Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).

Go down 
+7
michmike
Admin
fishgoblue22
joe
uofmchris
CharlotteGuy
ThatGuy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). Empty
PostSubject: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm

How many people seriously think (not hope even though we're all homers) that Michigan will win a National Championship within the next 10 years?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
CharlotteGuy

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:22 pm

I can see it happening. I will say this will closely depend on our ability to keep Hoke and Mattison around. Mattison will have big time kids wanting to come to Michigan on defense. And the main reason is how Hoke and company are concentrating on the most important positions, the LINE! I feel like the name alone will always get us a star caliber QB. And once we get back to the pro offense I am hoping the top type WR. The main reason I can see it happening though is we are in the Big 10. The rate at which SEC teams rise and fall will catch up with them. (Fingers Crossed).
Back to top Go down
uofmchris

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyThu May 10, 2012 5:48 pm

10 Years? I say 5 Max...

In one season, he brought back Michigan to the national stage... ONE SEASON!

Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyThu May 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Me

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyThu May 10, 2012 8:39 pm

I feel fairly confident saying as long as we get another Class like the 2013 class within 2 years of that one that Michigan "should" win the National Championship in either 2015 or 2016. That is IF (that's a big IF) everyone both signs with Michigan and lives up to their hype. 2015 seems like the year as we get Notre Dame, Nebraska, and ohio at home. There are also rumblings of a Pac-#$^* (however many teams they have by then) scheduling Michigan that season. Although I fear it may be u$c at their place, that would be tough. The arbitrary reason I say that is it will most likely be a home-and-home and for financial reasons it may be scheduled opposite the Notre Dame game. Since rudy is at our place that year if it was only up to us I'd be willing to bet we go out there that year and have u$c come to Michigan the next season when we go to South Bend.

Of course strange things may happen but I'm trying to look at this positively.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyThu May 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Me too.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyThu May 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Great question. Great responses.

I think the 10 year span guideline pretty much puts most of that on Sugar Shane's shoulders. He'll be here for 1/2 of that time. Perhaps another guy comes in after him and runs the offense for 3-4 years, putting a lot of it on his shoulders, but perhaps not.

Here's another reason I say it may have everything to do with Shane...defense still wins championships. Example: Alabama, last year.

"What???"

Here's what I mean:
I think we have Mattison for 5 more years MAX. MAX. MAX. So, that 10 year guideline takes another 'hit', for a lack of better word. That five years will encompass (or come close to) the duration of Morris' career.

We may not have a better DC/QB combination over the next 15 years. Who knows?

In conclusion, I think if we do win a NC in the next 10 years, our best chances are that it will actually happen within the next 5-6 years.

So, we'll see what Sugar Shane is really made of (and hope that GMat and Hoke continue to bring in defensive studs).

michmike

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 7:53 am

I'll chime in with a YEA vote as well. You merely stipulated "Within 10 years", Addy, so I'll not say when I think it will happen; only that I think it will (by 2022).

The coach of SDSU, when we played them last September, who took over Brady's job there, chimed in thusly: "It's not a question of 'if' Brady Hoke will win a NC at Michigan...only a question of 'when'."

Most of the responders rightly pointed out legit. reasons for it, too: our excellent staff which is emphasizing the line play. (Shit, where else do you win or lose games? Meaning, to a greater extent?) And not only will the name help land us star skill-position players, as Char noted, but so will the fact those guys will have stellar lines to operate behind (that goes for 4* and 5* LBs and DBs, too). To say nothing, of course, of NFL-style
offenses and defenses coached by NFL-caliber coaches. (In one case, a star NFL D.C...ask one Ray Lewis)
Back to top Go down
dwoody

dwoody

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Of course. Who would dare to say no?
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 1:11 pm

I vote yes but I'm going to take it a step further than recruiting, systems, schemes or the ability of big name coaches to get big name recruits.

