Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug

Go down 
+2
sandyeggo_blue
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Empty
PostSubject: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm purchasing the jug this week.

Won't be the exact same size.

The 5 gallon Red Wing jugs (what the original is) are....expensive.

I'm opting for a 3 gallon version. The original stands roughly 15 inches high, about 12 inches wide at the base. The one I'm purchasing is roughly 12 inches high and 9 inches wide.

Most of the replicas I've come across, specifically on MVictors.com, are smaller than the original. Greg over at MVictors is going to put me in contact with some of the others who have created replicas so that I can ask them some questions about the details (specifically about the columns).

I'll certainly post photos of the finished project, perhaps some photos of the process.

My hope is to have it done by Oct. 5 so that I can bring it up to AA for the Minnesota tailgate.

I need this. I need something, anything, to keep my mind off what I've seen over the past two weeks. A bye week and a highly-detailed project sound like the perfect solution.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Thankfully I have two of those little hobbies that are going to keep me occupied and my mind off of the past two weeks. My 4 and 2 yr olds, Andrew and Matthew. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Haha!!
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Copyright infringement!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 11:31 pm

They had the lady that actually does the painting of the jug on WTKA last week.

She was pretty interesting. She's been painting it for years.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am

UPDATE:

I have purchased a crock jug:

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Captur12

This puppy stands about 13" high and the diameter of the base is rougly 9.5".

It's a little smaller than the original jug (which runs about 15"x12"), but the 5-gallon Red Wing jugs from around the turn of the century are just too damn expensive.

I was lucky enough to come across this one after about 10 hours of both online and in-person searching here in Chicago (local antique shops, etc.).

Greg, from MVictors, has put me in contact with two other folks who have undertaken this project. They've already reached out to me this morning with some excellent tips/advice.

I'm going to pick up the jug this evening, as well as all the paint, primer, brushes, etc.

This is going to be an extremely intense labor of love. The goal is to focus all attention/efforts on this over the next couple weeks and have it ready for show on October 5th, when I attend the Minny game.

If the jug is complete by then, I'll bring it up to the game for the tailgate to show off to fellow Meeeeechigan fans.

I'm beyond excited to get started.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 am

Step 1 complete, jug purchased/secured:

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Photo11

Step 2 complete: purchased/applied epoxy putty to repair a slight chip in the spout

Tonight will be Step 3: adding a couple layers of industrial primer (XIM) to this bad boy.

Tomorrow night the real work begins: laying down the first coats of blue and maroon paint.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:57 am

Just seeing the jug has me excited to see this progress. If this goes well, you could have a side business admin.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 11:15 am

LOL!

I talked at length last night with Mark Foster, who was 'profiled' by Greg over at MVictors.

Mark has created four jugs so far, and has sold two of them to UM collector buddies.

He also spent a year recreating the trunk that the jug rests in. I won't echo the amount he spent, but suffice it to say it cost him more than a pair of season tickets do these days (including the required minimum donation). It also took him over a year to complete. The athletic department and Jon Falk were gracious enough to let Mark go in and take pictures of the original trunk.

Here's Mark's 5-gallon jug replica and his replica trunk: http://mvictors.com/?p=108302
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 am

Dude, that is cool.  I wish I had the time, talent and patients to do something like that.  I can't wait to see pictures as you progress along.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 am

Not a fancy step, but the first two coats of primer of been laid down:

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Photo12
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Admin wrote:
Not a fancy step, but the first two coats of primer of been laid down:

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Photo12
Like a carb packed dinner before a big night of drinking, the key to success is a solid foundation.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 12:11 am

How's the Jug coming?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Progression:

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Image12

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Image_18

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Image_19
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 3:23 pm

I don't know why they are sideways. I just tried twice. The files themselves aren't rotated like that.

Oh well, you get the point.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptySun Sep 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks a lot Admin, now I have a strained neck...
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Look at what I just made:

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Brownj10
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:48 am

Progress update:

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug 111

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug 210

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug 410

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug 310
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:03 pm

That looks awesome.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Very Very Cool Admin!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Joe, I won't have it completely done by Saturday, but I'll probably bring it up anyway to put on display.

