Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???

Go down 
+5
WillieMfan
fishgoblue22
the artist formally known
joe
ZoneRead
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ZoneRead

ZoneRead

3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? Empty
PostSubject: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:26 pm

What do you guys think??...With a few bodies needed on the D-Line will Matty utilize some speed with ALL the LB's we have???...I think we could be in for a few suprises with what this defense might be able to accomplish...Thoughts? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Yeah, it's too early to tell but with our current lack of linement and our possible glut of linebackers the 3-4 seems obvious.

Obvious to this neophyte! lol

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:38 pm

4-3 I doub'r you see a 3-4 for awhile . I for 1 don't think it really works in the big 10 . Think the good teams havr to stout a running game for it and , the spread offense needs more people to contain which would widen your LB in a 3-4

WITH AN ENTHUSIASM UNKNOWN TO MANKIND
GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 1:15 pm

3-4 won't work in the B1G, but it works in the NFL? Hmm, I think that is kind of funny. Anyway, I think you will see multiple sets, as GM has shown he will bring pressure from different looks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 1:29 pm

It works in the NFL because of the Atheletes the have, very fast quick LB That cover alot of ground also they have NG that are aninmals it take a special kind of player to play Nose in The 3-4 , I just don't think you can recruit enough of those guys to play a 3-4

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Great points. But really in a 3-4 you need fast LB's and a huge NT. The NT doesn't need to make plays, just take up a lot of space. See Casey Hampton for the Steelers. He rarely is in on the tackle, but he is a key cog to the 3-4 because he is huge.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:01 pm

I have to say we are set up fairly well to go 3-4 next year given or current personnel. We have a pretty good and deep LB group. Our DL; not so much. Regardless of what system we use we need Campbell to finally show why he was so highly rated out of HS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 pm

Other than a 3-4 I would like a 4-2-5 have 4 down lineman 2 animal LB in the middle, Then 2 outside combo backers guys who are to big to be a saftey but small compare to most backers 2 CB and 2 speed safties.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
Bluejay35

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Your count comes to 12. There is only one true safety in a 4-2-5.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Dah sorry about that you are corect but that would be a tough defense , Just illegal.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
Bluejay35

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah, wonder how many plays they could run it before the refs figured it out! But I get your point, I like the 4-2-5 Defense. Those 2 hybrid guys have to be the best players on the field, as the scheme really is designed to spill everything to those guys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:22 pm

and with all the spread offense in the NCAA . they could cover well and protect the edges it would be easier withthe speed guys to both cover and react to runs.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:30 pm

I'd have to go with the 4-3. I recall the 4-2-5 from Bo's days (he got away from the 5-2-4 once Pac-10 teams passed on him too much in his first several Rose Bowls), and the 4-2-5 has merits, but to the untrained eye/mind, TWO seems too few linebackers to have on the field, given the plethora of players we'll have at that position in '12. I'm thinking the most common will be 4-3-4...but that's my uneducated take; I have all the confidence in the world (esp. after seeing our 360-degree turnaround last serason) in Matty and Co. to put the most effective defense on the field at the right time, most ALL of the time.

And I COULD NOT AGREE MORE with WillieMfan--- the biggest factor in whatever success our "D" has in '12 (and like everyone I have pretty high expectations for it) will be how well Big Will does. Crap, we all know it all starts up front...witness the effects a great season from Mike Martin, a vastly-improved season from Ryan VB, and the improving play of Black and Clark had on last year's defense. And of course those big two in the middle aren't going to be around in '12...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:34 pm

True if that front 4 can eat up blockers it won't matter much what "D" were in, and I would like to see them have to double the inside gueards so that the LB can run free. that why I hate the 3-4 it takes less guys to handle the front line, leaving blockers to get on the LB's.

GOOO BLUE
Very Happy Very Happy
The Curse of Rich Rod

Back to top Go down
umls96

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:47 pm

4-3, unless we have a better nose tackle than we realize.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 am

umls96 wrote:
4-3, unless we have a better nose tackle than we realize.

Have to agree with this. If PeeWee turns out to be a manimal, we may be able to pull off the 3-4 one day. But, we still play in the Big Ten. And despite the trend towards spread offenses these days even in this conference, the teams that are winning are the teams that run the football.

Wisconsin
Michigan State
Ohio always has a good ground game
etc.

Hell, look at what we were able to accomplish this year once we developed a true RB to shoulder some of the load.

That said, unless we have a freak at the nose, I don't think the 3-4 holds up too well in the Big Ten.

BUT....haha....Matty seems to be a genius, and whatever the hell he decides to do, I'll trust in his judgement.

That's a guy who deserves every penny of a $750,000 salary.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???   3-4 or 4-3 defense next season??? Empty

Back to top Go down

3-4 or 4-3 defense next season???
Page 1 of 1