Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Irish Envy

Go down 
+3
michmike
sandyeggo_blue
joe
7 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 7:13 pm

is the ND forum.

I was reading and here's one comment that I laughed at so hard I thought you guys would enjoy it.

It was posted by Fbolt who has been on their forum since 2007.

"ND will win, crushing them by 20+ points. Golson will pass for 200, throwing TD to Daniels and Robinson. Folston and Bryant will run for 250+, each scoring TD's. The defense under VG will have a breakout game, tea-bagging the Wolverines for 3 TO's and multiple TFL, including 4 sacks. The win will set the Irish up for a great season and an invite to the playoffs.

Prediction, ND 46, UM 13"

If this prediction comes true I will quit watching Michigan football.

joe

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 7:21 pm

And another comment

"Could everyone politely F U C K Michigan on the way out. Please and thank you."

sandyeggo_blue

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 pm

I must admit I am anxious to see if the D can contain a loose Golson. The dude can flat out make plays when flushed out of the pocket. He also has a pretty decent arm so it's totally possible that he makes a few accurate throws while scrambling. I like the coverage and physical play of our secondary though so I think he'll have a much harder time finding guys to throw this time around. Michigan secondary > Rice secondary

rushing for 250+???? bwahahahaha!  I hope they don't mean their RBs running for 250+. Again, it's not totally implausible that Golson can get loose and make a few long scrambles thus racking up rushing yards along the way. But to think that they are going to line it up and have their RBs pound the ball on us for 250+ is absolutely ridiculous.  Michigan rush D > Rice rush D

I have to admit, given the last time UM went to South Bend the TO thing still haunts me. I know it's two years removed and that I shouldn't live in the past but I have nightmares of  that. How the hell do you turn the ball over on five straight drives. All of them INTs no less (even vincent smith had one). And after all of that, to only lose the game by 7, just knowing what UM let slip out of their hands. ugggh!!!  You've gotta believe it's gonna be different this time around.

QB edge - Mich
Offense line edge - ND
WR edge - Mich
RB edge - ???
Defensive line edge - Mich
Secondary edge - Mich
Special teams - draw

UM wins by at least a TD.

Last edited by sandyeggo_blue on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
michmike

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 8:26 am

Sandy, what's a strait drive?   A trip between the tips of Russia and Alaska?   Or past the Rock of Gibralter?

Cripes, people, learn the English language already!!!

J/K.  It's early, boss is on my case, and I have (honestly) a bad toothache to boot. Have to vent now and then, dig?
Back to top Go down
michmike

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 am

On a more pertinent note:  M 20, ND 17.

I say we score first, and lead the entire game (though never by more than seven), including 20-10 entering the final quarter, and our "D" forces a punt, then on their next series they score to pull within 3, and after DG hits a pass for a clock-killing first down, Hagerup booms one into their endzone for a TB with under two minutes left, and "desperation mode" compels Gholson to badly overthrow a pass, into the waiting arms of Channing Stribling, playing as our 6th DB in a dime package.

What kills the Irish (who lose one more turnover than we, but commit 20-25 more yards' worth in penalties) is their nerves, knowing they'll not have another chance to get back at us for who-knows-how-long, and that they'll be 2-7 since 2006 (and 1-5 since 2009) with a loss.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 9:25 am

I fucking hate those people.

I hate them more than OSU people.

Fuck them all, even the 'nice' ones.

/drops mic, steps off podium.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 9:37 am

Admin wrote:
I fucking hate those people.

I hate them more than OSU people.

Fuck them all, even the 'nice' ones.

/drops mic, steps off podium.

I don't know man, OSU people are the worst. OSU fans are nasty bastards for the most part. ND fans are arrogant. MSU fans are idiots. That about sums it up.
Back to top Go down
michmike

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 9:52 am

Gotta go with Fish's appraisal.  Here's how I'd word it:  Before a really big game, after having beaten the host team the year before, where would you feel LEAST comfortable sporting a Michigan sweatshirt and walking the streets to the stadium:  South Bend, East Lansing, or Columbus?

