Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!

Go down 
5 posters

PLAYOFF?
And 1
PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_lcap6%PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
4 team
PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_lcap44%PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_rcap
 44% [ 8 ]
8 team
PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_lcap33%PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
12 team
PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_lcap0%PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Eff a buncha playoffs!
PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_lcap17%PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Vote_rcap
 17% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
joe

joe

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Empty
PostSubject: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Whattya think?

If the forum determines yes maybe we'll have a poll over how to decide who gets in??????

joe

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:09 pm

One great thing about starting a POLL:

After you vote first you are in the 100th percentile!!! lol

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 pm

I voted 4 team. My reasoning is that it still puts a tremendous amount of importance on the regular season just to get an opportunity to play for the NC. It's not like bouncey-ball Basketball where 6,000 teams get into the tournament for the chance. Does anyone really think that Po dunk U. should get a chance at the NC just because they won some league out in the desert?

The And 1 argument is decent, and could possibly be a viable alternative but IMHO it doesn't allow for all of the best possible teams in. 8 and 12 team playoffs are over-kill, especially for Football. Sure, there will still be teams who just finish out of the Top 4 who feel shunned but no system is perfect.

And joe, I like the Bowl system but we do need a playoff (IMHO)...

I'm interested in what other people have to say.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Now that I put this out here   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 6:07 pm

I guess I have a question.

Would a 4 team playoff and an "And 1" be the same thing? (Is it And 1 or Add 1?)

I mean, the way an "Add One" works is there are 2 games (4 teams) and the 2 winners play right?

So maybe I was redundantly repetitive with some of my questioning.

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 6:29 pm

I voted no playoff, but I would be ok with a plus one.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:09 pm

I also voted no playoff Fish.

I guess I don't see any improvement.

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:17 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
I guess I have a question.

Would a 4 team playoff and an "And 1" be the same thing? (Is it And 1 or Add 1?)

I mean, the way an "Add One" works is there are 2 games (4 teams) and the 2 winners play right?

So maybe I was redundantly repetitive with some of my questioning.

Yes, they are the same thing. The "And One" or "Plus One" concept is the BCS's way of saying that they are considering a playoff, without actually saying that they are considering a playoff.

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 10:19 pm

I chose 4 team because that will be the foot in the door, but I have no doubt that an 8 team playoff will follow, and eventually 16.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 2:30 am

Interesting dog, I personally don't see a way an 8 team, and eventually 16 team playoff would work. I mean unless you want the season to run into February. I don't think an amateur league can run 6 months out of the year. But yes the 4 team system is what I think is coming. Perhaps it may start with the Top 4 BCS bowls, having 1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3 with the winners playing a week later? That could work although you'd lose the traditional match-up's. That would keep the season pretty much at the same length and give you a more realistic way to determine a champion while still maintaining the Bowl system (read money).

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:07 am

I think an 8 team playoff is sufficient, but once they figure out how to make $$$ from the tourney, 16 will surely follow.

Using UM's 2012 schedules as a basis, the season ends on Dec 1st with the B1G championship game.

It's possible that 16 teams could play on the 8th, 8 on the 15th, 4 on the 22nd, with the final game on New Year's day in prime time, after the traditional bowls.

I realize this is simplisitic, but D2 and D3 figured it out, D1 could also. Start the regular season earlier, extend it later (the BCS champ game was on Jan 9th this year remember), bye weeks taken out or added, etc.

I also realize that the conferences will want a say, but the bottom line is, if they want to be a champion on the field (meaning big $$$) they will have to succumb to whatever the BCS and/or NCAA decide.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 am

I voted 8, but I think 2nd made the best point. Of we go playoff route, NCAA has got to find a way to maintain the SEVERE IMPORTANCE of the regular season. That's what makes cfb what it is: EVERY WEEK IS A PLAYOFF IF YOU WANT TO WIN THE NC (unless you're Bama). If cfb loses that, it simply becomes the minor leagues to the NFL.

So, 4 is my new vote.

Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:44 am

*If we go playoff route...

My bad. Damn iPhone.

Wolverdog

Wolverdog

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 9:57 am

Good point, which is why I like 8 max. 4 would definitely get the cream of the BCS crop, but for example 8 would reward the team that started 1-2 but then won their next 9 or 10 in a row.

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm thinking a 1-loss team should still be in "consideration" for the NC, providing that it as an early season loss and they righted the ship later on. IMHO a 2 loss team should not be considered for a NC. That's 2 hiccups, if it is indeed a NATIONAL CHAMPION 2 blemish's doesn't fly. That would then guarantee that the majority of the teams in the playoff would be from the SEC. Talk about going from bad to worse...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!   PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS! Empty

Back to top Go down

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!
Page 1 of 1