Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good Choice For AD

Go down 
+8
GOBLUEJOE66
fishgoblue22
MGOBLUEBC
ThatGuy
joe
sandyeggo_blue
dwoody
gm_goblue1205
12 posters
AuthorMessage
gm_goblue1205

gm_goblue1205

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 4:55 pm

I think we spoke about this but since now DB is gone who is the right guy for AD At Michigan

Warde Manuel
Athletic director, University of Connecticut

A New Orleans native, Manuel played football at Michigan as a defensive tackle for Bo Schembechler from 1986 to 1989. He also spent time as a track and field athlete while in Ann Arbor.
After spending six years as the athletic director at the University of Buffalo, Manuel was hired for the same job at the University of Connecticut in 2012.
Manuel's most notable move while at UConn was his hiring of men's basketball coach Kevin Ollie, who took over for long-time coach Jim Calhoun and led the Huskies to a national title this past spring. Manuel also recently hired former Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco as the football PROGRAM'S new coach, after firing Paul Pasqualoni.

While at Buffalo, Manuel hired Turner Gill, who led the PROGRAM to its first winning season and bowl bid since joining Division I athletics.

Brad Bates
Athletic director, Boston College
A native of Port Huron, Bates was a defensive back at Michigan under Schembechler, wrapping up his career on the field in 1980. Bates ultimately became the athletic director at Miami (Ohio) in 2002. Prior to that, he spent time as a senior associate athletic director at Vanderbilt, from 1985-2002.
Bates was hired by Boston College in 2012. His first notable football move was to fire embattled coach Frank Spaziani in December of 2012.

From there, Bates hired current BC coach Steve Addazio, who went 7-6 last season and has Boston College at 5-3 overall this year.

While at Miami, Bates helped the RedHawks achieve back-to-back bowl bids (2003-04) for the first time in 30 years. Also while at Miami, 14 of the school's 18 athletic teams won at least one conference title.

Jeff Long
Athletic director, Arkansas
A Kettering, Ohio native, Long became Arkansas' athletic director in 2008 after a stint as Pittsburgh's AD.
Long spent most of his pre-athletic director days at Michigan. Hired by Schembechler, Long served a number of roles on an administrative level in Ann Arbor before ultimately becoming an associate athletic director.
Long's wife, Fanny, is an Ann Arbor native.
Perhaps the most notable moment of Long's tenure at Arkansas was the Bobby Petrino scandal. Long ultimately fired Petrino after the coach lied to the university about a motorcycle accident and an affair he was having with a school staffer. From there, Long hired John L. Smith as Petrino's replacement, before ultimately pulling Bret Bielema away from Wisconsin.
Long is also longtime friends with Michigan football coach Brady Hoke, as the two went to the same high school.

Joe Parker
Deputy athletic director, Texas Tech
Parker does not have Division I athletic director experience, but he is a Michigan graduate (1987) with extensive experience in Michigan's athletic department.
Parker spent eight years as an associate athletic director for development at Michigan, ultimately being promoted to a senior associate athletic director for development in 2006.
While at Michigan, Parker helped develop renovations to Michigan Stadium, the Ross Academic Center, the baseball and softball complexes, football locker rooms, the Al Glick Field House, the Junge Family Champions Center, the William Davidson Player Development Center and more.

He was hired by Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt to be the school's deputy athletic director in 2011.

Ok Guys what do you think is the right guy to bring in the right coach and do right by the fans and students.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 5:42 pm

Unless you are Nick Baumgardner and wrote the article, you should attribute this to the mlive source...jus' sayin', as a long-ago reporter.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 6:04 pm

gm_goblue1205 wrote:
...Ok Guys what do you think is the right guy to bring in the right coach and do right by the fans and students...

I think Long, Manuel and Bates all have the experience to come in and hit the ground running in UM's current state. I worry that Long could let his friendship with Brady get in the way a bit but that is most likely just a paranoid thought I have.

I doubt this is anywhere close to the final list but it's the most obvious at this point.

I think MGOBLUEBC asked the question in another thread, "Who could convince the Harbaughs to come?"  There's your answer.

joe

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 7:40 pm

A tweet said the cmu ad has been contacted

ThatGuy

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 11:41 pm

joe wrote:

I'm less than thrilled to hear that but whatever...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 12:38 am

TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
joe wrote:

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/genrel/heeke_dave02.html

..."In June 2013, Heeke was appointed to the Division I Athletic Director Advisory Group. One of just 11 Division I athletic director's nationwide to be selected for the appointment, the group will meet periodically with NCAA President Mark Emmert and his staff to provide feedback and perspective on issues affecting DI athletics... "

Nice resume

..."The East Lansing, Mich., native spent 18 years at the University of Oregon, including serving as senior associate athletics director/chief of staff. There he assisted the athletics director with the daily operation of the Ducks' $40 million budget and 17 sports. His primary role was revenue generation through external operations. He also was the direct administrative supervisor for football, men's basketball, women's soccer and softball..."

