Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... Empty
PostSubject: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Again, from Freep's Mark Snyder:

"The divisions were divided by "seeds" over a 20-year perdiod (Michigan/Ohio State, PSU/Nebraska, Iowa/Wisco) then on from there."

Funny thing, when you analyze that....Michigan State AT BEST was the #7 seed. lol

This is from his Twitter. I'm sure there will be more details in the article he'll subsequently write on it.

Very interesting though, to say the least.
Back to top Go down
https://mgoforum.forumotion.com
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Brian Griese actually explained the setup last year when he was doing color commentary for an MSU game.

He said they took the 4 programs with the most success the last 20 years (Michigan, OSU, Nebraska, PSU) and put two in each division. This process was repeated for the middle programs and the bottom dwellers during this same time period. Seeding, as you put it.

Makes perfect sense. But with Penn State's downfall and Ohio State's punishment from Tat-gate, the divisions are insanely uneven this year. Wisconsin basically has a free ride to the Big Ten title game this year.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah I would kill to be in the other division this year.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Can you provide a link to that showing the seeds? I would LOVE to post that all over my sparty buddies wall and ask him if he still think that sparty is still a Top 4 team in the conference...
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 pm

2ndComingOfBo wrote:
Can you provide a link to that showing the seeds? I would LOVE to post that all over my sparty buddies wall and ask him if he still think that sparty is still a Top 4 team in the conference...

I don't know of any link but looking up the stats for the 20 years leading up to last season, (which is what the conference based their seeds on) it goes as follows:

From 1991 - 2010...

1. Nebraska: 193-61-1
2. Ohio State: 174-51-2
3. Michigan: 172-72-3
4. Penn State: 170-75
5. Wisconsin: 166-79-4
6. Iowa: 142-99-2
7. Michigan State: 120-119-3
8. Purdue: 117-119-3
9. Northwestern: 110-127-1
10: Minnesota: 99-138
11: Illinois: 94-138-2
12. Indiana: 86-143-1

If not for those 3 horrible seasons under RichRod, we would be firm at #2 with Ohio State having to vacate it's 2010 season. And this was obviously calculated before Penn State had to vacate 112 wins.

But you can still remind your Sparty friends that not only are they just 1 game above .500 during that time, they are 62nd in the nation in winning percentage.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
WillieMfan

WillieMfan

PostSubject: Re: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Good stuff as always WH.
Back to top Go down
BetterThansparty

BetterThansparty

PostSubject: Re: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Thank You WH, that info. is posted on his facebook wall now. I'm actually very surprised that Nebraska has done that well.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 9:22 am

It was the 80's and 90's under Osbourne that makes Nebraska look that good.

Then came in that yahoo from the Raiders, Callahan, or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...   Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon... Empty

Back to top Go down

Details on how the divisions were decided...per Brandon...
Page 1 of 1