Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OK how about bitterest losses...

Go down 
+6
michmike
joe
Wolverdog
ThatGuy
Admin
flabluefan1
10 posters
AuthorMessage
flabluefan1

OK how about bitterest losses...  Empty
PostSubject: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:00 pm

For me the three Dennis Franklin games v OSU in 72-74 ( I count the 10-10 tie as a loss) All three were lost on Lantry FG misses although the one in 73 was two very long ones. Worse though was that Bo tried to play it close to the vest and sit on tenuous leads in the 72 and 74 games. In 72 we were inside the 5 twice and instead of kicking the FG Bo went for it both times and we got stopped. (Actually Shuttlesworth was in on one but the refs were intimidated by the OSU crowd but you have to expect that there) In 74 we had a 10-0 lead and Bo sat on it and OSU kicked 4 long fgs to win it. OSU barely got across midfield the entire game.

But even worse were all thos losses to USC Stanford and Washington in Pasadena. Bo simply did not know how to stop the pass the the RB out of the backfield and he refused to thrwo the ball even when the D was in basically an 11 man front the entire game.

I loved Bo and he is one of the greatest but he had his stubborn streak that cost him all those games. To this day those are the most bitter losses IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Easy! Colorado without question.   OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:03 pm

I hate even thinking about it!!!!!
Back to top Go down
flabluefan1

PostSubject: that was bad but not like the ones I mention at least for me nfm   OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:14 pm

nfm
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:30 pm

I'd have to go with Appy, this year's loss to Iowa, the loss out at Washington in 2001 or whatever.

Unfortunately, I feel like I remember the losses more than the wins.

That's what happens when you root for a program like Michigan.

ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Appy was bad, very bad but I wasn't at that game. The worst game that I have ever been to was Toledo. Freaking Toledo! I sat there for a good 1/2-hour before I could even leave my seat after the game. Freaking Toledo!

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm so happy I wasn't able to follow us as intensely as I did before and after the RR years. Thank God his tenure was smack dab in the middle of me being in college.

So, unless it was a rivalry game, or IU was on the road, I didn't catch a whole lot of games. Didn't see the Appy or Toledo game. Caught the last 3 minutes of the Utah loss.

In general, I was lucky. I was in the tailgate fields across from Memorial Stadium, blacked out. Although I would have to read about it on Sunday when I would come out of my coma.

If I wouldn't have been in college at the time, and had to sit and watch all of those RR games......I'd have no TV, no windows and probably no girlfriend. I would have thrown something, anything, through every piece of glass. And i would have made her (whoever she would have been) so miserable she would've left me.

KIDS, GO TO COLLEGE.

lol!

Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:00 pm

dwoody wrote:
I hate even thinking about it!!!!!

I'm with you!

joe

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 6:08 pm

My friend and I were in SPartan Stadium for the 2001 Spartan Bob Game.

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Since you did not stipulate in-person attendance (or did you?), my all-time most bitter loss was the STEALTH of the 1979 Rose Bowl from us by the friggin' ref who awared Chas. White's phantom TD.

As for attendance, I'd say my first game back to The Big House after graduation; the 9-15-79 ND game...we lost 12-10 on four Irish field goals,
despite outgaining them 310-180. We missed two ourselves and had a terrible kicking game that season. In fact on two of the Irish FG's, their
very capable kicker, Chuck Male, hit long ones after TURNOVERS by us
following which the damned Irish could not concoct a first down! Total
gifts, they were. That---and the 1980 The-Wind-Stopped-For-Harry-Oliver
game---are as responsible as anything for my glee and joy over our current three-game winning streak (soon to be 4, and 5/6)!
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: FBF---direct reply   OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Yes, FlaBlue, Bo's stubborn streak was infuriating at times. To this day I chalk up the 1972 loss at
OSU as his WORST-EVER coaching job. His play-calling (esp. during the second time we were stopped inside
the 5, four downs, late in the game) was downright stupid...no euphemisms possible.
Back to top Go down
eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 9:30 pm

I have two that stand out to me:

1. 2001 MSU game.

2. 2005 O$U game. Michigan had no business losing that game, and some of you may disagree with me, but I blame that loss on Jim Herman and Lloyd Carr whose defense was out of shame that entire year. I didn't mind seeing Herman leaving after that season.
Back to top Go down
eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Admin wrote:
I'm so happy I wasn't able to follow us as intensely as I did before and after the RR years. Thank God his tenure was smack dab in the middle of me being in college.

So, unless it was a rivalry game, or IU was on the road, I didn't catch a whole lot of games. Didn't see the Appy or Toledo game. Caught the last 3 minutes of the Utah loss.

In general, I was lucky. I was in the tailgate fields across from Memorial Stadium, blacked out. Although I would have to read about it on Sunday when I would come out of my coma.

If I wouldn't have been in college at the time, and had to sit and watch all of those RR games......I'd have no TV, no windows and probably no girlfriend. I would have thrown something, anything, through every piece of glass. And i would have made her (whoever she would have been) so miserable she would've left me.