Impressive

..."Heeke received a bachelor's degree from Albion College in 1985 and a master's degree from Ohio State University in 1987..."

not impressed ha ha Laughing Laughing

ThatGuy

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 3:15 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
TheNewBlueOrder wrote:
joe wrote:

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/genrel/heeke_dave02.html

..."In June 2013, Heeke was appointed to the Division I Athletic Director Advisory Group. One of just 11 Division I athletic director's nationwide to be selected for the appointment, the group will meet periodically with NCAA President Mark Emmert and his staff to provide feedback and perspective on issues affecting DI athletics... "

Nice resume

..."The East Lansing, Mich., native spent 18 years at the University of Oregon, including serving as senior associate athletics director/chief of staff. There he assisted the athletics director with the daily operation of the Ducks' $40 million budget and 17 sports. His primary role was revenue generation through external operations. He also was the direct administrative supervisor for football, men's basketball, women's soccer and softball..."

Impressive

..."Heeke received a bachelor's degree from Albion College in 1985 and a master's degree from Ohio State University in 1987..."

not impressed ha ha Laughing Laughing

Albion is a damn good school, trust me on this. And tuo$ is still a B1G university regardless of our personal feelings for it. Still, he's from east landfill. You know how I feel about that entire area (Sorry joe but it's true).

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 7:10 am

So, this Heeke has no ties to UM? I think I'd rather have someone that went to UM....someone who has a bond with the school & is more committed to UM. More apt to stay longer. This guy would be a the bottom of my list.

Besides..............he's from East Landfill! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Bad choice right there! lol
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 8:20 am

I hope they hire from outside the UM family. I want all new blood.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 9:52 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I hope they hire from outside the UM family.  I want all new blood.

I just hope that if that happens that this time around they treat the new blood right. We don't need another RichRod situation. And that goes double for the fans.

GOBLUEJOE66

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 11:17 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:
I hope they hire from outside the UM family.  I want all new blood.

I just hope that if that happens that this time around they treat the new blood right. We don't need another RichRod situation. And that goes double for the fans.

In both situations (AD, HC) what I want more than anything else are the RIGHT people! I don't care if they attended/graduated/worked at/played/coached at UM. I just want UM to bring in the people that can get us back to relevancy in athletics. Will it take only "Michigan men" to get us back to that level? Ask Bama, LSU, MS State, Ga, Oklahoma....hell even UM basketball. I think they are all doing just fine. To me, they key for those coaches is that they "understand" the traditions and expectations of the university. A good example of that was John Cooper at O$U. Did a really good job as the HC, but he had NO CLUE what the UM/O$U means, so it eventually got him fired. We wanted him to stay forever.....but I digress!! LOL Guys, saying we need "Michigan men" just could put us in the same trap we are in today. I am not saying it is a good thing or a bad thing to be from within the UM family. We simply need the RIGHT people who have experience at the level that they are about to walk into!! Smile

Go Blue!! Smile
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 12:02 pm

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/528574016790224896
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 2:53 pm

http://www.nusports.com/school-bio/nw-athdir.html

very impressive resume.

on the flip side, this article is three years old but it makes it sound like there is no way he'd leave.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/6089

sandyeggo_blue

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 11:16 pm

pretty good article from today on AD breakdown

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2014/11/4/7155895/michigan-athletic-director-search-Warde-Manuel-Brad-Bates-Joe-Castiglione

GOBLUEJOE66

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks Sandy

I read the report and two things.

One....sure sounds like they should already have Brad Bates' name painted on the AD door, which is fine with me!! Smile

Second....if true, I am glad to see that the article implies that the new AD should be in place by the O$U game. Should bode well for the firing of Hoke and the search for a new coach.

Go Blue!! Smile

dwoody

dwoody

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 1:27 pm

I want an AD who can find and hire another Beilein.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 2:04 pm

dwoody wrote:

+1

wshoes

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 3:24 pm

dwoody wrote:

Bill Martin is tan, rested and ready.
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 3:48 pm

wshoes wrote:
dwoody wrote:

Bill Martin is tan, rested and ready.

just make sure Bill has a satellite phone this time
Back to top Go down
stjotoo

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Isn't Martin the same AD who hired Rich Rod after really not considering anyone else seriously (with pressure from Lloyd Carr)?

BOLEACH7

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 5:26 pm

stjotoo wrote:
Isn't Martin the same AD who hired Rich Rod after really not considering anyone else seriously (with pressure from Lloyd Carr)?

Mary Sue and Carr were in charge, poor Bill was but a puppet
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 5:57 pm

stjotoo wrote:

I was kidding about Bill Martin but Beilein and RR actually had things in common- both respected coaches with really good track records, both known for unconventional offenses and defenses, and of course both from W Va.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 7:02 pm

BOLEACH7 wrote:
stjotoo wrote:

Mary Sue and Carr were in charge, poor Bill was but a puppet

^^^exactly this^^^

it's well documented in 3 and Out

Good Choice For AD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Choice For AD   Good Choice For AD Empty

Back to top Go down

Good Choice For AD
Page 1 of 1