Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good for Nick Sheridan (link)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Good for Nick Sheridan (link) Empty
PostSubject: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:13 pm

The kid lands at Western Kentucky, and will serve as the Quarterbacks Coach and Passing Game Coordinator.

(To be honest, I'm not sure what his 'credentials' were, but it is only WKU).

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/ex-saline-and-michigan-football-quarterback-nick-sheridan-named-full-time-assistant-at-western-kentu/

To be fair, I don't think Sheridan was ever top-tier D-1 talent. Then he was forced to run an offense that he had NO SHOT at executing effectively. Even if Lloyd was still here with his is Debord/Malone/etc. offense, Sheridan never would have been the guy.

But good for him landing a job (Lord knows it's not easy these days.....I know, I know, unemployment rate at it's lowest level in a long time - which I'm very happy for because the markets have responded 'accordingly').

Perhaps he's one of those kids that was always meant to coach.

Certainly wish him luck going forward.

exmichresident

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:23 pm

As I recall, it was always his goal to become a coach. Your right, he was never considered a starting QB at Mich but forced to. It's too bad RR had to use him. Of course he could have implemented a Pro/Spread style of offense to help the poor kid. That's another subject. And don't anyone jump on me for mentioning RR, until you read "Three and Out".
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I've read it.

Once I was finished, I think it took me some time to digest it a bit.

In the end, I honestly don't think RR ever got a fair shake, beginning from the moment he stepped on campus and did his first presser.

I don't like the lack of 'assistance' from Lloyd (but I'm not like some people who now hate him over it).

It's the simple timeline discussed in the book:

Year 1: Lose big
Year 2: Lose close, steal a couple wins
Year 3: Win close, have a couple wins stolen away
Year 4: Win big

He got to year 3, and when he was fired, he had completed the first 3 'steps' (and not just because of the years, but because that's literally how his MIchigan teams were progressing).

This past season would have been Year 4: 11-2, Sugar Bowl Championship.

Do I think RR would have gotten us that far last season? I don't know. I have my doubt because of his inability to hire a quality DC, but like ex' said, that's all for another time.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Admin wrote:
The kid lands at Western Kentucky, and will serve as the Quarterbacks Coach and Passing Game Coordinator.

(To be honest, I'm not sure what his 'credentials' were, but it is only WKU).

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/ex-saline-and-michigan-football-quarterback-nick-sheridan-named-full-time-assistant-at-western-kentu/

To be fair, I don't think Sheridan was ever top-tier D-1 talent. Then he was forced to run an offense that he had NO SHOT at executing effectively. Even if Lloyd was still here with his is Debord/Malone/etc. offense, Sheridan never would have been the guy.

But good for him landing a job (Lord knows it's not easy these days.....I know, I know, unemployment rate at it's lowest level in a long time - which I'm very happy for because the markets have responded 'accordingly').

Perhaps he's one of those kids that was always meant to coach.

Certainly wish him luck going forward.

Sheridan came to Michigan, as a walk-on to go to school and learn how to become an effective coach. He never thought in his wildest dreams that he would ever trade his clip-board for a helmet. Then came Rich Clod. Rich Clod ran off our starter (after Henne left) in Mallet so then we only had Threet and Sheridan. Rich Clod was convinced he could get Pryor, but tp was more infatuated with free tattoos. Then ya get 3-9, how did we ever win 3 with those clowns?

Sheridan was only part-way through his coaching training when he was thrust into a starting role. The guy was dumb-founded, but in retro-spect his experiences on the field (although horrible) will make him a better coach. Ya gotta start somewhere so why not the Hill-toppers?

You discredit the job because you've never heard of Western Kentucky and they are not a Football power. Western Kentucky is about the same size as Eastern Michigan, although I'd say that Western Kentucky has a little bit better of a Football program. How many former UM players/coaches are now on Eastern's staff?

Don't discredit Western Kentucky, I'm not saying that they are a power or will even be a bowl team but baby-steps. Baby-steps. Your first coaching job is never at the top. Coach Hoke's first coaching job was at Yorktown High School in Indiana. Lloyd Carr's first Coaching job was at Nativity High School, MI. Urban Cryer's first coaching job was in St. Xavier High School, OH.

But Thank You for posting that link. It has crossed my mind in the past, "What is Sheridan up to now-a-days?" but I never followed through and actually looked.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
exmichresident

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 7:27 pm

A little mistake Admin...I believe RR didn't even get on campus before Lloyd was handing out the transfer papers. An Assistant or Coleman called him and he said it was ok to transfer but, could he meet with the kids first. I don't think he was even on campus. Let's put it this way, had Casteel come along with him (understand they did not want to pay him much) I still believe RR may still be at Mich. Good or bad. And for all those who hate him so much, just trying reading the book or, in some cases, you may need to read it again. Liked your response though.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 7:55 pm

I read the book, and I think it is bullshit his attitude that you have to lose big three years before you win big.

