Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Greg Mattison

Go down 
+5
sandyeggo_blue
BetterThansparty
wshoes
fishgoblue22
MGOBLUEBC
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Leaving to coach at OSU as their Defensive coordinator. Evil or Very Mad

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigan-Football-Veteran-defensive-line-coach-Greg-Mattison-has-decided-to-accept-a-job-offer-from-Ohio-State-127452866/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190107_121231_Michigan%20Wolverines&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=65-C7-60-E7-17-2A-A3-84-08-0B-57-9F-6D-28-8B-9C190107_121231MichiganWolverines&fbclid=IwAR1KiZovkRAThwBEIVwKKU_iLfle1i58004P4HXa3MdEo6oUYuYucgiixiA
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm

He did this before, in 1996 to go to ND. He was demoted at UM. Can't blame him. This actually makes me fear OSU's D less.

He's a good coach, but he is 70 and the game may have passed him by.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
He did this before, in 1996 to go to ND.  He was demoted at UM.  Can't blame him.  This actually makes me fear OSU's D less.  

Good point and that's what I'm thinking, too.

I'm just pissed because he's going to fucking Ohio State!!! You know Meyer had his hands in on this deal, the POS. What else we going to lose to them??

I thought he had a daughter and grandchild in AA and that's where he wanted to be? Apparently not.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Bad thing about this Fish.........he knows Don Brown and Harbaugh like the back of his hand. Defensive wise, we're going to need to change drastically or lose at the Big House next year.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 5:12 pm

MGOBLUEBC wrote:
Bad thing about this Fish.........he knows Don Brown and Harbaugh like the back of his hand. Defensive wise, we're going to need to change drastically or lose at the Big House next year.

What is he going to tell them that isn't on film? Not worried at all- just change the signals.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
He did this before, in 1996 to go to ND.  He was demoted at UM.  Can't blame him.  This actually makes me fear OSU's D less.  

My biggest thing about losing Mattison is the loss of his recruiting. It's not anything Michigan can't overcome but it still exists. Did Harbaugh push him out? He does wear on people ya know...
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 am

saw this on twitter:

Michigan fans: Our coaches suck. Ohio Sate's coaches are much better and we always get completely outschemed in big games.

[Ohio Sate hires away a Michigan defensive assistant and promotes him to defense coordinator]

Michigan fans: This is horrible news. We're screwed.

I thought that was funny.

IMO Mattison will be missed on the recruiting trail. There is plenty of talent and depth on the DL so whoever UM hires will arrive with a cabinet full of options. My thought is because of that and the fact that Michigan can pay handsomely, Harbaugh will not have a hard time finding a good replacement.

Al Washington leaving UM for o$u will have a greater impact, when that happens.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 am

Bo 2.0 wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

My biggest thing about losing Mattison is the loss of his recruiting.  It's not anything Michigan can't overcome but it still exists.  Did Harbaugh push him out?  He does wear on people ya know...

He was the primary recruiter on 1 player this year.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
Bo 2.0 wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

My biggest thing about losing Mattison is the loss of his recruiting.  It's not anything Michigan can't overcome but it still exists.  Did Harbaugh push him out?  He does wear on people ya know...

He was the primary recruiter on 1 player this year.  

How well is a 70 year old guy going to relate to 18 year olds?
Back to top Go down
stjotoo

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Now Washington is gone too. Is there a conflict between Brown and other staff members? Another good recruiter off to the Buckeyes.
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Only adds to the problems with the coaching staff ... the O still needs a bonafide OC and now we lose a top DL coach and a great young LB coach who is one of the top recruiters with the bonus of Ohio ties ... me thinks there is a problem within the ranks of Schembechler Hall ...
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 5:21 pm

BOLEACH7 wrote:
Only adds to the problems with the coaching staff ... the O still needs a bonafide OC and now we lose a top DL coach and a great young  LB coach who is one of the top recruiters with the bonus of Ohio ties ... me thinks there is a problem within the ranks of Schembechler Hall ...

It's Harbaugh wearing on people IMHO. I do not know this for fact. It's only speculation. I could be wrong and hope that I am.
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 5:56 pm

stjotoo wrote:
Now Washington is gone too.  Is there a conflict between Brown and other staff members?  Another good recruiter off to the Buckeyes.

washington was going to leave for o$u the first chance he got. It's home for him. coaching ties. life ties. alma mater. there is no conflict here. it was bound to happen. sucks to lose him but in this particular case this is a non issue IMO.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Let's recall how effective our D, included the line, was the past two games before you all get suicidal.
Back to top Go down
BOLEACH7

BOLEACH7

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyTue Jan 08, 2019 8:08 pm

The last two games defensively are on Don Brown totally
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 am

Interesting that the D played like SHIT the last two games and now all of a sudden we lose two  D coaches to OSU. Coincidence?

Just pointing that out is all.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 10:22 am

Ok, so here's how I see it.

We got our asses handed to us with these 2 as main position coaches. Beat BAD.

why should we keep them? Maybe now that ohio has them we can beat them.

Neither is a huge surprise to me. Washington because of what eggo said. Mattison shouldn't surprise anyone. He left once for Notre Dame. Remember that?

Fuck it. we couldn't beat them with these guys. Maybe we can beat them without these guys.

My buddy says the "perception" is that ohio not only beat us up bad but now they're taking our lunch money. I say FUCK PERCEPTION! If you're worried about perception you shouldn't be a coach or a player.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 10:33 am

joe wrote:

My buddy says the "perception" is that ohio not only beat us up bad but now they're taking our lunch money. I say FUCK PERCEPTION! If you're worried about perception you shouldn't be a coach or a player.

I agree that the optics of this is worse than the actual loss of coaches.  But it also shows that Day isn't playing around and wants to help his team and hurt UM whenever he can.  Washington is a strong Ohio recruiter.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 am

fishgoblue22 wrote:
joe wrote:

I agree that the optics of this is worse than the actual loss of coaches.  But it also shows that Day isn't playing around and wants to help his team and hurt UM whenever he can.  Washington is a strong Ohio recruiter.

Agree with both.
Back to top Go down
MGOBLUEBC

MGOBLUEBC

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 pm

We should have made a deal with OSU, buy 2 coaches and get one free......thrown in Pep Hamilton also. lol
Back to top Go down
stjotoo

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison EmptyWed Jan 09, 2019 4:14 pm

It's not surprising Washington left, given his O$U background and his extensive ties with Ohio High Schools. Maybe Mattison is getting twinges of dementia but over the years he has established a good relationship with HS coaches in Ohio. It will be interesting to see who Harbaugh selects to replace these two guys. The 103 points in the last two games says a lot about the defense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greg Mattison Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greg Mattison   Greg Mattison Empty

Back to top Go down

Greg Mattison
Page 1 of 1