Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?

Go down 
+5
Admin
MGOBLUEBC
fishgoblue22
hailtoyourvictor
booboo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
booboo

booboo

search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? Empty
PostSubject: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 1:07 am

Been thinking about this search committee Jim Hackett wants to help with finding a new coach. Is this a way of having a back channel to Harbaugh or Miles? I would like to think there has been some kind of back channeling already going on.

Why do you need a committee to tell you Jim Harbaugh, Miles, John Harbaugh, Mullins, Stoops, Sumlin are the top choices. We already know that.

Or this is a way to keep Lloyd Carr and his supporters from somehow interfering or doing something stupid? That's the only thing I can think of. Is this a way Hackett is saying to Carr, thanks but no thanks, I have a group of people helping me with search, don't need your help. Of course he may say it more professionally than that.

Any opinions?

GO BLUE!!!
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:41 am

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/03/30/hired-guns-how-search-firms-are-changing-the-business-of-college-coaching/

“On The Clock, 24/7″

Athletic directors have many responsibilities that extend beyond hiring head coaches, so he or she cannot afford to travel the country meeting with every prospective candidate.

Dan Parker, who is President of Parker Executive Search in Atlanta, Georgia, notes that a search firm can work around the clock to put together extensive background checks. Parker says that his firm “tries to know as much as possible about a coach, from personality and past performance down to things like possible alcohol problems or criminal backgrounds.” More importantly, the firm can work around the clock during the actual searches, which must be completed in a matter of weeks.

Jed Hughes, of international search firm Korn/Ferry, says that searches are “lightning fast,” and that he is “on the clock 24/7 while on a search.” Bob Beaudine, CEO of Eastman & Beaudine and author of The Power of Who, calls the search process the “the craziest thing imaginable.” One example: Glenn Sugiyama arrived home from a search at nine o’clock on the night of New Year’s Eve, and he was on the road again by six o’clock the following morning to start another. His experience is a common one for the search experts who devote every waking hour to finding the best coach for the job. Athletic directors simply cannot keep up that sort of schedule.

Back to top Go down
booboo

booboo

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 3:20 am

Hail, thanks for info, makes sense. I wasn't thinking about things like background checks, criminal records, any skeletons in the closet, etc.

Informative article, thanks!

GO BLUE!!!
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 7:21 am

Yeah,that is a good read. I like hiring the firm. It does all that and gives the AD plausible deniability.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 8:56 am

That is interesting. Thanks, Hail.

I too like the idea of a search firm just for the simple reason as booboo stated.....to keep Carr's nose out of it.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 12:06 pm

I think the turn of the year must be pretty busy for A.Ds. Fall sports are just finishing up and Spring sports are either started or starting.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 12:33 pm

The idea of a search firm scares me a little bit.

What scares me about the use of a search firm is I have this uneasy feeling that most of these firms make their names on finding uncovered, or up-and-coming, talent.

I don't want another up-and-comer. I want a proven coach.

That all being said, I'm definitely a pessimist at heart so it could just be that side of me thinking this.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Admin wrote:
The idea of a search firm scares me a little bit.

What scares me about the use of a search firm is I have this uneasy feeling that most of these firms make their names on finding uncovered, or up-and-coming, talent.

That all being said, I'm definitely a pessimist at heart so it could just be that side of me thinking this.

That should be a criteria for the search, but they first need to agree as to what "proven coach" means.

Go Blue!! Smile
Back to top Go down
stjotoo

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I think Hackett's decision to hire a search firm is a good one. Think back to Brandon's committee of one (maybe two if you count Lloyd Carr), after claiming to have done a wide search came up with Brady Hoke, who probably was their first choice anyway. Given Hackett's relative inexperience in athletic administration, he appears to getting some thorough information about possible candidates through this search firm. Time is critical, especially now that the recruiting season is in full swing, and UM doesn't have the time to investigate all the backgrounds. I am sure that in the end the committee will present several names and Hackett will have the choice of "up and comers" and established coaches. His final decision will then be made.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 2:35 pm

My take on this, the head hunters can compile names based on the criteria and get to know if these guys are interested, without the school having to directly talk to them. That way it can stay quiet.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 pm

I also feel like the search committee does more than just puts a cute little list together. You don't pay $50,000 to do something Sandy could do for us in a couple days worth of research. I'd imagine (and this is speculation) that they go way more in depth than that. I'm talking like finding and presenting housing information, education opportunities (if the coach has a family), etc. Coaches are human and will wonder things like "where can we live?" and "will my kids get good schooling?". You pay the firm to handle that stuff because it makes the pitch a lot better.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Do you think Notre Dame used a search firm when they hired George O'Leary?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 8:51 pm

wshoes wrote:
Do  you think Notre Dame used a search firm when they hired George O'Leary?

No, bit they did when they hired Brian Kelly
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 10:11 pm

Interesting article on not hiring a search firm-

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/3/7326131/football-coach-hiring-firms-third-party-search
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?   search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent? Empty

Back to top Go down

search committee for new coach-yea/nay/indifferent?
Page 1 of 1