Think The Mayor will get a kick out of it?
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 2:08 pm

Admin wrote:
Joe, I won't have it completely done by Saturday, but I'll probably bring it up anyway to put on display.
It won't be done by Saturday? What? That's a travashamockery! That is very irresponsible, you were contracted (by yourself) to supply the replica Jug for the tailgate. I'm starting to wonder if I can believe a word you say anymore...Razz 
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: The mayor   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Admin wrote:

Think The Mayor will get a kick out of it?
and Doc will love it!

You gonna have anything in it? lol
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Haha, no, nothing will be in it.

2nd...I did plan to have it done, but I forgot that was I was going to be out of town the first three days this week. I spent Monday-Wednesday up in Kohler, WI, playing Whistling Straits.

I live a rough life.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Where are your priorities young man? I tell ya, kids these days...
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 1:47 am

More on The Jug that you were too lazy to finish...

http://www.michigandaily.com/node/74130

Jug history at forefront of Michigan's preparation for Big Ten opener

By Liz Vukelich, Daily Sports Editor
Published October 3, 2013

Jeremy Gallon says that after practice, the seniors always emphasize that the Michigan football team needs to play like something is on the line — like a trophy or a Big Ten championship.

Come Saturday, the Wolverines will be playing for both.

Michigan (4-0) opens conference play against Minnesota (0-1 Big Ten, 4-1 overall) to start its hunt for a conference championship. But there’s a more short-term reward at stake.

Minnesota is not much of a Michigan rival, and the all-time series isn’t very close — the Wolverines have a lopsided 72-24-3 record against the Golden Gophers. Despite all that, there’s still a reason the Minnesota game is always circled on the Wolverines’ calendar. There’s the Little Brown Jug to protect, after all.

Last Sunday marked the official end of the bye and the start of Minnesota week. Michigan coach Brady Hoke started the team meeting with an explanation of the Jug: its origins, its history, its significance, going back to its first appearance in the 1903 game. Twenty-six members of the 114-man roster come from outside Big Ten country, and Hoke wanted to make sure each one of them was as Jug-literate as their teammates who came to Michigan already familiar with the matchup.

Longtime equipment manager Jon Falk, the man responsible for keeping the Jug safe, also contributed to the players’ education — he opened Tuesday’s practice with a speech on the trophy’s value.

The Wolverines have won the last five matchups with the Golden Gophers, and that’s one thing about the Jug that Hoke tried to emphasize above all else: “You don’t want them to come over to your sideline and take it back.”

Not a practice, meeting or moment went by this week when the Jug wasn’t brought up. There are reminders on the walls. The message is impossible to ignore.

“I do believe that those games that you have the privilege to play in (are important) because of the history and tradition that’s been there,” Hoke said.

But for as much as Michigan talks about tradition and pride, there’s still a much more pressing matter at hand. The jury is still out on which team — the one that beat Notre Dame or the one that barely squeaked by Akron and Connecticut — will show up Saturday.

Redshirt junior Devin Gardner made his quarterback debut against Minnesota last season. Even though he notched his first interception, he still threw for an impressive 234 yards.

Gardner’s decision-making abilities have since been at the forefront of discussion over the past few weeks, despite a plethora of other issues plaguing the Wolverines. Hoke already shuffled up the interior line and expects to see a well-rounded Minnesota squad in Michigan Stadium.

“They’re going to be a physical football team because that’s the way (Minnesota coach Jerry Kill) wants his teams on both sides of the ball,” Hoke said. “From a defensive perspective, I think they’re pretty doggone salty. Offensively, they want to run the football.”

Hoke handily beat the Golden Gophers, 58-0, in 2011 — both his and Kill’s inaugural season as head of their respective programs. Even though the margin of victory narrowed to 35-13 in 2012, no current Wolverine knows what it’s like to lose the Jug.

Minnesota may not be Michigan’s marquee matchup of the season, but Gallon still had difficulty putting what the game means into words.

“Celebrating with your teammates, playing for something other than yourself … it means a lot to me and my team,” Gallon said. “Just knowing that the Jug, that trophy, is coming back home to you.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug   I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm making a replica Little Brown Jug
Page 1 of 1