Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

For MichMike: 1970 UM/MSU

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

For MichMike: 1970 UM/MSU Empty
PostSubject: For MichMike: 1970 UM/MSU   For MichMike: 1970 UM/MSU EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 12:29 pm

From your freshman year. It's just silent coaches film. Picture quality is decent but not great. Remember where you were sitting? I assume freshmen had to sit at the top of the bowl like they do today.

This was the first of 17 victories over MSU for Schembechler. You gotta love Bo's domination of Sparty.

Stars of the game:

Billy Taylor - 29 carries for 152 yards and 3 touchdowns
Glenn Doughty - 8 carries for 85 yards and 1 touchdown
Don Moorhead - 12 of 19 for 156 yards and 1 touchdown
Fritz Seyferth caught the lone TD pass.

Looking at the stats archive, it doesn't say who intercepted the pass which set up one of the 3rd quarter touchdowns.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
michmike

For MichMike: 1970 UM/MSU Empty
PostSubject: Re: For MichMike: 1970 UM/MSU   For MichMike: 1970 UM/MSU EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks, as always, your historical highness! (Couldn't respond sooner due to connectivity issue yesterday). Unfortunately, I remember exactly where I was sitting: at the main desk of the I.M. sports building! Believe it or not, I was so naive as to offer to take the Saturday (8-6) shift of supervising the I.M. bldg. as part of my work-study hours...on football Saturdays! This, mind you, was shortly before I became hooked for life. (When asked by my boss, recently-retired Assoc. A.D. Mike Stevenson, a year later, if I'd be interested in the same arrangement, the answer was a smiling but firm "No freaking way!")

Anyway, Billy Talyor, who'd been sort of hamstrung in tight victories over Texas A&M and Washington the prior two weeks, had this to say after the MSU rout: "Wild Bill---back in the saddle."

As we all know, Billy's life tragically came apart at the seams just over a year and a half later. Following his senior season, the town of Barberton OH (his and Bo's hometown) took up a collection so BT's Mom could make the trip to Pasadena to see her son play. She died five days after the game. Less than a month later, his uncle shot and killed his aunt. Engendering his personal depression, surprising to none, which triggered a long decent into alcoholism, etc...which he was, most pleasant to report, able to overcome later in life.

Regardless, thanks for posting that ('70) game...
Back to top Go down

For MichMike: 1970 UM/MSU
Page 1 of 1