I know my answer.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 am

Well fish and mike, both ADMIN and I grew up a few miles from ND campus.

I know what he went through as a kid living in that area. I have talked with him about it many times. His hatred is childhood borne.

I also lived around there but not quite as close and there were tons of Michigan fans. I m not a jaundiced against them as much as ADMIN.

Mike, in answer to your question, I always walk through East Lansing in my Michigan stuff. I have walked through South Bend with Michigan stuff on. I've never stepped foot on Ohio's campus but don't think I would do so in Michigan gear.

the artist formally known

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 10:42 am

I love that everyone come in thinking Michigan sucks. I don't believe ND will dominate Michigan . I think this is going to be a close game. Navy was small up front and ND surley wasn't dominating against them Navy doesn't have Michigan speed, and that hurt Navy in the passing game. Golston does scare me because of his scrambling ability, really need to contain him.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 10:52 am

ND played Rice.

Ohio played Navy.

Rice won their conference last year.

But teams change a lot from year to year.

fishgoblue22

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 11:19 am

If it were at home I'd say UM by 10. Hoke has proven that his teams struggle on the road, so I'm going with UM by 3.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 11:51 am

Hate to say it but some of our own fans are just about as far out there as their fans.

I read stuff on MGoBlog and some of our own fans post the same stuff only in our favor.

I suppose anything is possible but IMHO anyone predicting any win over 10 points is delusional.

But, Fan is short for Fanatic.

sandyeggo_blue

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 11:56 am

michmike wrote:
On a more pertinent note:  M 20, ND 17.

I say we score first, and lead the entire game (though never by more than seven), including 20-10 entering the final quarter, and our "D" forces a punt, then on their next series they score to pull within 3, and after DG hits a pass for a clock-killing first down, Hagerup booms one into their endzone for a TB with under two minutes left, and "desperation mode" compels Gholson to badly overthrow a pass, into the waiting arms of Channing Stribling, playing as our 6th DB in a dime package.

What kills the Irish (who lose one more turnover than we, but commit 20-25 more yards' worth in penalties) is their nerves, knowing they'll not have another chance to get back at us for who-knows-how-long, and that they'll be 2-7 since 2006 (and 1-5 since 2009) with a loss.

Who's Gholson??? Do you mean Golson?

Cripes, people, learn to spell people's names already!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

jk mike

sandyeggo_blue

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:26 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
...MSU fans are idiots...

MSU fans are like the poor next door neighbor that wins a $5 million dollar lottery.

They've been used to being on hard times pretty much their entire life.

They come into some money and don't know how to act.

In 5 years they are back to being broke and living a shitty life.

Sparty has had a nice run lately. I'll give them that. I think once Narduzzi leaves (which is inevitable) it will be all over.

fishgoblue22

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 12:48 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:
...MSU fans are idiots...

MSU fans are like the poor next door neighbor that wins a $5 million dollar lottery.

They've been used to being on hard times pretty much their entire life.

They come into some money and don't know how to act.

In 5 years they are back to being broke and living a shitty life.

Sparty has had a nice run lately. I'll give them that. I think once Narduzzi leaves (which is inevitable) it will be all over.

Two things

1) I told my brother, MSU fan, what Brad Edwards of ESPN said about MSU. He said that they have a small margin for error, because they have built a great team with lesser talent. Last season every bounce went there way. He also said that with MD, they will be competative, but the talent disparity will catch up with them sooner or later.

2) My brother's response was "We don't want 5* recruits, we want system recruits". So I asked why, if that is true, do they offer 5* recruits, and why did the take McDowell, since he was a 5*.

Ridiculous the way the drink the koolaid. Plus, I think that when the Old Ball Coach retires, after this season or next, MD will be the first person called by the Gamecocks.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyThu Sep 04, 2014 4:46 pm

My utter hate for Notre Dame and their fans comes from, as joe pointed out, my proximity to the school growing up.

I grew up in Elkhart, the town just east of South Bend (about 15 minutes from the stadium when using the toll road).

