Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gary's future- reading between the lines

Go down 
+4
BOLEACH7
michmike
fishgoblue22
wshoes
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wshoes

wshoes

Gary's future- reading between the lines Empty
PostSubject: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 5:14 pm

of Jim's Monday press conference: I think our medical staff cleared him to play and Rashan elected not to (maybe based on advice from personal advisors). I sense this is a little bit of a sore point with Jim- but he does not want to publicly criticize a guy who has been so important to the program.

Jim, Rashan didn’t make the trip. Is this something that’s lingering, or how do you see this? What is the progress he’s making? Do you see him coming back?

“Yeah, he’s made progress. He practiced last week, but he didn’t feel like he could play in games. So, that was a decision made, not to play in the game.”

Was it your decision not to travel him?

“Well, we get to travel 74 guys.”

Yeah, no, I know. He could’ve — cause I think Wilton (Speight) last year, and his father (traveled) so I was just wondering if that was an option for Rashan

“We take the 74, in uniform that can play in the game.”

Jim, do you anticipate Rashan’s being a season-ender, or do you anticipate him to be back?

“I don’t know.”

This is really a change in tone from his comments over the past couple of weeks. Jim is careful to say "he" didn't feel he could play, not "we" or the trainers or staff. I also wondered why he wasn't there in street clothes to cheer on his team. Reference is made to Speight going to a road game last year that he couldn't play in. I get the feeling that there might be a bit of hard feelings here and that Jim discouraged him from going. I hope I am wrong because I would hate to see this in the wake of all of the other good feeling on the team right now. Understand also that I am not criticizing Rashan-IF he is placing his NFL future (based upon advice he has received, good or bad) ahead of playing right now for Michigan.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 pm

It is rare for an injured player to travel with the team. Speight did it one game last year, and other than that I can only remember Adrian Arrington traveling to Iowa years ago.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 6:56 pm

I think the thought was he could easily get a ride to East Lansing from Ann Arbor without "traveling with the team."
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 6:41 am

You have valid points and logical assumptions there, Shoes.  But there is another albeit it somewhat distant possibility: that, with Rashan still less than 100%, this whole spiel is a "smoke screen" of sorts, to place a 'plant' (as police call a criminal's subterfuge) in the minds of our remaining opponents: particularly the LAST one.  What would they think if they suddenly heard RG's name called as "for Michigan, at Strong DE...!"  ?????

Just me talkin'...
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 am

Yes a Willis Reed moment .... the Lakers were thrown off and the Knicks won ... can see RG smashing Haskins to the ground on consecutive sacks and sending us on to victory!!!
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 9:02 am

Every one brings Willis Reed up and I'm sure that was an emotional lift and fired up the crowd, but he scored 4 points with 3 rebounds in that game in 27 minutes. I don't think we need Rashan for an emotional lift, we need him as a physical contributor. If the rest of the line stays healthy (always a big if), then we can still be a great defense. if he can come back at 80 percent or better then so much the better.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 9:04 am

Plus I have to think that a team leader like Rashan would want to have been in East Lansing to cheer his teammates on in such a rivalry game.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 am

An update from his mother. FYI, I hate linking another message board, but it is what it is.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/gary%27s-mother-update-rashan
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Again reading between the lines, it sounds like Jim and Rashan may see things a little differently, and she is supporting her son (as she should).
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 1:22 pm

As for Gary not being in EL, apparently, his Mom was in AA over the weekend. That might explain his absence at the game.

For some reason, I get the feeling he's done playing for Michigan. Don't know why, just a gut feeling.

Bill
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 3:24 pm

This is not reading between the lines. The kid wants to play. He'll play for us again if he can.

THe interesting thing as a side note they say Michigan goes 100% in practice or not at all. It's said practice is at game speed.

I'll go out on a limb and say if he's able to play against osu he will. If it comes down to playing in only a bowl game I think he'll sit out.

BTW, it has never been said by anyone in the know that he is leaving after this year.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 4:54 pm

joe wrote:
This is not reading between the lines. The kid wants to play. He'll play for us again if he can.

THe interesting thing as a side note they say Michigan goes 100% in practice or not at all. It's said practice is at game speed.

I'll go out on a limb and say if he's able to play against osu he will. If it comes down to playing in only a bowl game I think he'll sit out.

BTW, it has never been said by anyone in the know that he is leaving after this year.

He may or may not play again this year, but he is 100% not coming back next year. I'd be willing to bet my paycheck on that.

Last edited by fishgoblue22 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Agree, close to zero chance he is coming back next year, even if he is projected to slip into the second round. It's unfortunate that this has to be an issue now in the program but I think he was cleared to play (this is certainly strongly implied by Harbaugh), he chose not to, and I don't blame him for that if his own doctors/advisors told him not to. Harbaugh MAY have discouraged him from going to EL to stand on the sideline, which would be unfortunate and perhaps a bit petulant on JH's part. I find it hard to believe that if Michigan's own staff had not cleared Rashan to play, that Jim would not have wanted this team leader there for vocal support in such a big game. This notion that only so many can travel as opposed to dress is one thing, but even if that is a rule, a hundred people would have been willing to drive him up there.

His mother, just as clearly implies that he thought he could rehab during the week and play on Saturdays (as many NFL'ers do) but that it was made clear to him that you must practice to play (which has always been a Harbaugh rule).
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 3:08 am

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/michigan-wolverines-football-don-brown-thinks-gary-is-very-very-close-?ref=cfb2018_29
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 10:23 pm

wshoes wrote:
Agree, close to zero chance he is coming back next year, even if he is projected to slip into the second round...

He will have his degree. He's gone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gary's future- reading between the lines   Gary's future- reading between the lines Empty

Back to top Go down

Gary's future- reading between the lines
Page 1 of 1