Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tremendous and Erik Magnuson....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Tremendous and Erik Magnuson.... Empty
PostSubject: Tremendous and Erik Magnuson....   Tremendous and Erik Magnuson.... EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 7:22 pm

sounds like a good kid:

A while ago, I talked to OT Erik Magnuson about his commitment to Michigan among other things, and you can tell he's already bleeding Maize and Blue. As I said before, this conversation took place a while ago, but it's still great insight into someone who should contribute at a high level for Michigan in the future:

Tremendous: My first question as always: Why Michigan?

Erik: It really came down to my great relationship with Coach Hoke and his staff from San Diego State and the great tradition of Michigan itself. The fans had a lot to do with it as well. I wanted to go somewhere where people really care about football and Michigan is that and much much more.

Tremendous: How excited are you to play with such a solid offensive line class?

Erik: It's going to be great. I have good relationships with most of the guys (he mentioned Kalis specifically) and have been in contact with all the commits. The excitement is really building within our class, the fans and pretty much everyone involved in the program.

Tremendous: Give me some strengths and weaknesses as far as your game is concerned.

Erik: My strengths revolve around my speed and quickness, my football IQ, my intensity and just my love for the game. Most of my weaknesses stem from a lack of technique but they are little fundamental things that will fade away over time as I get good coaching.

Tremendous: Has there been any talk of moving you inside?

Erik: They have said I am going to be the left tackle of the future, but as you know Taylor Lewan still has two years at the position, so if I would have to change positions to get on the field earlier and help the team, I'd be more than willing.

Tremendous: I only ask because in the Army All-American game, you played a lot inside.

Erik (laughs): That was actually my first time playing guard. I think I played pretty well considering the circumstances. I wasn't clean in all aspects of the game, but that tends to happen when you're new at a position and are playing against the best in the country.

Tremendous: Why did they put you inside?

Erik: We had injuries, plain and simple. We were down to only six OL, and (USC commit) Zach Banner can't play guard, so (USC commit) Max Tuerk and I offered to play inside. It was actually a great learning experience that might help me get on the field sooner at Michigan.

Tremendous: Who are some of the NFL types that you like to model yourself after?

Erik: I like to take things from a bunch of different pros to form my own game. I really like to watch a lot of Jake Long, Joe Thomas and Ryan Clady specifically. They are the best at what they do.

Tremendous: Being a California kid, what are you most looking forward to in coming out East? Are you ready to deal with winters?

Erik: I am really looking forward to getting out and trying something new. I have lived in the same city my whole life; I am ready for a change. I'm sure the weather is going to be rough on me for a while, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's not something I've really thought about.

Tremendous: What was it like to cope with the pressures of being a highly touted recruit? Everybody seems to handle it differently.

Erik: For the most part, I loved it (laughs). It was a little frustrating at times, but I realized that it only happens once so I did what I could to make the most of it. It's not often that an offensive lineman like myself gets the limelight so overall it was pretty awesome (laughs). I really could have never dreamed for all of this to come true. I have been very blessed.

Tremendous: What did the frustration come from?

Erik: It was just the constant calls and emails that became a little overwhelming after a while. It really mellowed out quickly after I committed though.

Tremendous: Ohio.

Erik (laughs): What about them? I really have learned to hate them already. I am excited to be a part of something as special as the rivalry though. Just from going to the game this year and having their fans constantly talking to me on Twitter has me really pumped up. There's nothing like that on the West Coast.

Tremendous: In studying your game, one thing that is noticeable is the way you tend to play with a mean streak. How does that define your game? Do you have to make an effort to balance anger and smarts in order to avoid unnecessary penalties?

Erik: I definitely have to control myself at times. Sometimes I get so worked up that I completely lose focus. I would say, however, that I have improved my ability to focus a lot in the last couple seasons. I know that my style of play is still going to lead to penalties sometimes but I have learned to control my temper for the most part. It's something I still need to improve on though.

Tremendous: Can coaching improve that or is it something you feel like you'll need to work on yourself?

Erik: I think it's something I need to figure out within. Coaching can only take you so far in the mental aspect of the game. It's something I am going to have to concentrate to improve upon.

Erik should thrive under the tutelage of Taylor Lewan and the coaching staff for a couple years until he's ready to claim his spot as the next great left tackle at Michigan. He's also hopefully the first among many California recruits that a coaching staff familiar with the left coast should be able to pluck, especially given USC's upcoming scholarship issues. As always, hope you enjoyed.

Tremendous and Erik Magnuson....
Page 1 of 1