Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.

Go down 
+3
joe
flabluefan1
Admin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  Empty
PostSubject: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Our receivers coach for years, who is now out in Iowa City.

Every time I see him in the Black and Gold I cringe thinking of how RR did not retain him.

Look, I don't know enough about our current WR coach to bash him (Hecklinski, who is also our recruiting coordinator I believe), but Campbell was a hell of a coach.

Sure, we recruited some top-tier talent, but Campbell got the most out of ALL his WRs.

Marcus Knight, anyone?

DJK or Marvin McNutt, anyone?

(These are guys that, I feel, really benefited from EC, and probably wouldn't have been nearly as good without him.)

Oh, and as I type this, I come across an article debating whether or not he should be named Iowa's OC (probably won't be, but still).

I wish there was some way we could bring him back home without shitting on Hecklinski.

flabluefan1

PostSubject: have to disagree somewhat.   We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 4:47 pm

I've met Eric several times both as a UM coach and an Iowa coach Nice guy good recruiter Kids love him, BUT IMO not a sound WO coach. I'm biased since I played the position but his wos had basic flaws that never improved. Bellamy and Breaston stand out in my mind but there were others. Bad routes not sharp no solid plants and cuts and bad emerging from the routes getting the head around to see the ball. Plus no separation from the db. All of this is coached technique which Eric never imparted to these guys and many others. Recall he was a db at UM most of his career. When you see Breaston now in the NFL someone has taught him how to run a proper route and get separation.

Not saying Heck is any better. The current UM offense requires good route running and getting saparation. Neither Roundtree nor Gallon do either very well. Nor did Junior. A lot of DR's struggles were due to his wos not getting open. Our wos need to learn to read zone vs man more quickly and then to find the hole in the zone or get separation from the db in man so DR can get them the ball. UM relied way toomuch on the wos out jumping the dbs for the ball. I wasn't that happy with Heck's comments about our new kids being able to out muscle the db for the ball. While that's fine its better to be open and not have to out muscle the db.

My two cents.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:02 pm

Spoken like a true ex-WR! lol

hailtrueblue

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 5:09 pm

It seemed that every year Michigan would replace a #1, NFL ready, WR with another one. For the past few years I have been hoping Stonum would be the next great Michigan WR. Even when he was playing, though, Stonum lacked that star power that Terrell, Edwards, or Manningham had.

In fact, if you look at our 2nd tier WRs of the pre-RR days, I like them better than any WR we have had come through. Breaston, Avant, Arrington.

- Muhammad Ali
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:00 am

Interesting take, FBF---and having never played organized football, I'll certainly defer to an expert on the subject who not only did, but played the position in question here.

I really like our incoming crop, and have been impressed with Roundtree
(if he'd get more balls thrown his way this coming year!) and at times with Gallon, but I'm concerned about the absence of a big, dominating, fear-nothing/no one, go-up-and-get-any-humanly-catchable-ball like Mr. Hemingway. From what I've read, and seeing his size, Darboh might fill that role, but replacing a senior with a true frosh is never a "plug-in" proposition.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 am

The problem is Roundtree and Gallon are both slot guys IMHO. Roundtree seemed uncomfortable on the outside. He needs to learn to run better routes.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:50 am

I agree with both you and FBF1's "Have to disagree somewhat" comment above. While RR and JG made some BIG catches (esp. ND game) last season, I'm almost wondering if the lack of true separation ability you both mention isn't why Roy all but disappeared (at least in comparison to RichRod's last season) in 2011.

And I certainly have to agree that, even if you have David Terrell's 6-3 height and hands, and Junior Hemingway's determination, it's FAR, FAR better to be open to catch a pass uncontested than to (have to/try to) outfight DB's in a crowd for the ball.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:13 pm

michmike wrote:
Interesting take, FBF---and having never played organized football, I'll certainly defer to an expert on the subject who not only did, but played the position in question here.

I really like our incoming crop, and have been impressed with Roundtree
(if he'd get more balls thrown his way this coming year!) and at times with Gallon, but I'm concerned about the absence of a big, dominating, fear-nothing/no one, go-up-and-get-any-humanly-catchable-ball like Mr. Hemingway. From what I've read, and seeing his size, Darboh might fill that role, but replacing a senior with a true frosh is never a "plug-in" proposition.

I played Flag-football, but never tackle because my Mother was afraid that I'd get hurt. That's when I began another sport that was deemed "less dangerous". Well, that didn't work-out and here I am today.

Don't forget, Manningham was a Freshman and a reliable WR. But I see your point about having a Braylon/Terrel/CJ type of WR. We don't have that yet at Michigan right now, but it is coming. Rome wasn't built in day....

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:23 pm

Rome has been built. The foundation by Chrisler and Yost. The supports, walls, etc by Bo. And Lloyd put the grande roof on in 97.

Ok, I'm stretching.

We're just still working our way back from the RR era/players. Hard to remember we're just 1 season removed from that.

ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Exactly, but you must equate Rich Clod to Hitler....

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.    We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.  Empty

Back to top Go down

We are missing Erik Campbell, IMHO.
Page 1 of 1