Members, please sign in.

Members, please sign in.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB

Go down 
+2
WolverineHistorian
fishgoblue22
6 posters
AuthorMessage
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB Empty
PostSubject: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 8:23 am

Michigan has converted 23-of-33 third downs with Gardner in the past three games -- a whopping 69.7 percent.

It converted 47 percent in its first eight games.

Gardner accounted for 18 of the 23 conversions, 10 by air and eight by ground.

Gardner is 10-of-13 passing for 165 yards, five touchdowns and no picks on third down. Each completion achieved a first down.

Gardner ran 10 times on third down, gaining a first down eight times and scoring two touchdowns.

Michigan converted 6-of-9 third downs that required at least 10 yards. Gardner was 5-of-6 passing for 121 yards and four touchdowns in those situations.

Michigan converted all three third downs of longer than 10 yards.

Last edited by fishgoblue22 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WolverineHistorian

WolverineHistorian

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 9:49 am

Those are impressive stats. And it all started with a 45 yard TD pass on 3rd and 17 in that Minnesota game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/WolverineHistorian
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 8:59 am

Since I'm one of maybe 30 people (by my cursory count) here today (TG Friday) in a building normally employing 3,700, I guess I can sneak in a post, wouldn't you say.

Yes, impressive indeed. I knew DG had been highly impressive and effective in his three starts, and particularly effective on 3rd down...but wasn't aware, till I saw Fish's stats-post, that he's been that effective.

As I said before: we are set at QB next year. DG's arm (strength and accuracy), his height (thus better sightlines and fewer batted-down-at-the-line passes), his mobility, and above all, his the-team-the-team attitude. Throw in the return of Gallon, Dileo, Funchess and our comers, along with Rawls and (hopefully) Fitz, and we're set---in the backfield and out wide.

It's what's in between the ends that worries me. I thought we lost 3/5 (we all know Taylor's gone, don't we?) of our OL...Fish corrected me on Barnum, so that's 4/5 we lose. And no offense is any better than its OL...as we all also know.

Kalis, Bryant, Bars and Manguson might all be ready, as sophomores, to play on a B-10 offensive line...we'll see. What will be most interesting will be which of them is converted to center.

Defensively, we should be pretty solid in '13.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 11:21 am

I absolutely positively refuse to say our back-ups are better than our starters.

But with O-Line being our weak link (in my eyes) I don't mind an overhaul so much. The chance that Taylor comes back makes it better. Don't know when he's making that decision..

We have a lot of skill players returning so if theline can be OK we'll be OK offensively.

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 11:34 am

THEstjoemfan wrote:
I absolutely positively refuse to say our back-ups are better than our starters.

But with O-Line being our weak link (in my eyes) I don't mind an overhaul so much. The chance that Taylor comes back makes it better. Don't know when he's making that decision..

We have a lot of skill players returning so if theline can be OK we'll be OK offensively.

Oh, I agree 100% with the first point. Hoke and Co. are far too intelligent, objective, and team-oriented to keep the best player at any position on the sidelines. The starters are starters for a reason, as you imply.

I think, Joe, the chance that Taylor comes back is around 15-85...at best. He's projected to go in the first 10 picks by most "experts"...who, I confess, generally are experts when it comes to how the NFL draft actually pans out afterwards. Then again, I could be wrong (and hope I am); he saw Denard come back (though most likely DR will not be a first-round pick, unless someone's really interested in another "Slash" a la Antoine Randall-El). And, of course, Taylor loves playing for Brady (which of them doesn't?) and sees what a genuine 5* Devin has become...to say nothing of practicing against our defensive returnees every day and knowing what they could be next year.
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:10 pm

I think you're right. It's about 15% he comes back.

I'm going to go on record and say he will fall within that 15% and be a Michigan Wolverine next year.

Let's face it. What Pro team and teammates are going to put up with him riding a Tandem bicycle around? In AA he's a cult hero.

In my mind (I was going to say "The fact is" but I don't have them in front of me) he committed more penalties this year. He did more stupid things this year. I felt he thought he was "The Shit" if you get my drift. Let's face it. Pro players will tear him apart. Everyone in the pros is as good as Taylor Lewan. Very few collegians are.

In my mind he's not mentally or socially ready to play pro football.

JMHO

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Decent argument. It's true enough that he's got some "baggage". But how many top-flight NFL draftees don't? And much "heavier" baggage than his, in many cases...

As for all NFL linemen being [at least] as good as he is, that's true right now. But how about "As good as Taylor could potentially become"? That's what some NFL owner will lay down the bucks for.

Sorry, but I say he goes pro. Money talks, after all.
Back to top Go down
michmike

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:40 pm

ALSO---Joe, if you prove the better prognosticator on this one, trust me:
it will be the sweetest, juiciest, tastiest, most delectable meal of crow on which I've
feasted in quite some time...
Back to top Go down
fishgoblue22

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:51 pm

I think the younger linemen are more talented than the current starters in the middle, but that doesn't mean they are better. I think they will be better with added weight and coaching, but going with experience was the right move this year.

I would put the percentage of Lewan coming back around 5%. Heck, why would he turn down millions? To ride a tandem bike, I doubt that.

Last edited by fishgoblue22 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sandyeggo_blue

sandyeggo_blue

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 12:54 pm

fishgoblue22 wrote:
I think the younger linemen are more talented than the current starters in the middle, but that doesn't mean they are better. I think they will be better with added weight and coaching, but going with experience was the right move this year.

yep, I feel like the upside is better in the young crop.

Of the many things we've learned about this staff over the last two years, one of the more important points is that they can coach. Their is no doubt in my mind that the kids will be ready for opening day and they will get progressively better as the year goes on.

joe

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Hey Mike, if the situation arises, I will glady cook that for you any way you wish! lol

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Yes, given your culinary skills...and if the situation does arise, I'll even
furnish the Coleman Stove fuel for you...whilst I'm sure Fish will furnish
the crow. Hell, he goes hunting for his most hated birds all the time, and
probably can't tell a crow from a raven, eh, Fish?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 2:54 pm

So tell me, what's the difference between a Raven, a Crow and a blackbird?

I have seen some of the biggest "crows" in my life in the UP. I swore they were wild turkeys they were so big.

What is the difference?

fishgoblue22

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 3:16 pm

I wouldn't know, need to do an Audobon google search.
Back to top Go down
ThatGuy

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm

THEstjoemfan wrote:
So tell me, what's the difference between a Raven, a Crow and a blackbird?

I have seen some of the biggest "crows" in my life in the UP. I swore they were wild turkeys they were so big.

What is the difference?

Their names....

No, seriously that sounds like a joke. A Raven, a Crow, and a Blackbird walk into a bar...

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 pm

I would think they would "fly" into a bar... lol

Or

A raven a crow and a blackbird fly into a window...

ThatGuy

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 2:38 am

I considered that but how many jokes start out "A blank, blank, and a blank FLY into a bar"?

sandyeggo_blue wrote:
that's some first ballot hall of fame stalking on your part. How in the world did you find that guy. I guess the better question is why?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB   Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB Empty

Back to top Go down

Look at these stats on 3rd down with Gardner at QB
Page 1 of 1