KIDS, GO TO COLLEGE.

lol!

haha I was in college during the Rich Rod years also, so I know how you feel. I got pissed off drunk quite a bit during and after Michigan games. I got pretty messed up after the O$U and MSU games
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 am

eGrandpa wrote:
haha I was in college during the Rich Rod years also, so I know how you feel. I got pissed off drunk quite a bit during and after Michigan games. I got pretty messed up after the O$U and MSU games

Oh wow, my condolances. I give immense props to anyone who went to Michigan during the Rich Clod years that DID NOT slit their wrists. I know that I was in immense pain living over 100 miles north of the Stadium, I cannot even immagine being there in person. As previously mentioned, the Toledo game was humiliating for me. I also attended the Western Michigan game in 2008 and the Connecticut game in 2009, they won both yea!!!!

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 am

WOAH! Here's a bitter loss for you....

How about that game we lost in Evanston, 54-51?!?!?!???

That game was so freaking stupid. We couldn't stop that bullshit offense to save our lives. Then, we finally did, and all we had to do was run out the clock, A-Train fumbles at our own 20 or so!! TD northwestern, game over.

I remember I was at the Michigan Football Camp a couple years later, a sophomore in HS. I saw Lloyd, Fred Jackson and Terry Malone sitting together in between one of our 'practices'. I sat down by them, just to eavesdrop.

Finally, I turned to Jackson, and literally asked him about that fumble. On the TV coverage, after Thomas fumbled, he went to the sideline and was on one knee, very upset with himself. You can see Fred walk over and pat him on the back and say something.

So I asked Fred, a couple years later, what exactly did he say to Anthony right there.

He was definitely shocked that a 16 year old kid would even remember that play/exchange between them, let alone have the balls to ask about it. Right when I asked him, Lloyd definitely looked over and was surprised too.

He told me that he told A-Train to shake it off. That they were only still in that game because of him, and the team will need him more as the season went on.

I can't believe I forgot about all that.

Still burns. But talking to Jackson about it was really cool.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:04 pm

Admin wrote:
How about that game we lost in Evanston, 54-51?!?!?!???

That is the game that I knew my wife was really into UM football as much as I was. She tossed her fork at the TV, and it left a dent in the screen. This was one of those first generation flat screens with the huge back and weighed about a thousand pounds. We had that TV for years with the dent right in the middle of the screen. Good thing she doesn't throw hard. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Yeah, I was in Evanston for that debacle also

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:15 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
Yeah, I was in Evanston for that debacle also

Ughhhhh.

We made Kustok and that RB look like Heisman finalists that day.

joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:28 pm

That was a longgggggggg drive home that night!

God did that suck.

My friends just couldn't believe Michigan giving up 54 points. (pre RR of course! lol)

the artist formally known

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:34 pm

How about 2 years ago when we are just killing ILL . We have a 4th and inches for a TD we get stop and Ill goes on to route Michigan in the 2nd hallf Lashore has a record breaking day.

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I already said Colorado, but when Desmond   OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:08 pm

got TACKLED in the endzone on the conversion try at the end of the Moo-U game with no flag, I almost had a heart attack. I still remember the headline in the Free Piss three days later: "Refs blew call, Big Ten admits". Shit!
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:12 pm

I was at "the horror" in 2007. Do you guys refer to the Appy State game as that or is this just an MGoBlog term?

When Bill Martin scheduled that game the previous winter, I was absolutely floored. The entire trip to the big house that day, I complained the whole time. I just couldn't believe I was on my way to watch Michigan play a 1-AA opponent. I never thought I would see the day. Then the game...we know what happened there. But what makes it extra tragic for me was that I was sitting in the very end zone of where our field goal was blocked in the final seconds. I was in the second row. Very few people had a better view of that play than I did. If I had the stomach, I could probably find myself in the clip of the play. I have always had a freakishly good memory but the rest of that day is pretty much a blur. The only thing I remember is walking out of the stadium like a zombie and hearing some guy yelling at Lloyd Carr asking him if he was happy.

As for that 2000 Northwestern game, A-Train's fumble was disgusting because of how it happened. He had run for a first down, Northwestern couldn't stop the clock. Fred Jackson even mentioned closing his playbook. Game over. Then, like something you would only expect to happen in South Bend, he fumbles the ball. He wasn't tackled, the ball wasn't poked out of his hands, he just simply dropped it like a bar of soap. The next week, that Northwestern team went to play a 9 loss Iowa team who had one of the worst defenses in the Big Ten. Iowa went on to beat them 27-17. This same Wildcat team who torched our defense couldn't do crap against a Iowa team who already had home losses to Western Michigan and Indiana. That was just...wow.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OK how about bitterest losses...    OK how about bitterest losses...  Empty

Back to top Go down

OK how about bitterest losses...
Page 1 of 1