Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Re: Rutgers and Maryland...

Go down 
+5
fishgoblue22
the artist formally known
BetterThansparty
Admin
Go_Blue
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Go_Blue

Go_Blue

Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 9:01 am

I really hope this thing doesn't go through. Adding 2 patsies to an already weak B1G will not help matters. And my biggest gripe would be Maryland and those God-awful helmets and uniforms. I really can't stand all the uniform changes. I guess I'm just getting old.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 am

I agree.

This move wouldn't add much value to the conference, other than more TV sets.

Not a good move, IMHO.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 10:43 pm

I realize that you're making you decisions based solely on football (and if that was the only consideration your views would be warranted) but adding those 2 universities would be a good thing for the B1G TEN as a whole. Both Rutgers and Maryland are outstanding academic universities, Rutgers moreso. Rutgers would almost automatically go to #3 in the conference for academics (behing Northwestern and UM) while Maryland would be "somewhere" within the 4-6 range. Adding those two schools would add more of an East Coast presence for the conference with means more money, more students, more resources, and better pretty much everything (well maybe not football). Maryland has a fairly good bouncy-ball Basketball program (for those of you who care about that). And even though th quality of the Football may not drastically, or at all, improve it would help solidify the B1G TEN as a conference that isn't going anywhere unlike the Big East.

I do agree with you Go_Blue on the utter hideous nature of Maryland's uniforms. IMO there should nbe a clause in any agreement that states Maryland must change out of those atrocities...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 am

personally I like the move I think Maryland adds to the Basketball part of the conference . will also give us a East coast, and Eastern recruiting in. I think the Big might even help these schools recruiting, which would make them better. I mean what has Indiana and Minny done in football lately, yet in Basketball they are a potent force. I say bring them on. I would have like Maryland and Missouri better, but what the heck.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Maryland approves move.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/71795/maryland-regents-approve-big-ten-move
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Ready or not here they come. Go Big 10 errr...11..I mean 12 soon to be 14.
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Hate this.

Just keep adding more teams to the conference that we'll never play.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:52 pm

I love it. Brings the DC market, brings a lot academically, brings a decent basketball program to the table. It's a win if you ask me. Add Rutgers and the NY market. It's all good.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Perhaps so, WH, but I have to concede artist's point as well: the added recruiting advantage on the Middle Atlantic region: kids who really want to
play in front of their families and old buddies will now have the option of playing for a higher-caliber program (ours) and still make a trip twice to
the Balto-Wash area (even though as you say we won't play Maryland every year).

And heck, look at all the top-notch recruits and players we already have, or have had, from this (Baltimore) area: from the 90's (Matt Dyson and Dhani Jones were two of our all-time best LBs), to today (Countess, Poggi, Furman, no doubt a few I can't think of OTTOMH).
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 4:36 pm

And michmik, don't forget your name-sake Mike Hart who was from Syracuse, New York. Oh yea, knowing how the Divisions are lined-up (M's, N's, and Iowa that way it's easy to remember for fans) I think Maryland goes to the Legends and Rutgers to the Leaders. That makes no logical sense but then again, it does...

I know not many people here care much but that also opens an avenue for Hockey recuiting. The Eat Coast has a lot of talent and with the B1G Ten HOCKEY CONFERENCE next year that's another benefit, of course I highly doubt that was considered...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
booboo

booboo

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Bo, I thought I read earlier today on ESPN.com, Maryland president said, they & Rutgers to leaders, Illinois switches to legends. Going to see if I find article
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 pm

I've seen that rumored everywhere but I've seen no confirmation yet. In fact I've only seen confirmation of Maryland to the B1G, nothing about Rutgers.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
booboo

booboo

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:19 am

I found article on ESPN.com, Loh, UM president, told board of regents they & Rutgers to leaders. But like you said nothing official. Supposely Rutgers makes it official tomorrow. Sounds like done deal.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:39 am

Never said that I doubted it.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:10 am

Here's an article on Maryland (and casually mentions Rutgers) from The Daily:

http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/maryland-accepts-invitation-big-ten-rutgers-expected-follow-suit?page=0,0

Evidently the Maryland students aren't too thrilled about the move...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Rutgers and Maryland...   Re:  Rutgers and Maryland... Empty

Back to top Go down

Re: Rutgers and Maryland...
Page 1 of 1