Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

No football this fall

Go down 
+2
BetterThansparty
dwoody
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dwoody

dwoody

No football this fall Empty
PostSubject: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 7:22 pm

Announcement tomorrow, per reports.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 1:00 am

No sports at all. Most likely.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 11:33 am

Damnit. Oh, well...
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 4:02 am

Well, it's still not official yet. But I wouldn't be shocked if it becomes official in a few hours.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
NCHawk

NCHawk

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyFri Aug 21, 2020 9:08 pm

...and for the first time in forever the Hawkeyes figured to have a very very good offense.

No football this fall 7poQj89Bgbqx6P5K8

https://images.app.goo.gl/7poQj89Bgbqx6P5K8

Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyFri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Yeah...this was gonna be Michigan’s year, too! They could have won it all with Milton getting the Heisman. Now, we’ll never know.

sandyeggo_blue and NCHawk like this post

Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 4:13 am

I heard that McGuffie was going to come back for another September Heisman.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

NCHawk likes this post

Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyWed Aug 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Bo 2.0 wrote:

Forcier had that september heisman. He was on the cover of SI IIRC

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyWed Aug 26, 2020 5:58 pm

McGuffie was good. Running behind an historically bad Michigan offensive line and way too many concussions did him in.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 1:50 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Bo 2.0 wrote:

Forcier had that september heisman. He was on the cover of SI IIRC

They both won it...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Sam did not have a big September. You must have him confused with someone else.

sandyeggo_blue likes this post

Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 4:55 pm

One good game v Notre Dame, 74 yds v Miami, less than 40 combined rushing v Utah (Aug) and Wisc.

sandyeggo_blue likes this post

Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 11:04 pm

wshoes wrote:

+1

Sam had a way better career at Rice than he had at Michigan but he never lived up to his recruiting hype. He was absolutely everything that RR was trying to put together at UM.

Someone above said that he ran behind a horrid UM O line and that is a very very fair statement. I know I'm going to get tore up for this but Sam was Christian McCaffrey a decade too soon. And that comparison isn't because they are both white. Sam had the moves but just couldn't put it together at UM for a lot of reasons (some out of his control).

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 11:31 pm

Steven Threet and Nick Sheridan were his QBs.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:15 am

dwoody wrote:
Steven Threet and Nick Sheridan were his QBs.

yes we know... don't remind us lol! lol! lol!

easy to see why Mallet jumped ship to arkansas

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:22 am

I was so excited to have Daryl Stonum and McGuffie that I completely overlooked Mike Martin and Patrick Omameh in that class. Also I was all in on Dan Oneil. So basically I missed so hard on just about every recruit in that class.

In my defense I was NEVER a fan of Cissoko.

Also I just had a good look back at the class and I realized that Roundtree and and Demens were in that class.

Just WOW!!!!!

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 11:10 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
wshoes wrote:

+1

Sam had a way better career at Rice than he had at Michigan but he never lived up to his recruiting hype. He was absolutely everything that RR was trying to put together at UM.

Someone above said that he ran behind a horrid UM O line and that is a very very fair statement. I know I'm going to get tore up for this but Sam was Christian McCaffrey a decade too soon. And that comparison isn't because they are both white. Sam had the moves but just couldn't put it together at UM for a lot of reasons (some out of his control).

Also we didn't know it at the time but it appears he had a couple of concussions in high school and another at UM.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 4:37 pm

wshoes wrote:

OK, I think that youtube frenzy must be my recollection.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
NCHawk

NCHawk

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm hopeful that they'll play before Christmas.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyMon Aug 31, 2020 3:34 am

NCHawk wrote:
I'm hopeful that they'll play before Christmas.

Don't count on it, although if they were to play this year theoretically a type of "bubble" could be created when there are not any classes in session. However I think that would be a risky move on trying to keep the football players with the "student-athlete" status. You'd think the universities would see that. Sure thy'd receive some revenue this year but fr less in the future...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyThu Sep 03, 2020 3:38 am

There's a lot of talk, but that's all it is. I don't see it happening. If it does great, as long as there are no negative consequences. However I can't see the B1G putting themselves in a risky position. Regardless it wouldn't be the same without fans.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 12:34 pm

Is the tide turning? There is an awful lot of buzz that we will have a slightly shortened fall football season after all.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 8:56 pm

+1

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyMon Sep 14, 2020 11:49 pm

wshoes wrote:
Is the tide turning? There is an awful lot of buzz that we will have a slightly shortened fall football season after all.

Sounds like it. I'm torn personally, on one hand I selfishly want it. On the other it isn't safe. Basing a decision to resume play on a successful week of play is irresponsible. You realize that it typically takes up to two weeks for positive cases to develop...

This also makes the B1G look like a joke. And if this turns out bad it'll look like an even bigger joke.

IMHO (which means nothing) any undefeated team other than ohio state has absolutely no shot of making the CFP. Personally I wouldn't even let ohio in with only 8 wins. They should just stick with the cancellation but they're not. I almost embarrassed to have received a degree from Michigan. Unless it comes out that Schlissel still voted to cancel the season, he may but he's going to be outnumbered.

Let's throw a hypothetical out there for discussion purposes. Say Michigan votes not to play but the rest of the B1G (at least 9 other schools) votes to play. What would happen if Schlissel won't let Michigan play? Harbaugh would have an aneurysm. What would the reaction from everyone else be?

Say we go undefeated this year, you know rival schools wouldn't count this year as a National Championship. It'd be '98 all over again, they'd only count it as maybe 2/3's as the regular season was only 8 games.

We actually can't go to the games (which wouldn't impact me too much as I only go to maybe 1 game, if any, a year). But even watching on TV would be different without a crowd. The NFL is piping in crowd noise, I don't see that going well at College games. There will be incidents.

Even with the reasons listed I'll again say that I selfishly want football. It won't be the same though.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 8:07 am

It would absolutely be a championship if we won, go back and review Big Ten history. There have been champions who played far fewer games and champions who didn't even play the same number of games as other teams.They all count.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyTue Sep 15, 2020 8:50 am

Champions*
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyWed Sep 16, 2020 7:17 am

dwoody wrote:
Champions*

No asterisk.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyWed Sep 16, 2020 8:18 am

Asterisk. The only good thing about an eight-game conference “season” would be if O$U is not on our schedule.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyWed Sep 16, 2020 1:47 pm

I thought you were older Woody. From 1970 and earlier 7 or fewer conference games were played. In many of those seasons, some teams played 7 conference games and others played 6. I've been perusing the record book and still can't find an asterisk.

Bo's first team in 1969, co-champions with OSU, 6-1 in conference.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall EmptyWed Sep 16, 2020 1:52 pm

As I recollect, seasons overall were shorter back then. An asterisk, just like any MLB statistics from this year.
We agree to disagree.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No football this fall   No football this fall Empty

Back to top Go down

No football this fall
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next