Of course focusing on the lines and defense and pro-style sets and getting back to smash mouth B1G ten football will be key but, the main reason I say yes is because I believe that a playoff system in college football will be implemented within the next 3 years and to add to that, I think that a playoff system would benefit the B1G Ten greatly because it will (or should) bring northern site playoff games into play.

I'd have to do some research but I'd be willing to bet a beer and a brat that Michigan has the best record against SEC teams of all of the teams, in any conference, that have played at least 25 games against SEC opponents.

Michigan has compiled, what I think is a pretty damn nice record against the SEC, basically in the SEC opponents' back yards (i.e. the warm weather south)

Hell, I was at the Cap One bowl game in 2008 when UM beat Florida. There were times when I felt like I was the only M fan there. UM came out on top in a close game but really, that game wasn't even that close. Hart fumbled twice on the goal line and UM had like 4 or 5 turnovers. It always made me wonder that if we could beat a power SEC team in their own backyard then how much better would we do if they had to come to our house and play in the cold.

To get back on topic, I think regional games in a playoff system will greatly enhance UM's chance of getting to and winning a NC.

joe

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Eggo, I did just a little research on Team records against the SEC.

I chose from my own mind who may have a decent record against them.

Basically, percentage wise, Michigan is at 20-6 or over 75%. Next would be Nebraska at 19-7 or about 72%. Then comes ND at 21-13, Texas at 95-46 (They've played Arkansas every year.) and USC is 16-10.

I know Michigan is the best in the B1G because I ran that down one time. If I remember correctly PSU is 2nd behind us. And I think Indiana has played the most games against the SEC because they used to play Kentucky every year.

So, those were the teams that I could think of that had more than 1 or 2 or 5 games against the SEC.

BTW, Ohio is 7-12 and MSU is fabulous comparatively at 6-8.

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 2:42 pm

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

Michigan has compiled, what I think is a pretty damn nice record against the SEC, basically in the SEC opponents' back yards (i.e. the warm weather south)

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

...It always made me wonder that if we could beat a power SEC team in their own backyard then how much better would we do if they had to come to our house and play in the cold.

There is no way that a SEC team would ever come north of the Mason-Dixon line to play in a playoff game. Heck, we could only get Vandy (I think) to come up to our house (and I'm guessing part of that deal was allowing them to snoop around all of our medical facilities) and that was in September when the weather was still decent. Good luck getting 'bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, or any of the other SEC schools to come up here in January.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 3:01 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
sandyeggo_blue wrote:

sandyeggo_blue wrote:

...It always made me wonder that if we could beat a power SEC team in their own backyard then how much better would we do if they had to come to our house and play in the cold.

There is no way that a SEC team would ever come north of the Mason-Dixon line to play in a playoff game. Heck, we could only get Vandy (I think) to come up to our house (and I'm guessing part of that deal was allowing them to snoop around all of our medical facilities) and that was in September when the weather was still decent. Good luck getting 'bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, or any of the other SEC schools to come up here in January.

Hopefully a playoff system would implement home field advantage and that would make some of the southern and western schools come up to B1G country.

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Yes, hopefully. However, the "mighty" SEC will never let that happen.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
eGrandpa

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 4:31 pm

I really do. This is Michigan, fergodsakes.

I see Hoke continue to excel in the recruiting aspect....this consistency and top level coaching will lead to a NC.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 5:21 pm

eGrandpa wrote:
I really do. This is Michigan, fergodsakes.

I see Hoke continue to excel in the recruiting aspect....this consistency and top level coaching will lead to a NC.

I agree although do you think our 'Maize & Blue glasses' might make us a little biased?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 5:24 pm

eGrandpa wrote:
...this consistency and top level coaching will lead to a NC.

That's typically been the formula for the past NC winners so I can't argue with you there.

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). EmptyFri May 11, 2012 5:25 pm

A very good chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).   Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format). Empty

Back to top Go down

Here's a forum poll (but it isn't in a Poll format).
Page 1 of 1