Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Penn State Defectors

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

Penn State Defectors Empty
PostSubject: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Might as well start a thread on this and watch the sparks fly.

Here is actually the second decommit to date-

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1204548.html

Also worth noting is the B1G is still deciding if current players can transfer within the conference. Once that decision is made I am sure we will be seeing their current roster change.

Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 1:44 pm

They are currently considering teams that pick up a PSU transfer to do so without it counting against roster restrictions. IMO this could end up being far worse than the death penalty. PSU might not have enough players to field a team left over of all restrictions to transfer are removed.

http://mobile.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/7/23/3177402/penn-state-football-roster-ncaa-transfers
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 3:11 pm

That almost makes me wish that PSU was on our schedule this year, an "easy win". Maybe. But if people don't transfer (Jr's & Sr's) Penn State could sneak-up on people. However, 2 years from now Pedd State will be horrible.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 am

Rumors are that Silas Redd will head to USC....

We've also just re-offered a 4-star CB who committed to PSU, Ross Douglas.

BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 4:14 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/sports/ncaafootball/for-penn-state-players-and-recruits-rush-is-on.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120725

Rush Is on for Penn State Players and Recruits

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Joe Lusardi is a 58-year-old high school coach in Randolph, N.J. He does not own a cellphone, preferring to communicate “the old-fashioned way,” face to face or using a landline. Others tend to value their time more, and his.

Yet even a technological hermit like Lusardi has been reachable and overwhelmed this week, after the N.C.A.A. levied devastating sanctions against the Penn State football program. Along with the sanctions — which included depth-depleting scholarship limits and a four-year postseason ban — the N.C.A.A. granted current Penn State players and incoming freshmen the right to transfer to any other university, without being blocked by Penn State and without having to sit out a year.

It was an unprecedented step that has set off a flurry of activity among coaches from other teams, who are calling Penn State players and recruits, and those close to them, to gauge their interest in transferring or rescinding their commitments to the Nittany Lions.

“It’s a madhouse,” said Lusardi, who coaches Brendan Mahon, a highly rated offensive lineman who committed to play at Penn State in 2013. “They’ll call you or they’ll e-mail you, and if I don’t answer, they’ll try and get in touch.”

He added: “Once the ruling came out, everybody that had Brendan on their sheet, anywhere from UMass to Oregon, to U.C.L.A., to Wisconsin. Name a school, and I’ll tell you.”

The N.C.A.A. has stipulated that other programs must notify Penn State of their interest in a player, and that a player must request permission to seek a transfer. If those conditions have been met, teams may travel anywhere to visit a player, or call the players at any time — both of which would normally be against N.C.A.A. rules — until Penn State’s first day of classes on Aug. 27.

The players will be allowed to transfer before this season, at any time during the season if they haven’t competed for Penn State, or prior to the 2013 season. They will be allowed to play immediately for their new universities, which will be permitted to exceed scholarship limits in taking on the Penn State players if they deduct that amount for the next season.

As it was during their high school recruitment, Penn State players interested in transferring will be allowed five official visits to other universities during the 2012-13 academic year. Complicating the process is the fact that many teams will begin preseason practice within two weeks.

“It’s literally turned into a free-for-all free agency,” said Tom Luginbill, ESPN’s national recruiting analyst, adding, “The N.C.A.A. has opened the door for any program that chooses to, to raid this roster.”

Because Penn State’s coaches have no incentive to go beyond what the N.C.A.A. demands for opposing teams, high school coaches like Lusardi have become an important conduit between players and the programs now pursuing them.

Penn State’s 2013 recruits, like Mahon, have only verbally committed to the university, and can renege without any repercussions until next February, just like all recruits around the country. The challenges facing the Nittany Lions program have caused speculation that those recruits will contemplate choosing another program that has a chance to play in a bowl game or win a national championship.

All of this has left the first-year Penn State coach Bill O’Brien scrambling. Shortly after the sanctions were announced Monday, O’Brien called a team meeting in which he reportedly reminded his players their games would still be televised.

“He’s got to sell the resurrection,” Luginbill said, adding that O’Brien also could emphasize his experience as an assistant with the New England Patriots but, “aside from that, he doesn’t have a lot to sell.”

A few hours after the meeting, Adam Breneman, considered the top tight end prospect in the class of 2013, called O’Brien, who assured Breneman he would be staying. O’Brien spoke of the importance of his class in rebuilding the program, said Brian Breneman, Adam’s father.

