Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.

Go down 
+2
BetterThansparty
fishgoblue22
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. Empty
PostSubject: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 2:14 pm

I hope he has a chance to stick with hockey for a while.

http://annarbor.com/sports/michigan-goalie-shawn-hunwick-reporting-to-columbus-blue-jackets/?cmpid=mlive-@mlive-sports#incart_flyout_sports
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks for posting this. I was unaware of Shawn's good-fortune until I read that. Even if he doesn't get the chance to play tonight it is unbelievable, Shawn's story just gets more "Rudyish" every day. Notre Dame who?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:46 pm

I don't think he plays tonight unless the wings go on a scoring binge like they did the other night against the Bluejackets.

But even if he doesn't this is still great.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:05 pm

For a 5 foot-nothing guy who weighs 100-and nothing to do all of this is really quite incredible. This is the Michigan difference. Three years ago if you asked him if he thought he'd ever suit up in a NHL uniform he would have said that you were crazy for even asking that question.

fish- I believe that you are a Michigan Hockey fan and can appreciate the significance of this story. I don't receive the same impression from the remainder of posters here though. Hockey isn't a highly visible sport though so it's understandable.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Even if he doesn't get the chance to play tonight it is unbelievable, Shawn's story just gets more "Rudyish" every day. Notre Dame who?

Minus the fraud charges right?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/16/business/la-fi-1217-sec-rudy-20111217
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:01 pm

WillieMfan wrote:
Minus the fraud charges right?

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/16/business/la-fi-1217-sec-rudy-20111217

A far as I know, and I'm not claiming to be all-knowing about Hunwick, he doesn't have any charges pending against him. Of course I've been to my share of Hockey Parties and ya never know...

Laughing

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:19 pm

I love hockey, it is right up there with football.

Rudy has fraud charges.
Back to top Go down
wstsidedad

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Congrats Hunwick! Good luck after tonight!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Seriously awesome for Hunwick. How many guys are playing NCAA level one week and dressed in THE league a week later?

I bet he's shitting his pants...but also having a blast. Good for him.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 6:47 am

I wonder what the reaction would have been if Shawn had entered the game in Columbus wearing that goalie mask?

http://www.freep.com/article/20120328/SPORTS06/120328039/shawn-hunwick-columbus-blue-jackets-michigan
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:22 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I wonder what the reaction would have been if Shawn had entered the game in Columbus wearing that goalie mask?

http://www.freep.com/article/20120328/SPORTS06/120328039/shawn-hunwick-columbus-blue-jackets-michigan

He did take warm-ups like that and said that he received some gestures.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=624710

1:00-1:25 (but watch the entire interview, it's only 2:12)

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Shawn signed today to stay on the Columbus roster through the rest of the season.

Saw on his twitter that he didn't really pack any clothes, so he was on his way to the mall to buy some haha.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Unfortunately for him Columbus' season ends next weekend. The Blue Jackets blow!

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:45 am

Oh jeez I didn't even realize the season was that close to over haha.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 6:00 am

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Unfortunately for him Columbus' season ends next weekend. The Blue Jackets blow!

Still, the practice experience is huge for him. They only have like 5 games left, but for a young player like him trying to get noticed, this time with the team is huge.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 7:52 am

I mean, it's got to be good for him going forward that he was instantly picked up, right? There was a lot of speculation whether he'd ever touch a NHL rink...he did so a week after his last collegiate game.

An I wrong in this thinking?

Hope he gets another shot next season.

fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 am

You are right, but I don't think he will be in the NHL next season. It is a no lose situation for Columbus right now. They have the worst record in the league, but a good young goalie. They don't want to risk him getting hurt worse this season, so they shut him down for the last 5 games.

If Shawn shows enough over the next week, they can offer him a minor league contract and see how he develops. If not, they didn't spend much money to have a back up goalie. Win/win for the Bluejackets.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Agree with FGB---with even ONE frickin' game left were that the case, it's a good sign when they bother to find a uni to fit him and have him dress in it, right out of school. ("That" school, no less, considering where they are).

Knowing of Hunwick's story, here's honestly, honestly hoping he makes it.
If not in the NHL, then in whatever league suits and satisfies him.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:03 pm

I hate saying this but it's true, the NHL is an entirely different monster than College Hockey. Hunwick, after this year, probably won't make an NHL roster. The kid is 5'7". NHL players will just shoot over him. In college, even the absolute best players can't roof a shot 5 times out of 10 tries. In the NHL, the worst players can lift the puck 7 times out of 10.

Most likely, the main reason why Columbus contacted him in the first place was that he was somewhat serviceable and the only person within a 4-hour radius of Columbus who could drive down there to be a back-up goalie.

Think about it, Columbus' season is basically over with no chance of making the playoffs. Their regular #1 Goalie got hurt that day during morning skate which meant that their #2 Goalie had to start. If he gets hurt during the game who will come in? That's when the frantic search for a back-up Goalie ensued. As mentioned previously, Hunwick was probably the only inexpensive option. Columbus wasn't about to fly anyone in to be a back-up Goalie either so Shawn got his chance.

Odds are that Shawn will never get in a game at Columbus but hey, he's on a NHL roster! Jeff Lerg never made it that far...

You've gotta remember, Shawn played a total of 2:12 in his first two years at Michigan. The only reason he got in at Michigan was that both the #1 & #2 Goalies got hurt at Michigan. The next year, he was again slated to be the #3 Goalie, behind a returning Senior and an incoming Freshman. The recruit rescinded on his commitment and went to the OHL, the #1 got hurt 45 minutes before The Big Chill during warm-ups. Shawn was thrust into the starting role again. He elected to come back for a 5th-year last season and he was supposed to be the #1b Goalie, until another Freshman took over. The OHL struck again so we were left with Hunwick. He had a phenomenal year at Michigan but once again, this is College Hockey.

I love Shawn Hunwick but he's going to end up in Europe for a few years before he decides to hang them up. I would absolutely love it if he gets in a NHL game for a substantial period of time and proves me wrong, but I just don't see it.

Good luck Shawn, you will forever and always be the real "Rudy".

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.   OT:  Good for Shawn Hunwick. Empty

Back to top Go down

OT: Good for Shawn Hunwick.
Page 1 of 1