Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

McDonald’s AA team - THREE???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dwoody

dwoody

McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? Empty
PostSubject: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 9:31 pm

Unbelievable. 24 HS players are picked to this team. Three (3!!!) play for Juwan next year! Recruit, much???
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm

yep that was a bit surprising but it makes my heart smile for sure. It's nice to see the fruits of labor unfold before our eyes. More than anything I'd like to see Juwan and the program with continued success. I'd like to hear Michigan be mentioned in the "blue bloods" conversation 5 years from now.

The question moving forward is how will Juwan handle the attrition. This team is a upperclassmen heavy team and I think that plays a major role in the success. Last year with X and Teske also.

What happens when Livers and Franz and Smith and Brown and Brooks are gone.

The attrition will trickle down to the coaches also. For the life of me I still can't understand how Saddi isn't a HC somewhere.

Recruit and reload doesn't always translate to success but if Juwan can keep a few keys players around for a couple of years and continue to hit the transfer portal I think UM basketball will be a force to be reckoned with for quite some time.

Win a natty and there's no telling what the future holds.

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2021 9:55 am

As I understand it everyone gets another year of eligibility because of covid.

Any chance at all that Smith or Brooks comes back? I believe it is possible.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2021 12:42 pm

And Brown? Intriguing.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2021 3:48 pm

dwoody wrote:
And Brown? Intriguing.

Pretty sure that's what I heard.

But I think they still have to obey some sort of schollie limits.

We've got at least 5 guys coming in next year. Maybe 6. Gotta make room for them.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2021 7:53 pm

I did some research. This is a free year, eligibility-wise.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2021 9:29 pm

dwoody wrote:
I did some research. This is a free year, eligibility-wise.

Question just to clarify.... Does that also mean that the two 5th year players Mike Smith and Austin Davis will be eligible for a 6th year?

Juwan is going to have to take a hard look at the numbers this offseason because if Austin and Mike and Chaundee and Brooks want to come back then I just can't see him turning any of them away.

The NCAA allows 13 scholarship players. Those are currently:

Davis - 5th
Smith - 5th
Livers - SR
Brooks - SR
Brown - SR
Johns - JR
Nunez - JR
Wagner - SO
Dickinson - FR
Williams - FR
Jackson- FR
Howard - FR

My guess is that the following leave:

Livers
Dickinson
Wagner

I also think that Johns Jr and Brown can be guys that get some attention from overseas teams or be lured to the G league.

Best guess is the following come back next year and we gain the following scholarship recruits:

Davis - 6th (eligibility pending)
Smith - 6th (eligibility pending)
Brooks - 5th
Brown - 5th
Johns - SR
Nunez - SR
Williams - SO
Jackson- SO
Howard - SO (already known to be moving to non scholarship)
Barnes - FR (incoming)
Schetter - FR (incoming)
Burfkin - FR (incoming)
Collins - FR (incoming)
Houstan - FR (incoming)
Diabate - FR (incoming)

So that is 14 (one over the limit) so someone is going to have to leave or move to non scholarship. My guess is that if Juwan had to pick between the two 6th year players he would keep Smith.

Last edited by sandyeggo_blue on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2021 10:42 pm

Dickinson? Really? Already?
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 am

Very good commentary on Woody's discovery (re: eligibility and this COVID year), Sandy.

Your last sentence, regarding who coach JH would keep if having to choose between Smith and Davis, is a very, very GOOD "guess"!  Austin has been a great influence on the team's chemistry and assumed a leadership role to boot, as well as contributing very vital minutes (and baskets) off the bench.

But let's cut to the chase: PG is the most important position on the court, and mighty-mite Mike has been THE EQUAL OF ANY we've had in a long time...including Trey Burke and Zavier Simpson; whether moving the ball, dishing out assists, running the court, or hitting timely threes. He just seems such a perfect fit for this offense---though it will admittedly be a different set of starters and subs next year.

sandyeggo_blue likes this post

Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2021 11:02 am

dwoody wrote:
Dickinson? Really? Already?

yea I hope he stays for another year but you just never know these days.

Hypothetically Hunter plays well the rest of the way out. He holds his own against Garza. He averages a double double in the B1G tourney. He's B1G freshman of the year. Mich makes a deep tourney run and maybe he's the sole reason they win a close one. Next thing you know the scouts have him late first round or maybe even a lottery pick.

Just think McGary minus the positive test.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 am

michmike wrote:
...But let's cut to the chase: PG is the most important position on the court, and mighty-mite Mike has been THE EQUAL OF ANY we've had in a long time...including Trey Burke and Zavier Simpson; whether moving the ball, dishing out assists, running the court, or hitting timely threes. He just seems such a perfect fit for this offense---though it will admittedly be a different set of starters and subs next year...

+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McDonald’s AA team - THREE???   McDonald’s AA team - THREE??? Empty

Back to top Go down

McDonald’s AA team - THREE???
Page 1 of 1