Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

30 years ago yesterday

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
joe

joe

30 years ago yesterday Empty
PostSubject: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 10:55 am

Rumeal Robinson tickles the twine with 2 free throws to bring Michigan our only NCAA BB Title.

I was going to post about it yesterday and forgot.

The other thing I remember vividly is that the game wasn't over and Seton Hall had time left for a shot. They got a halfway decent look but clanged it.

What a tournament.
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Didn't Sean Higgins save our ass with a clutch shot v Illinois in the semis?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 1:20 pm

He did. It was actually a rebound and quick put back from about 5 feet. It may have even been an air ball he rebounded. Illinois had beaten us twice during the year. They had an outstanding team that year.

Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, Kendall Gill, Stephen Bardo, Lowell Hamilton, Marcus Liberty.

Anderson 13 years, Battle a few years, Gill 15 years, Bardo 2 years, Liberty 4 years. All played in the NBA. Hamilton was a McDonalds All American who didn't play in the NBA.

This Illinois team was LOADED.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 6:46 pm

My memory of the final four game against Illinois. My wife and I went to DC to celebrate our first anniversary and we were sitting in a nice restaurant on the evening of April 1st and my wife noticed my distraction and turned to see that I could see the TV in the bar. She asked if it is always going to be like this on our anniversary. I said I hope so.
Back to top Go down
wshoes

wshoes

PostSubject: Re: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 7:10 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
My memory of the final four game against Illinois.  My wife and I went to DC to celebrate our first anniversary and we were sitting in a nice restaurant on the evening of April 1st and my wife noticed my distraction and turned to see that I could see the TV in the bar.  She asked if it is always going to be like this on our anniversary.  I said I hope so.

Outstanding response!
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday EmptyThu Apr 04, 2019 7:50 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
My memory of the final four game against Illinois.  My wife and I went to DC to celebrate our first anniversary and we were sitting in a nice restaurant on the evening of April 1st and my wife noticed my distraction and turned to see that I could see the TV in the bar.  She asked if it is always going to be like this on our anniversary.  I said I hope so.

Which one of you picked the wedding date? tongue
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday EmptySat Apr 06, 2019 9:11 am

joe wrote:
fishgoblue22 wrote:

Which one of you picked the wedding date? tongue

The Marine Corps picked the the date. Graduated boot camp on Friday March 25th and married Saturday April 2nd on a plane to school Monday April 4th.

Last year the championship game was on our anniversary.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 6:42 pm

joe wrote:
He did.  It was actually a rebound and quick put back from about 5 feet. It may have even been an air ball he rebounded. Illinois had beaten us twice during the year. They had an outstanding team that year.

Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, Kendall Gill, Stephen Bardo, Lowell Hamilton, Marcus Liberty.

Anderson 13 years, Battle a few years, Gill 15 years, Bardo 2 years, Liberty 4 years. All played in the NBA. Hamilton was a McDonalds All American who didn't play in the NBA.

This Illinois team was LOADED.

Actually, Joe, it was a rebound---of a 3-pt shot by Terry Mills (that's right!).  Higgins afterward commented on how [then-interim] coach Steve Fisher pounded it into their heads: "Long shots usually produce long rebounds."  Sean got BEHIND one of the Illini jumping jacks and the rebound came his
way...he put it back up and in.

Still, as superb as the NCAA title was (with an interim coach!), no game, not even the above or the OT final over Seton Hall, made me as happy as the Sweet-16 win over the team I hated most: UNC and Dean Smith. They'd eliminated us from the previous two NCAA tournaments. And with Glen Rice absolutely shooting the lights out (something like 8/12 three-pointers, 35(?) total points), we took them down 92-87.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 30 years ago yesterday   30 years ago yesterday Empty

Back to top Go down

30 years ago yesterday
Page 1 of 1