Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Let the debate begin

Go down 
+5
GOBLUEJOE66
hailtoyourvictor
fishgoblue22
WillieMfan
sandyeggo_blue
9 posters
AuthorMessage
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Let the debate begin Empty
PostSubject: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:36 am

Is Green the most important recruit UM has landed in the last 10 years.

In hindsight we can say it might have been Martin or Robinson (given what they did for the team when they got here) but let's talk just about expectations coming into college.

I can't think of a higher rated prospect than Green. Watson, Will C., Slocumb, Woodley, Grady?? Those guys all came with 5 stars and all of the hype and expectations.

The moment Green put on that hat and jersey he shouldered the high expectations of the wolverine fan base.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 am

I am probably in the minority but I am not as big on this commitment as others. Don't get me wrong, he is a huge pick up for Hoke. That said I think he is only one piece of the puzzle and it's a big puzzle. It's not like in basketball where one stud player can vary a team. He need's blocking and a passing threat to open up the running game.

I think the other thing that is lost in all this is the fact we have two other rb's in this class. Many are pretty high on Deveon Smith. I feel bad for those guys because if you listen to the fan chatter they basically do not exist.

Green's commitment was huge. He looks to be a 4 year starter type, if he stays for 4 years. Still we need to see what our young line looks like. We finally get to see if his o-line recruiting efforts pay off. I believe that is as big as the commitment of Green.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 pm

I don't feel sorry for the other two RB commits. You come to UM to compete for PT, Green will increase the competition. Hart was a lower rated recruit than Martin when he got here, but through completion, he became the man.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Once again you misread my comment. My sympathy is not because they have to compete. That is a given. My sympathy is because 95% of fans don't realize we have other recruit rb's and are in this Green or bust mentality. I think Smith will be a pleasant surprise to most.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
...I think Smith will be a pleasant surprise to most...

Yep. I've been feeling that for while.
Back to top Go down
hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

An interesting note is that while Rivals and Scout have Green as the #1 overall RB, 247sports has him at 8th and ESPN has him at 5th.

I think the most important recruit in the past 10 years was Ryan Mallet. The #2 quarterback and 4th overall rated player according to Rival. Michigan was getting a strong armed 5-star stud QB from Texas.

Actually, I don't consider the two situations even that close. The big difference is that in the past 5 years, recruiting coverage has really boomed.
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Just my opinion, but me thinks that we (UM fans) need to dial back a bit on the thoughts and expectations for Green. Yes, great land by the coaching staff, but he isn't even in AA yet, so let's celebrate his choice, but let's not put the Heisman in his living room just yet. Smile

Go Blue!! Smile
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 6:38 pm

GOBLUEJOE66 wrote:
Just my opinion, but me thinks that we (UM fans) need to dial back a bit on the thoughts and expectations for Green. Yes, great land by the coaching staff, but he isn't even in AA yet, so let's celebrate his choice, but let's not put the Heisman in his living room just yet. Smile

Go Blue!! Smile

So do you think the congratulatory card I just bought him today was probably a bit premature?
Back to top Go down
GOBLUEJOE66

GOBLUEJOE66

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Nah....it's actually a good idea as you will probably get an autograph from the next UM Heisman winner!! LOL Smile

Go Blue!! Smile
Back to top Go down
EJinGA

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:05 am

Reading this makes me understand, at least in part, why these kids go to Alabama. If they go there, they're just another top recruit and the expectations are spread out. A guy like Green, who picks Michigan, has far more pressure than most of these stud recruits.

The kid picks Blue, and all of a sudden he seen as a savior by some.
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:34 am

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
GOBLUEJOE66 wrote:

Go Blue!! Smile

So do you think the congratulatory card I just bought him today was probably a bit premature?

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

That's some funny shite right there sandy!
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:44 am

In the last 5 years, fer damn sure.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am

I don't see him as a savior, by any means, but he is by far the biggest get for this current coaching staff.

If Hoke and Borges are truly going to make the full switch to a pro-style, a running back like Green was a MUST (although, as I type that, I think Smith fits that mold the same way).

The other biggest gets for this coaching staff? The 10 stud o-linemen who are going to pave the way for Green & Co. to the endzone.

Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 am

But in a larger context, Green is the highest rated running back we've picked up since.....wait for it.....JUSTIN FARGAS.

Ha.

I can't help but laugh a bit at how overrated he was. (Yes, I know he went on to have a stint in the NFL.)

But truly, Green is the best RB to commit since Anthony Thomas.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 am

I think Fargas would have been a great RB at UM if not for the ankle/leg break returning a kick. He never really regained his cutting ability. Tried to come back at a DB at UM. Played a little there. Was told by Lloyd that he wasn't in the RB plans going forward, transferred to USC, had a decent couple years and went to the NFL.

I don't think he was ever overrated, I think his injury derailed what might have been a great back.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:38 pm

A very ugly injury by the way.

It was similar to what happened to Fitz this year.

I'm figuring Fitz is probably done with football.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:40 pm

And BTW, Fargus came to us as a speedster. But I saw him in Evanston in the biggest deluge I have ever been in for a game.

He ran in the mud and the mire for something like 107 or 127 yards. He was a HORSE that game.

2-3 weeks later I watched him lay on the ground at Michigan Stadium his Michigan career over (for all intents and purposes.).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let the debate begin   Let the debate begin Empty

Back to top Go down

Let the debate begin
Page 1 of 1