Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Next year's defense

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jjabilene

Next year's defense Empty
PostSubject: Next year's defense   Next year's defense EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 10:40 am

I've been thinking this all year, but haven't really seen it discussed. I really can't see any reason why the defense next year shouldn't be really strong. I think this year's defense is pretty good, but far from great. I really expect that to change next year. Here's what I see for each position group:

First of all, our linebackers should be excellent next year. We'll be deep and experienced. We only lose Cam Gordon, who isn't a starter, but plays a fair amount and is good. I think James Ross and Desmond Morgan are already good and will only get better. The biggest factor is Jake Ryan though, he's been playing ok, but isn't anywhere near the beast he was last year. If he returns to that former glory, our linebackers will be great. Bolden has also played a lot so we'll have depth.

The secondary should also be good. We lose Thomas Gordon and Courtney Avery. I think Gordon is good and Avery is fine as the nickel, but wouldn't want him playing every down. Jared Wilson has played a lot and is already decent, I think he'll be good. Dymonte Thomas is a 5-star who hasn't played a lot but should be ready by next year, and Furman has already played quite a bit. The corners should be really strong. Countess and Taylor are already pretty good and will be back. Stribling and Lewis have played a lot as freshman and I think have shown a lot of potential. We'll also be adding a top-10 recruit in Peppers to the mix. Defensive backs should be strong and deep.

The biggest question mark will be the line, but we're not losing much there--Black and Washington. Black has been very good this year. I think Washington really stepped up LAST year, and has played fine when he's been in, but for some reason hasn't played a lot this year. That's not that much to replace. Clark has developed into a nice player, and seems like the kind of guy who will continue to improve. Willie Henry seems to be getting better and better and is playing a lot as a freshman since Pipkins has been out. I'm pretty optimistic about him. Hopefully, Pipkins will be fully healthy next year. He'll have 11 months to recover so I'm hopeful. Beyer, Wormley and Ojemudia have all shown flashes as pash rushers, so I'm hopeful one of them will be ready to take over. There's also Heitzman, and the rest of this year's freshman, so I think this position should be deep too.

I think this season is the year we're paying the highest transition costs, a lot of the experienced players from the RR era (who weren't as good as our young players will eventually be) graduated last year and with the black whole of the 2010 class, there's a gap. I also think the defense is one year ahead of the offense.  I'll be really disappointed if the defense doesn't take a leap forward next year, especially since I think the offense will only be marginally better.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Next year's defense   Next year's defense EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Nice rundown jj.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Next year's defense   Next year's defense EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Good stuff.  Most national writers said UM was 1 year away before this season started, and it looks like they were right.
Back to top Go down
MgoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Next year's defense   Next year's defense EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Yep on paper errr....forum the defense looks good. Just getting tired of having the "next year" mentality all the time. We still face a tough road schedule and the offense has some big question marks. Could be another year of "next year" posts.
Back to top Go down
jjabilene

PostSubject: Re: Next year's defense   Next year's defense EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 3:10 pm

MgoBlue wrote:
Yep on paper errr....forum the defense looks good.  Just getting tired of having the "next year" mentality all the time.  We still face a tough road schedule and the offense has some big question marks.  Could be another year of "next year" posts.
That was part of my point, there should be no "next year" excuse for the defense in 2014. Offense is probably another matter.
Back to top Go down
the artist formally known

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: Next year's defense   Next year's defense EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 12:27 pm

defense is not a concern although you could be looking at the RR era reverse since RR wanted to build an offense and failed to address the defense . Hoke has addressed the defense and has only marginally worked with the offense , maybe FINALLY
THEY BOTH WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE.lol! flower 

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next year's defense   Next year's defense Empty

Back to top Go down

Next year's defense
Page 1 of 1