Just so you know, Joe, if Amy would not give me that kind of information I would also be pissed as hell, but, them's the breaks. Legally an adult, legally entitled to privacy. All we can do at that point is hope for the best based on upbringing. So far, so good for me.

When my daughter was in school we had the "you don't want to tell us your grades, then we don't want to pay for your school". It worked out, but she is an over sharer anyway. She tells her mother everything, which means her mother tells me everything, even stuff I do NOT want to know. LOL
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 12:49 pm

fish , same with my son , though he is a mamas boy and tells her everything , not that he doesn't confide in me ..... he always ends up being honest with us even when we will not be pleased LOL .... my young daughter though is another story LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I learned something about FERPA   I learned something about FERPA Empty

Back to top Go down

I learned something about FERPA
Page 1 of 1