Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
michmike

All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic... Empty
PostSubject: All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic...   All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic... EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 7:15 am

But before leaving our discussions on the DIAMOND sport, no doubt inspired by our team's spirited run to within a single victory of the CWS championship, I have to express astonishment at the latest "finding" of technology: the "escape" or "departure" velocity of a baseball off the bat (generally only given to us on home runs).

The average MAJOR LEAGUE e.v. is only 111 mph?  But a tennis serve from the Krygioses or Isners or Karlovics of the world is 135-140 mph??? Something doesn't jibe.

And in my opinion, the baseball velocity is LOW. I'd guess closer to 125 mph. Particularly with so many of today's pitcher's (allegedly) hitting 100 on the speedgun. I can tell you from experience that, given the average speeds (depending on the league and level) of fastballs and line drive hits, the latter are considerably MORE than 10-12 mph faster than the former...

I can believe the tennis serve is slightly faster (than a well-hit baseball): a physics course "Materials in Sports" I once heard about from my late father-in-law explained why. But 111 mph off the bat of major-league hitters definitely seems low.

Comments?

If none, comments on our recent FOOTBALL recruits?
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic...   All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic... EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 4:22 am

My "guess" (and that's all it really is) would be that it only seems faster to you as you were a pitcher (as was I) and that ball just seems to be coming back faster to you. For one we're only 55 or so feet from the hitter. Next we're not exactly in a receiving position at that point. Third, it's kind of unexpected. Admit it, as pitchers we were arrogant SOB's, we didn't think anyone could hit us.

Now back to football recruits. We did get a large haul recently which raised our team recruiting ranking to #6. Call me pessimistic but I'm preparing to lose some. For some odd reason I'm almost counting on the Hawaii kid to flip elsewhere. I know that he has family in Michigan but the weather, that will be a big point stressed by other coaches. Of course I may know nothing so I don't know.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic...   All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic... EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 10:29 am

michmike wrote:
But before leaving our discussions on the DIAMOND sport, no doubt inspired by our team's spirited run to within a single victory of the CWS championship, I have to express astonishment at the latest "finding" of technology: the "escape" or "departure" velocity of a baseball off the bat (generally only given to us on home runs).

The average MAJOR LEAGUE e.v. is only 111 mph?  But a tennis serve from the Krygioses or Isners or Karlovics of the world is 135-140 mph??? Something doesn't jibe.

And in my opinion, the baseball velocity is LOW. I'd guess closer to 125 mph. Particularly with so many of today's pitcher's (allegedly) hitting 100 on the speedgun. I can tell you from experience that, given the average speeds (depending on the league and level) of fastballs and line drive hits,  the latter are considerably MORE than 10-12 mph faster than the former...

I can believe the tennis serve is slightly faster (than a well-hit baseball): a physics course "Materials in Sports" I once heard about from my late father-in-law explained why. But 111 mph off the bat of major-league hitters definitely seems low.

Comments?

If none, comments on our recent FOOTBALL recruits?

Hey Mike, I think you vastly overestimate the "average" exit Velo.

Here's a clip from https://calltothepen.com/2019/02/27/mlb-true-exit-velocity/ Which says

To use Giancarlo Stanton as an example, his 93.7 mph exit velocity came on 406 batting contacts. 406 x 93.7 = 38,042.2. Stanton had 617 official at-bats. 38,042.2 / 617 = 61.7. That makes Stanton’s Exit Velocity Per At Bat 61.7 mph.
For point of reference, the average major league Exit Velocity Per At Bat is about 68 mph.

Your estimate could be average per home run but it's closer to 70 if you take all stats into consideration.

And now onto football....

joe

PostSubject: Re: All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic...   All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic... EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 10:44 am

Ok, that doesn't seem fair they would count walks against you.

But it does say Giancarlo Stanton at 93.7 counting only the times he hit the ball and I think he might have the h9ghest in the league.

PostSubject: Re: All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic...   All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic... EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 7:52 am

Joe, I was indeed talking about HOME RUNS---or at the least, HARD-HIT line drives...not "nubbers" off the end of the bat or handle, or balls not hit "right on the nose" on the "sweet" part of the bat.

Tell you what---let's see the "escape velocity" of the longest balls hit Monday night in the Home Run Derby.  If none of them reaches 120...assuming some balls are hit 450+ feet...I will have serious doubts about the accuracy of the technology measuring it.

After hearing that your hometown compatriot, Reilly Opelka (you also hail from St.Joseph, right?), served one at Wimby at 142 the other day, and Aussie headcase**  Nick Kyrgios topped it at 143...

**-sad headcase let me add; the guy/kid just OOZES raw talent. Wasting it thus far...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic...   All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic... Empty

Back to top Go down

All right, gents, time to return to the SIGNATURE topic...
Page 1 of 1