As of Tuesday afternoon, O’Brien told reporters, no current player had requested permission to leave. Breneman is one of three players — current running back Silas Redd and Christian Hackenberg, a top quarterback prospect in the 2013 class, are the others — that are drawing the most attention.

Redd, the junior running back who ran for more than 1,200 yards in 2011, generated 25 to 30 calls Monday, made to his father, Silas Redd Sr., or his high school coach, Dan Gouin. ESPN reported that Southern California had notified Penn State it was interested in Redd.

Teams would “call and say, ‘Hey, if he wants to take a look, we need a tailback,’ ” Gouin said.

Gerald Hodges, Penn State’s leading tackler, received calls Monday, but “would not entertain them,” according to his father, Gerald Hodges Sr.

Meanwhile, Breneman has become somewhat of a leader for the 2013 class, communicating with other recruits via text message and speaking regularly with O’Brien. Breneman and Hackenberg had become friends, and before Monday had expressed excitement about spearheading a new era at Penn State, Breneman’s father said. Breneman reaffirmed his commitment Monday, but Brian Breneman later said: “Everything’s brand new and fresh. And there’s a lot of emotion behind everything right now, so we want to sort out the facts.”

John Shuman, Hackenberg’s high school coach, said he would advise Hackenberg to take his time before making a decision.

“It’s a 17-year old kid,” Shuman said. “I think everybody wants to know because he was the first recruit. He was, more or less, as you call it in the country, the bell cow, that everybody figures, what Christian does, everybody will follow. That’s a lot of responsibility on a young kid — do you want that kind of responsibility?”

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 1:07 pm

Good post, 2nd.

WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Good article 2nd.

While I would love to see Michigan steal a player or two to address some depth issues I do respect the players that stay. Particularly these recruits that will have to wait 3 years to see a bowl game. Whoever stay, well they won't be a champion but I will pull for them. They have a tough road ahead.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 1:24 pm

I really hope there isn't a mass exodus. I hope PSU rebuilds. It sounds like Breneman is their Morris. The "captain" of the commits.

And, I hope O'Brien has some success. I'm sure it will be limited at first because of the situation, but he seems like a leader, and I will be pulling for him.
Back to top Go down
psuatgvsu

psuatgvsu

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Most will stay now. The time I fear is at the end of this season before spring practices. This will be the time period when they try to get the players.
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:48 pm

psuatgvsu wrote:
Most will stay now. The time I fear is at the end of this season before spring practices. This will be the time period when they try to get the players.

I agree, but the NCAA should not allow that. I think once they play this year, normal transfer rules should apply.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I agree, but the NCAA should not allow that. I think once they play this year, normal transfer rules should apply.

That sounds plausible, good question. I "think" (please note I don't know) that clause would be good for 1 calander year.

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
Back to top Go down
psuatgvsu

psuatgvsu

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:58 pm

I agree Fish. Emmert really wanted to hammer PSU as you can tell. Now he is looking foolish (coaches flocking PSU's campus) while he tries to preach about academics over football.
Back to top Go down
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 10:51 am

Silas Redd at B1G Media Day for PSU. Transfer seems imminent.
Back to top Go down
psuatgvsu

psuatgvsu

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 11:33 am

There are no PSU players at Media Day this year.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:28 pm

First reported there would be.

Then reported there would NOT be.

Then this morning it was revealed that in fact, yes, there will be some there.

NOT on that list: Silas Redd, who just got out of a 3-hour meeting with USC's Lane Kiffin out in Connecticut.

Kiffin went balls to the wall...showed up with a powerpoint presentation and everything of how Redd would fit into their program. Sources are telling ESPN's Joe Schadd that the meeting went very well. Source said Redd may fly out to LA on Saturday to visit the campus, could have decision made by Monday.

psuatgvsu

psuatgvsu

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't harbor any ill will to Silas Redd if he leaves. It still doesnt mean that I have to like Lane Kiffin. He is such a scumbag. It is what it is though.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:51 pm

I would feel the same way towards Redd if I were a PSU supporter.

And I agree, Kiffin is the greasiest schmuck in CFB. He's the Calipari of this sport, imho.

WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Beat me to it Admin.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Lol

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penn State Defectors   Penn State Defectors Empty

Back to top Go down

Penn State Defectors
Page 1 of 1