Ohio State fans may be a worse set of people overall (because much of them are trashy hillbillies, or truck drivers if you ask Ufer), but the arrogance and snootiness of ND fans is unrivaled by anyone, including our fan base.

You also have to understand that area and where/how Notre Dame fits in.

It doesn't fit in.

It's not a college town. South Bend and Elkhart are very, very blue collar towns. But in the middle of it you have a prestigious university packed with nerds. Then every Saturday you get 80,000+ people making their way to South Bend for the games...many of them alumni and supporters of the program....people that would NEVER live in South Bend themselves.

Thank Touchdown Jesus that my father steered me away from following the herd and becoming a ND fan like every other kid that grows up in that area.

michmike

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 7:43 am

I hear 'ya, Admin.  And I've long known South Bend (like Elkhart and others listed below) is a blue-collar, rustbelt town.  Along with every one on the 19th-century route of the New York Central railroad from Chicago to New York (That encompasses Indiana's two, Toledo and Cleveland (OH), Erie (Pa), and Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica and Albany NY.  Immigration at that point in US history built them along the (iron) road most traveled.  And when the manufacturing sector tanked in the latter 20th century, the rust set in...for them all.

Enough geopolitics. Regarding the arrogance and snootiness of ND fans: though Fish, Joe, Shoes and others long familiar with me will slug me for raising this for the trillionth time, to this day, my far-and-away favorite M-ND game (if not my favorite M game overall) was the 1978 win.  Because, as a young 20-something (like you), enjoying and loving the good life but working in an office of Irish fans, I would have taken it so bad on Monday, 9-25-78, had we lost, that it was more relief than joy seeing Ricky Leach outduel Joe Montana.  Yes, they were a cocky bunch, that group...

And let's not leave out the age-old "Holier-than-thou" crap so pervasive among Irish fans...particularly the older, life-long ones. After Montana led them to a blasting of Texas and the NC the year before ('77), I must have seen---around my native Rochester, NY, some 625 miles from S.Bend---two dozen bumper stickers, "God made Notre Dame No.1".  Christ!  Atheist though I am, I nonetheless ask: do they believe fans of opposing teams aren't allowed to pray, too????
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 9:12 am

1978 was a really big deal considering none of us had been born since the last time we played them. Anticipation was sky high, and the result delicious.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 9:32 am

michmike wrote:
that it was more relief than joy

That's how I feel about every UM/ND game. There's more relief than joy when we win.

joe

joe

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 1:59 pm

I was at that '78 game. My brother had just graduated from Michigan and my dad got tickets and the 4 (with mom) of us went to that game.

Truthfully one of the best games I've ever witnessed.

joe

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm

And I was also in attendance in 94 when Remy broke their hearts with the last second field goal.

Was also there for a 38-0 drubbing. Walking out of the stadium chanting

"IT'S GREAT TO BE A MICHIGAN WOLVERINE!!!!"

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 9:41 am

Joe, that (9-23-78) might also have been the loveliest first-of-Autumn day I ever remember in (my native) Rochester, NY; after Curtis Greer sealed the deal with the safety-sack of Montana, the wife and I drove downtown to buy her new ballet tights, etc. (she was a dancer then, as the daughter is now), and it was maybe 59 dewpoint, 71 degrees, very light wind out of the southwest, and as blue (and Maize!) a sky as I ever recall.

Needless to say, the feelings in this then-26-year-old mind didn't hurt the, umm, "circumstances", either, given the relief afforded me by the game!

Memories like that, and of so many of your-friend-and-mine Wolverine Historian (nee: AndyGoBlue), or of course, on the flip-side, for ND fans of the Harry Oliver game, the Rocket, or their 4-year streak 1987-90, make this series' end that much sadder for fans for both teams.  How many of the games (since '78) came down to the last possession of the game being a score or a stop?  I'll venture a guess of 75%.

For the life of me I can't see how Brian Kelly, their AD, or anyone can say M-ND "Isn't a true rivalry"...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Irish Envy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Irish Envy   Irish Envy Empty

Back to top Go down

Irish Envy
Page 1 of 1