Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

"We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... Empty
PostSubject: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 11:15 am

Take Two: Wolverines, Irish under the lights

By Matt Fortuna and Michael Rothstein
Notre Dame and Michigan will meet again under the lights in 2012, this time at Notre Dame Stadium. Of the Irish's eight home night games, three have come against Michigan, with the Irish winning all three. Notre Dame's first-ever home night game was a 23-17 win over Michigan to open the 1982 season.

Conversely, Michigan's only home night game came last season against Notre Dame, a thrilling 35-31 win before a college football-record 114,804 fans. It will be tough to top that event, but these two squads will try Sept. 22. Notre Dame blogger Matt Fortuna and WolverineNation's Michael Rothstein look at the next step in this rivalry.

Matt Fortuna: Give Notre Dame fans credit. Everything about the Irish's home night game against USC last year -- the school's first in 21 years -- was well-executed, sans the final score (31-17 Trojans) and the choice of music (I still cringe every time I hear "Crazy Train"). Ergo, the school gets to do it again, this time against a rival that has won three straight thrillers in the series. We don't know who will be under center for the Irish this September, but we do know Denard Robinson is back for Michigan, meaning the potential for another wild ending will be there. Robinson has been Notre Dame's worst nightmare the last two seasons, passing for 632 yards and rushing for 366 more, helping the Wolverines eke out four-point wins in consecutive years. This time he will likely face stud sophomore ends Aaron Lynch and Stephon Tuitt, who, controversially, were not used during last season's contest. Last year this game served as a springboard toward a BCS-season for Michigan under first-year coach Brady Hoke, while the Irish saw their postseason hopes all but vanish with an 0-2 start. What's all this mean for this fall? We can't know for sure, but every time we think this rivalry can't outdo itself, it does just that.Throw in Robinson's final game against the Irish -- under the lights, at that -- and the stage is set for what should be another remarkable finish. No matter the score, just make sure you don't turn the TV off after the third quarter.

Michael Rothstein: What this move signifies to me is that the Notre Dame-Michigan series -- forever a daytime deal -- could be moving to prime time more often. It wouldn't stun me to see this game be at night more years than not now that both Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon and Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick are committing to bringing night games to two of the most storied venues in college football. Michigan was pleased all around with its night-game experience -- although some fans loathe the Pop Evil "In the Big House" anthem that debuted this year -- and will do it again. It'll be Robinson's finale against the Irish, but for the first time in a while, this won't be the first marquee game on the Michigan schedule thanks to the season-opener against Alabama. So more will be known about the Wolverines going into this game than in most years. That could be critical when it comes to scouting Michigan and its new-look defensive and offensive lines (new starters in a bunch of spots there). As far as the rivalry goes, this year has the potential to be another good one and could solidify a Heisman Trophy candidacy for Robinson or Michigan running back Fitzgerald Toussaint or, if he has a dominant defensive performance, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o. One thing I do know -- I won't be writing much that night until the game's final seconds.

Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Good stuff, thanks for posting it.

For my money, that Pop Evil tune is way cool!

"In the Big House, we'll put your lights out, c'mon and shout out, the Wolverines are comin!"

How can you not love that?

Edit: If you don't have it or haven't heard it, you can get it free it here: http://prostopleer.com/tracks/5032916REF5

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Admin wrote:
...this year has the potential to be another good one and could solidify a Heisman Trophy candidacy for Robinson or Michigan running back Fitzgerald Toussaint or, if he has a dominant defensive performance, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o...

Not sure why it hasn't dawned on me yet but, if Denard or Fitz have stellar games that lead to UM victories in the opening two games then they have a hell of a shot at being Heisman front runners. I'm looking for UM to play good and post W's in the B1G schedule because if they do there will be legitimate Heisman talk again in Ann Arbor next fall.

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 9:50 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Not sure why it hasn't dawned on me yet but, if Denard or Fitz have stellar games that lead to UM victories in the opening two games then they have a hell of a shot at being Heisman front runners. I'm looking for UM to play good and post W's in the B1G schedule because if they do there will be legitimate Heisman talk again in Ann Arbor next fall.

What''s the big deal about Air Force? I understand the importance of the 'bama game but Air Force? Yes every game is a big game but how is beating Air Force going to help with Heisman voting?

OK, ok, I know that you made a mistake. The Notre Dame game is the 4th game on the schedule not the second. You meant the first two quality/high-profile teams. No biggie, just bustin' your eggo's...

Go Blue!

Razz

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 am

"We want to be cool, like Michigan."

Since I didn't see that direct quote in either Rothstein's nor Fortuna's blurbs (above), I'll ask: who DID say it?

Presumable answer: EVERYONE/EVERYTHING NOTRE DAME. Hell, they relied on us to teach them the game of football, and what a football stadium should look like...why not emulate EVERTHING Michigan?

And for the latter inclination, friends, I must say that this once I ADMIRE
Fighting Irish judgment!!!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 9:10 am

Bahahahahaha.

ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 2:17 pm

But ya know they will try to take credit for it (like everything else).

A couple weeks ago I went to the Michigan-notre dame Hockey series. I text my notre dame friend "Just like Football". Then I happened to find out that UM Baseball just beat notre dame so I text him again. I told him that I just found out the baseball score so I guess it'd be appropriate to say "Just like Football! Just like Hockey! Just like Baseball! What else ya got?"

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 2:30 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

What''s the big deal about Air Force? I understand the importance of the 'bama game but Air Force? Yes every game is a big game but how is beating Air Force going to help with Heisman voting?

OK, ok, I know that you made a mistake. The Notre Dame game is the 4th game on the schedule not the second. You meant the first two quality/high-profile teams. No biggie, just bustin' your eggo's...

Go Blue!

Razz

you got me bo. I need to hire a proof reader.

PostSubject: Re: "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...   "We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed... Empty

Back to top Go down

"We want to be cool, like Michigan." The ND night game discussed...
Page 1 of 1