RR expected to lose his first year. Fuck that. I'm glad he is gone. RR is the only person to blame for the performance on the field.

I don't care what happened off he field by former coaches and players. RR was the coach and he failed, that's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:14 pm

exmichresident wrote:
A little mistake Admin...I believe RR didn't even get on campus before Lloyd was handing out the transfer papers. An Assistant or Coleman called him and he said it was ok to transfer but, could he meet with the kids first. I don't think he was even on campus. Let's put it this way, had Casteel come along with him (understand they did not want to pay him much) I still believe RR may still be at Mich. Good or bad. And for all those who hate him so much, just trying reading the book or, in some cases, you may need to read it again. Liked your response though.

I didn't mean with transfers or anything like that. I simply meant the way that RR had invited him several times to address the team, and LC declined every time. There just wasn't any sense of assistance from Lloyd's part in regards to the overall transition.

But, as I said, I don't let all that cloud my opinion of Lloyd. He's still the man. He does excellent charitable work with Mott's. He's still a great proponent for CFB and the Maize n Blue.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:13 am

Admin wrote:
I didn't mean with transfers or anything like that. I simply meant the way that RR had invited him several times to address the team, and LC declined every time. There just wasn't any sense of assistance from Lloyd's part in regards to the overall transition.

But, as I said, I don't let all that cloud my opinion of Lloyd. He's still the man. He does excellent charitable work with Mott's. He's still a great proponent for CFB and the Maize n Blue.

Well said. Very Happy

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
MaizenBlue

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 6:08 pm

90% of big name head coaches started out at colleges as small and smaller than Western Kentucky. Honestly it's pretty impressive for him to be coaching a position at a school that size for his age. He's only 22 or 23 I believe. His dad was a coach in the NFL for a long time and took a job at Ohio State this year. I was very impressed with him during his time at Michigan. He started 7 games in high school and a couple years later was thrown into the starting QB job at Michigan. He handled all the media crap and horrible season in stride. Hope to see him coaching somewhere big in the next few years.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Sounds like an abridged version of my post at 3:39 yesterday. I agree, or maybe I'm just wordy?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
exmichresident

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:16 pm

When it comes to RR there are just some that hated him from the beginning and still do. If fish really read the book...can't you agree he walked into the "perfect storm"? If not, I'm not sure you read it. Remember everyone...I wanted him out too. He didn't have a clue on defense. So, I'm not totally sticking up for him. And Admin, your point is well taken. Fish...ease up. I hope your not experiencing the nightmares weather (from other forum) experienced.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 12:33 pm

I don't experience nightmares. However, I did read the entire book, received it for Christmas from my wife. I really don't care about what happened off the field. Bottom line is, he couldn't keep his upper classmen in tact. First thing Hoke did was sell the seniors. RR didn't.

Perfect storm? Helped by his departure from WVU. Look, I was sqarely behind RR until Wisconsin 2010 then I new a change needed to be made.

Lose big first? If he ever said that to his team, no matter what else he said or did, he lost that first team right there.
Back to top Go down
exmichresident

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 am

I could talk till i'm blue in the face...it wouldn't help. lets move on fish.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Can't believe that I'm doing this but I'm going to defend Rich Clod a little.

fishgoblue22 wrote:
First thing Hoke did was sell the seniors. RR didn't.

Mallet decided that he was leaving before Rich Clod ever stepped foot on campus. The Hill-billy did meet with Mallet but Ryan decided long ago that he was leaving. IMO Mallet was on the fence between Michigan and Arkansas before he evercompleted High School. He ultimately chose Michigan, which was good for us. However, after experiencing all of the stressors at Michigan while playing Football, not waltzing into the starter's job as he had hoped, and needing to mature a lot (I heard from many people on campus that Mallet was a complete cock), combined wioth a new coach coming to Michgan along with new everything else (i.e. spread, et. al) this was the ideal time for Mallet-head to leave.

I hold no ill will for Mallet, he made a wise decision that was in his best-interests. Rich Clod on the other hand NEVER respected Michigan. He wanted to do his own thing his own way. He was more than willing (eager in fact) to throw 127 years of history out the window just so he could build "his" program and become Michigan Football.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good for Nick Sheridan (link)   Good for Nick Sheridan (link) Empty

Back to top Go down

Good for Nick Sheridan (link)
Page 1 of 1