Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?

Go down 
+3
MGoMod2
fishgoblue22
Admin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  Empty
PostSubject: Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?    Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 pm

By new, I mainly mean the 3 new coaches in the conference: Leach, RR and Mora.

But, don't forget Utah and Colorado. Both of those teams can sneak up on you and beat you...although Boulder is nowhere near as difficult as it once was (why is that???).

I just want to see the conference balance out a little more. I'm sick of USC and Oregon owning that league. I think that conference really misses the success of ASU in the 90s and Washington's success throughout the 70s, 80s and early 90s.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?    Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:26 pm

I think Utah is not going to be as good as they have been. It is easy to dominate the Mountain West and then get up for one big bowl game, but to win consitantly in a good conference isn't easy.

RR at AZ is interesting. Is he going to go with his "lose big, lose close, win close, win big" attitude? If so, they are looking at a rough couple of years. Man, that is what really stuck out for me in Bacon's book. Expecting to lose for two years. What a crock of shit.

Anyway, I don't think Mora will do any better at UCLA then they have had. He is an average guy at a second rate football school. Will always be in USC shadow.

Leach is the X factor. He seems like a weird guy, but he has never had a losing season. Washington State has some history of being a QB school too.
Back to top Go down
MGoMod2

MGoMod2

PostSubject: Leach will win....   Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm

I am not so sure about the other 2.
Back to top Go down
1umgoblue85

1umgoblue85

PostSubject: Agree on Leach   Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:54 pm

He will win and adapt fairly quickly. I think the jury is out on RR.

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?    Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:22 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
...RR at AZ is interesting. Is he going to go with his "lose big, lose close, win close, win big" attitude? If so, they are looking at a rough couple of years. Man, that is what really stuck out for me in Bacon's book. Expecting to lose for two years. What a crock of shit.

just playing devils advocate but...

two things,

first AZ has stated that they are committed to RR for five years no matter what. That was certainly not the case at UM. The fans and tradition called for him to win now (as they should). It didn't happen, we figured out after year three that he wasn't the right fit. We moved on.

second, I read the bacon book. That philosophy that he got from a Bobby Bowden coaching camp about "lose big, lose close, win close, win big" wasn't necessarily a coaching strategy rather it was a guideline that a coach could reasonably expect when taking over a terrible team or transitioning a team into a new scheme. While I can't say that the UM talent was terrible in RR's first year, it sure wasn't great. I personally think that if RR would have made a move to seriously address the D UM may have skipped the "win close" phase in his last year and went strait to "Win big." Then who knows where we would be as a program right now.

one more thing about RR is that while the Pac12 does have a couple of tough teams, it's no B1G schedule he'll be running through.

JMO

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?    Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Agree, but Bowden went through his losing time way before the pressures of today. It is a antiquated approach and needs to be abandoned.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?    Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Rich Clod will do well at AZ. Don't forget, the PAC-12 doesn't have to play in Mid-Western Novembers. His first year or two may be rocky but after that I see them doing well.

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Washington State has some history of being a QB school too.

Ryan Leaf?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?    Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Wasn't Jack, um, Thompson or something like that from there?

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?    Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:

Rich Clod will do well at AZ. Don't forget, the PAC-12 doesn't have to play in Mid-Western Novembers. His first year or two may be rocky but after that I see them doing well.

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Washington State has some history of being a QB school too.

Ryan Leaf?

Don't disagree too much. Don't think they'll become perennial Pac-12 contenders necessarily, but could very easily become a consistent 8-9 win team with a couple 10s maybe every once in a while. Remember, the expectations at AZ isn't near what he had at Michigan, or even WVU. As bad as the Cats have been, 8-9 wins a season will make the administration happy for at least a few years while they try and patch back together a solid fan base. Let's also not forget, a little team called Oregon has proven that the spread offense can win, and win BIG, in the Pac-12.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?    Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Will the new Pac 12 balance out the power?
Page 1 of 1