Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New rules on defensive substitutions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

New rules on defensive substitutions Empty
PostSubject: New rules on defensive substitutions   New rules on defensive substitutions EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:36 am

For those that haven't heard there is a new rule floating around allowing the defense the first 10 seconds of a play clock to make substitutions. Coaches like RR and any other fast paced offenses are fighting against it tooth and nail.

It's a little funny but I was just talking to my wife 4 days ago about the changes in College football over the last few years and one of the things I told her (rather vehemently) I HATED was when the offensive team rushes up to the line, waits a couple of counts, then everyone steps back and looks at the sidelines.

I HATE THAT! It's BULLSHIT!

Here is what I see.

The defense is forced into a formation, with NO substitutions, by a team with NO thought of snapping the ball.

Then the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR tells the QB what to call based upon the "frozen" defense.

Sorry, to me that's BULLSHIT.

WHEN I WAS A BOY........ lol. What ever happened to the QB reading the defense and changing the play? That's the way it was until about 10 years ago. Dennis Dixon and the Ducks were the first team I remember seeing looking to the sidelines for a play. So to say they are changing something that is centuries old is, again, BULLSHIT.

So, don't change the rule. But then make it illegal for the QB to look to the sidelines for a play after X amount of time.

The Proponents of this old rule are the guys with egos the size of Texas. Plus they realize the "old way" actually puts the defensive players against a COACH and not college aged kids. HELL NO they don't want to change it. It shows that 40 year old coaches are smarter than 18 year old kids. This goes back to my first paragraph.

Also, how do college QBs ever learn to read defenses or make adjustments if the Offensive Coordinator makes them all for him?

Now, as far as the second paragraph, I will never ever ever like it when a team goes to the line, sets up, then relaxes and all looks to the sidelines for a play. EVER.

I realize I am in the minority on this discussion. Almost every radio blowhard and TV blowhard thinks it's idiotic. But not one of them ever mentions that the current way pits a coordinator against a defense instead of an offense against a defense. It's unfair. I've always thought it.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: New rules on defensive substitutions   New rules on defensive substitutions EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 am

Offense should dictate the pace of the game. ALWAYS. Defense is called defense because you are supposed to stop the offense. If you can't stop the offense, you don't change the rules to help you. This proposed rule change is ridiculous.

Answer this question: offense is at the LOS, barking out signals. The clock is at say 31 seconds. A defensive linemen jumps into the neutral zone so the center snaps the ball to catch him offsides. But the clock isn't at 29 seconds so it is a "delay of game" on the offense. So is the delay wiped out because of the offsides or is it still a delay?

Who is the penalty on?

Stupid rule proposal by a bunch of guys that can't stop the no huddle and want to tilt the rules in their favor.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: New rules on defensive substitutions   New rules on defensive substitutions EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 11:28 am

I agree with Fish JOE

joe

PostSubject: Re: New rules on defensive substitutions   New rules on defensive substitutions EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Well fish, it would be a penalty on the Defense.

Let's not get dumb.

The rule is the defense can't snap the ball until the clock hits :29. If they are barking fake signals and a college aged kid is stupid enough to jump then the penalty is on him.

Here's my issue, both of you, It isn't the offense dictating the pace. It is the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR dictating the pace.

This is MHO but isn't this supposed to be a game between 18-22 year old PLAYERS against each other isn't it?

Doing it the current way is pitting an OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR aged 35-60 against 18-22 year old college players.

Do it my way. The offense can snap the ball any time they want. But once in formation they can not look to the sidelines to call/change a  play. If the COLLEGE AGED QB is smart enough to change the call then the team will do well.

Again, none of this crap was prevalent more than 10 years ago.

AND you notice the coaches that are fighting against it are the ones that always HAVE to have their names in the spotlight telling the country how great of an offense they run?

"Look a me, Look at me! I'm smarter than an 18 year old college kid!!!!!"

And, again I'll say, I knew I'd be in the minority. That's OK

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: New rules on defensive substitutions   New rules on defensive substitutions EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:34 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
I agree with Fish JOE

I agree too.This is all about Saban looking for an edge. Scr-w him.

'shoes
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: New rules on defensive substitutions   New rules on defensive substitutions EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Honestly, and I said it in my original post, I CAN'T STAND seeing a team come to the line and then all back off and look to the sidelines. It makes me want to turn the TV off. I mean it. I can't state firmly enough how much I LOATHE this practice. I don't care who does it.

I don't really care what coach requested it.

Please realize again, I knew I'd be in the minority and am not upset at anyone that disagrees with me. lol

PostSubject: Re: New rules on defensive substitutions   New rules on defensive substitutions Empty

Back to top Go down

New rules on defensive substitutions
Page 1 of 1