Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Bill O'Brien

Go down 
+2
BetterThansparty
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

OT: Bill O'Brien Empty
PostSubject: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:02 pm

beginning April 30th, Penn State head coaches will be on an 18-stop Alumni tour, and football coach Bill O'Brien will be at all 18 stops.

Give credit where it is due.

Perhaps O'Brien took a page out of the "How NOT to Be Like Rich Rodriguez at Michigan" book?

PSU alumni should give this guy a chance. Between the recruiting class he's working on right now and his commitment to getting out and meeting former students, players, etc., he deserves a fair shot.

But let's still kick his ass on the field.

Go Blue
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:40 pm

...starting in 2013 that is.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 8:27 am

Not "OT", Addy. Anything pertaining to Michigan football, however indirectly, is definitely on-topic. And a past, and regular future, opponent (and conference co-inhabitant) is definitely pertinent to U-M football...eh?

Good to hear a generally-clean outfit like PSU (football and otherwise) is doing its best to move beyond the
morass of the Jerry Sandusky era---the right way (unlike a certain school which also fired its coach within
the past year). But as you say, let's just build on that 10-6 record with them, whether or not it means starting another 9-game streak.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am

It's funny you said that mike, I debates putting the 'OT' or not as I wrote the post lol.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 am

Yep, and I debateD whether or not to correct your typo...but stupidly, decided to waste the keystrokes to do so...hehe!
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 9:38 am

If he works to the strengths of the players he has, then he will have already avoided pulling a RichRod.

That tour by O'Brien sounds noble but it's sad that he even has to organize one. The majority of Nittany Lion nation is not going to like him simply because he's not JoePa.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 10:05 am

WolverineHistorian wrote:
That tour by O'Brien sounds noble but it's sad that he even has to organize one. The majority of Nittany Lion nation is not going to like him simply because he's not JoePa.

I disagree. I think the PSU nation will get behind him if he wins early. I think a lot of people, fans, were ready for JoPa to go. I think a lot of former players will be cool toward him in the beginning, but will come around. It helps the way that JoPa's time ended.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 10:51 am

If he works to the strengths of the players he has, then he will have already avoided pulling a RichRod.

Avoiding a Rich Rod is one thing but can he avoid pulling a Charlie Weiss. I am still interested to see if he can WIN.

fishgoblue22 wrote:

I disagree. I think the PSU nation will get behind him if he wins early. I think a lot of people, fans, were ready for JoPa to go. I think a lot of former players will be cool toward him in the beginning, but will come around. It helps the way that JoPa's time ended.

You're both right. Winning cures all. Fan bases will vehemently defend coaches that win even in the face of scandal. See-Joe Pa/The Vest, etc. Rich Rod's problem (there were several others) that he was not winning.

That said, it is clear Obrien does not have the alum and fan base in his corner currently. He will need to win to earn their backing. TO steal from the movie Gladiator "I was not the best because I killed quickly. I was the best because the crowd loved me. Win the crowd and you will win your freedom."
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 am

Always got to love it when you can slip in a Gladiator quote.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 2:47 pm

I had a big smile on my face as I was typing it. It was perfect for the occasion too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Bill O'Brien   OT: Bill O'Brien Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Bill O'Brien
Page 1 of 1